R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-08-2004, 10:28 AM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default 7 cell solder diagram/ 5 volt ESC fan

I have a 5800 brushless and want more power. I called Novak and talked to their customer service and talked to them about what I wanted to do. They said it was designed for use up to 7 cells. The guy suggested to use a ESC fan and plug it right into the receiver. Can anyone please give me a link to a soldering diagram for the 7 cell configuration and also a link or where I can get the 5 volt fan that he said would screw between the fins with a # 4 size screw. Can any of you who have added a cell tell me how much more power you got doing this.Thanks Tom
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 10:56 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I didn't see a huge power increase, but I did see some extra top end with the 7th cell. When you add a cell just remember that it goes in series with the others. + to - I don't know what kind of packs you are using. If they are side by sides, just copy what is already there for the 7th cell.

I use a fan on my controller, but it is larger than the heatsink so I use a bracket to hold it above the controller. I am not sure what size it is that would fit like they are saying but you can check places like Jameco Electronics or Digikey

http://www.jameco.com

http://www.digikey.com

You will have to do some measuring to find out what size you need to fit the way they are saying to do it.

Also, if you are using a JR receiver you will have to plug the fan into the 3rd channel slot since I don't believe the battery slot will supply power, only receive it.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Yea, daaaa, I do have room in my T4,just pull out the foam blocks. I was thinking adding it to the top , hump back style but you are right just add another one in series. You really did not see any increase in acceleration? What about the increase in weight? Will I notice any difference in handling? Could the added weight be killing the acceleration?
Tom P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 03:59 PM   #4
Tech Elite

I ran 7 cells in both my T3 and my XX4 and both seemed to have higher top end, but you may be right, the extra weight may hurt the acceleration. I think the limit of that motor systems acceleration is the controller. Torque is a function of current and if the controller can't pass any more current, the motor will not have any more torque. The added weight may make you truck feel "heavy" in the turns and landing off of jumps. By Heavy, I mean it may feel like it reacts slower to steering inputs, it may take longer to stop, and it may bottom out easier landing the jumps. All of which can be compensated for with spring and oil changes if you feel it to be necessary. I have run my T3 with 8 and 12 cells and it really only felt bad with 12 (both were with my Lehner basic 4200 motor). Give it a try and see what you think. I have found that keeping the controller cool is the best way to get better performance from mid-run to the end of the run. Cool FET's have lower resistance and will allow more current to flow.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Reedy sells a clip on motor heatsink that comes with a fan for cooling your brushes, the fan is exactly the right size for the novak esc and comes with a connector for your receiver already installed.

You can order just the fan by itself, the part number is asc448

Here's a pic of the unit:

stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 02:05 AM   #6
Tech Regular

I use an XS3 and the battery slot does supply power- I use that slot to power up a fan that I used to cool a revolution in an SB sport.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:56 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Interesting maybe mine needs to be sent in for repairs.