Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
My 2 wd Slash loves to munch spur gears >

My 2 wd Slash loves to munch spur gears

My 2 wd Slash loves to munch spur gears

Old 10-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

The Slash gearbox has no tollerances, just put in the 32p (0.8mod) & be done with it.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:32 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Not "really:kind of sof?" -->> REALLY soft!
The Robinson pinions that come in the economy six packs are among the softest steel pinions available. Only the Traxxas OEM Slash pinion is softer.

That explains your problem with eating spur gears. Once the pinion starts to wear, the teeth becopme sharper and sharper until they are knife edged. Any new spur you put on will get chewed up quickly.

I have seen this on Slashes owned by many people. I tell everyone the same thing: Get a Losi pinion.

Losi pinions are the hardest steel pinions I have found. They are heat treated and are harder than most files. I have run the same Losi pinion on my Slash for over two years and only changed the spur gear a few months ago. No matter how much grit gets embedded in the spur, it will not wear out a Losi pinion (unless you are running in Diamond Dust ).
Yeah the pinion was getting kind of sharp (and I use the term "kinda" loosely.) I used the old pinion to shave with this am and it worked better than my Gillette. It looks like it'll be Losi next time. Thanks for the tip! I only went with the RRP from what I heard on this forum and word of mouth. Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2010, 06:44 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

IMO the problem is that the actual transmission housing and what the motor bolts up to is Plastic, so with a motor with a fair bit of torque (ie brushless) the housing can flex and this can cause the gear mesh to move.