R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-07-2004, 04:26 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe
Default I have a nub off-road question

Well, some of you may know me, and those of you who do know I dont race off-road, but I have a gearing question. Our local off-road track is hosting a three day electric off-road race, and the hobby shop owner is wanting me to run his Yokomo 4wd buggy. I am not sure the exact name, but I think it is called the MR4-BC Special edition. I just needed to know what kind of gearing do I need to run with a 9 turn motor. As in final drive ratio. And then of course if you could give me the internal ratio, so that I can figure out what gears I need to get the final drive you give me.
Thanks a lot,
Mike
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:50 AM   #2
Tech Addict

It's usually in the manual. It's a good place to start if you don't get any help on here.
Ybakoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:05 AM   #3
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

I think some of the generalizations on motors is pinion size 8 - 10 over the wind, depending on the drag in the drivetrain, weight, etc.

I would start at 8 over the wind ( 17T pinion for you on the stock spur ) and see how it goes. check and see that you are topping out at the end of the longest straight, gear accordingly.
Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did a little extrapolation from the Losi XXX4 manual. They say to get a 9 turn at 11.36:1. I am not sure what the final drive of the BC is, but the touring car that it is based on has a 2.2 internal ratio. So, 11.36 divided by 2.2 gives 5.16 . Take you spur divided by 5.16 to get your pinion gear. If you had a 78 tooth spur, that would give a 15 tooth pinion. This is all a guess and based on Losi numbers, but it might be resonable.
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:36 PM   #5
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

A 9 TURN!? I hope you are Masami-san in disguise

Anyway, 17-18 tooth pinion is usually good for a 10 turn single ...

See the Yokomo MR4-BC Super Dogfighter 2 thread on this board for a bit more info.

'nuff said,
MX4
YoKoMo-MX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 04:53 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

9 turn isn't that hard to run in a 4wd. 2wd - That's a different story. 4wd is kind of a point and shoot buggy.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 05:34 PM   #7
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by jkerr0043
9 turn isn't that hard to run in a 4wd. 2wd - That's a different story. 4wd is kind of a point and shoot buggy.
No, not too hard, but probably overkill (depending on the skill of the driver, track conditions, etc.).

If your batteries can run a 9 turn for 5 min, go for it.

As for the point-and-shoot comment ( by the way) ... Some people drive 4WD that way, but a good setup will handle like it is on rails ... no pointing and shooting involved!

'nuff said,
MX4
YoKoMo-MX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The point and shoot ref. was made to compare to 2wd where it's all about throttle control. 4wd you're able to drive a lot more aggresively than you can a 2wd. That's why I said it's not too difficult to run a 9 turn in one as opposed to a 2wd. I'm selling my 4wd right now because it's spoiling me for 2wd. You get used to having all that grip and such a great handling car and then throw down the 2wd and it's a totally different driving style.
Jon Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #9
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to =MisFitz= NuKe Send a message via Yahoo to =MisFitz= NuKe

Quote:
Originally posted by YoKoMo-MX4
No, not too hard, but probably overkill (depending on the skill of the driver, track conditions, etc.).

If your batteries can run a 9 turn for 5 min, go for it.

As for the point-and-shoot comment ( by the way) ... Some people drive 4WD that way, but a good setup will handle like it is on rails ... no pointing and shooting involved!

'nuff said,
MX4
my batts can handle a 7 turn, but that is besides the point, anyways, I think I will start at about a 15 and go from there, thanks to all who replied.
=MisFitz= NuKe is offline   Reply With Quote