Noisy B4

Old 10-26-2010, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by storytyme View Post
I have no idea if I flipped the gears around or not because I did not mark them. Do you think the best and cheapest way to start is to get a new diff gear, idler gear and spur gear, mark em, and start fresh??

Also, how does a top-shaft get worn or what should I look for???

Thanks in advance.
top shaft ~ worn teeth

For about 15 bucks you can replace all 3 gears. You might want to look at the pinion and spur too. It doesn't take much wear to get noisy. Spend the money on a quality hardened pinion as well, they're worth the extra couple bucks.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I have no idea if I flipped the gears around or not because I did not mark them. Do you think the best and cheapest way to start is to get a new diff gear, idler gear and spur gear, mark em, and start fresh??

Thanks in advance.
If you look at the teeth on the top shaft/idler gear, they will appear to be pointed. Maybe only when you look from one end. Hold them up to a light and look from the end of them. (not too bright of a light ) You can see the shape of the teeth easier that way. If they are nice and pointy, replace for sure.
The noise could be a bearing in your motor too. So take the pinion off and power it up to see how loud the motor is as well. All the noise adds up to a loud car.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:52 AM
Tech Legend

Thanks in advance.
Compare your's to a brand new shaft and judge ...
Old 10-27-2010, 09:08 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

So I finally had a chance to wrench on the tranny and found out that indeed it was a bit too tight when attached to the motor plate. I thought I left it loose enough, but not so. Plus my diff that I rebuilt a week or so ago needed another rebuild. Those things plus new shaft, spur and idler gears it is much quieter.....plus the pledge!

Thanks to everyone on their input.

Mike
Old 10-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thats great. Glad you got it all worked out.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede View Post
funny you mention this. because i just built a b4.1 its only a couple days old and its LOUD while my sc10 (same tranny) is super quiet.

After tearing them both down to compare they both look fine except my b4 diff bearings only allow my diff to spin 5 times when i flick it with my hand while my sc10 bearings allow it to spin 20+ times. this is the only difference i found.. why this is like this on brand new bearings is beyond me. im still trying to find the noise because while these bearings are tight they are not noisy.. im going to purchase a whole new tranny because im lost on finding the noise.
Seeing the same issue here. Me and a buddy both built brand new b4.1s last week and they are both horrendously loud. His sc10 that hes had for a few months has been quiet from the day he got it.

I have tried a new stock top shaft, Mip alum top shaft, Custom works idler gear, Mip diff gear, 2 different spur gears, a brand new pinion, and even a brand new motor. Still cant get my car to not sound like a clapped out Traxxas RTR.
Old 10-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

My guess would be bad pinion or spur and off chance that your gear mesh is loose could cause this.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:37 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

spurs make a huge difference. When I ran an AE spur, my B4.1 sounded noisy as heck. When I went to a Kimburough spur gear, the car was silent as mouse...
Old 10-27-2011, 06:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie View Post
Did you overtighten the screw that goes through the wing mount?
THIS!

I ended up block sanding the idler gear to make it about 0.5mm narrower. Before, I couldn't tighten the gear box down at all without crazy noises and binding...now its WAY smoother and a crap load quieter. I may do the same to the diff gear during my next rebuild.