Wiki Posts
Search

ESC / Motor combo for 4x4 sc..

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 12:22 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default ESC / Motor combo for 4x4 sc..

Hey guys I am planning on either getting a 4x4sc or converting my D8 over to E power..

Wondering what is considered the best Combo for one of the OFNA 4x4sc's? Thinking Tekin or Castle around a 5.5 turn motor..

If I convert the D8 I have a MMMonster and 1800kv I'm gonna use, motor is a Castle also.. If i go SC then I'll be selling the buggy and combo, to recoup some $$ toward the SC..

Anyway, back to original Q, what is considered the best 4x4 ESC/Motor combo? Will be running 2s power...
Old 10-14-2010, 12:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is what me and Chad Bradley run, this combo has won nearly every big race in SoCal

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...otor-Combo-45T
Old 10-14-2010, 02:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
this is what me and Chad Bradley run, this combo has won nearly every big race in SoCal

+1,everyone runs this combo here with good luck.I drove my freinds and it was very smooth and the power was very linear.Mine has a mamba max pro with the novak 550 4.5t ballistic and it is great.I do have to use a plug in capacitor but it costs 6 dollars from spektrum and it plugs right into the receiver.I run the jammin scrt-10.I would only recommend this truck to you,no ofna,no traxxas,JAMMIN.
Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Howdy Scott!

I run a Slash 4 x 4 and have been very happy with an Xcellerin sensored speed control and a 8.5 motor.

This set up complies with the current PROVISIONAL ROAR rules which are being adopted more and more at tracks around the country. In fact, I think that it's this rule set which is being run at Springfield, MO but I'm not 100% sure.

Certainly there is a huge debate on this but from my experience (at the Nats in Joliet, IL - large track) this combo works just fine - truck was scary fast and yet it didn't get even moderately hot - like 105 - 110 degrees. This was gearing 54/13 so I'm sure that there was at least a tooth to go but really couldn't use the extra speed.... It's a 1/10th scale truck using 1/10th scale electronics and does a nice job.

IF you go with either the Jammin or the Hong Nor you are purchasing a 1/8th scale vehicle which has be adapted to 1/10th scale. AND, they work very well BUT there is a weight penalty involved with the aluminum chassis and larger components - and this translates to heat and pack usage. AND, the weight of these trucks is why many prefer the 550 motors for club racing where that is permitted. Who knows where the future is going to be on these vehicles - Losi has a proto that is derived from 10T parts - which is on the heavier side of things and to the best of my knowledge no one has SEEN anything from Associated to this point.

So, you might check with the guys over at Enid and see what they're running (since they're relatively close to you) and also verify what is being run at Springfield.

Good luck with this - they are a LOT of fun to drive and I'll be happy to let you wheel mine if you're planning on making the SC race at Jeff City on the 30th....
Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 AM
Company Representative

Originally Posted by imaxx21

We suggest our 550 size motors for these heavier 4x4 vehicles; our 540 size motors can work fine, but the larger, 550 motor (twice the stator and rotor length) allows much cooler running = better performance. Our 550s have beefier 5mm shafts, which hold up better in these SCTs. We sell both size motors, so this recommendation is based on our experience.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the info guys, I will take it under advisement..

Chris K, thnaks for the offer, but I won't be in Jeff on the 30th, just to far to drive, with nothing to race.. Actually Sprindfield is way closer, then Enid. KC and Enid would be about the same distance and drive time.. I am in the furthest NE corner of OK.. Any farther NE and I would be in MO..

I really like the Jammin, and Hyper Sc trucks, they make more sense to me, being a 1/8 driver.. I wish more companies would release 1/8 based SC, but only time will tell.. My first truggy was a Jammin, so that is the direction I am leaning currently.. I know where I can pick up either one used for $175, w/ extras..
Old 10-14-2010, 12:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by (MRC)Scotty!
Thanks for the info guys, I will take it under advisement..

Chris K, thnaks for the offer, but I won't be in Jeff on the 30th, just to far to drive, with nothing to race.. Actually Sprindfield is way closer, then Enid. KC and Enid would be about the same distance and drive time.. I am in the furthest NE corner of OK.. Any farther NE and I would be in MO..

I really like the Jammin, and Hyper Sc trucks, they make more sense to me, being a 1/8 driver.. I wish more companies would release 1/8 based SC, but only time will tell.. My first truggy was a Jammin, so that is the direction I am leaning currently.. I know where I can pick up either one used for $175, w/ extras..
Do you ever race at Adams Creek in Broken Arrow? Great track and great group of racers.

4x4 SC is a very popular and competitive class. Slash, Ofna, and Jammin are all represented.

adamscreekrc.com is the site. Races start at 3 on Saturdays, practice is open by 9 or 10.

Adams Creek is putting in a new indoor offroad track that will be ready soon. We'll be running inside all winter.
Old 10-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo
We suggest our 550 size motors for these heavier 4x4 vehicles; our 540 size motors can work fine, but the larger, 550 motor (twice the stator and rotor length) allows much cooler running = better performance. Our 550s have beefier 5mm shafts, which hold up better in these SCTs. We sell both size motors, so this recommendation is based on our experience.
that is a 550
Old 10-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff hughes
Do you ever race at Adams Creek in Broken Arrow? Great track and great group of racers.

4x4 SC is a very popular and competitive class. Slash, Ofna, and Jammin are all represented.

adamscreekrc.com is the site. Races start at 3 on Saturdays, practice is open by 9 or 10.

Adams Creek is putting in a new indoor offroad track that will be ready soon. We'll be running inside all winter.
I've been to their site, but never to the track.. I would like to get some guys from Miami/Joplin area, and come down for a few races.. But, I'll have to get something to race first.. LOL

How is the Castle stuff on 4x4SC? Castle seems to be a bit more popular around here, and since I already have the 1/8 system, would help on programing...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Apprentice

I've been to their site, but never to the track.. I would like to get some guys from Miami/Joplin area, and come down for a few races.. But, I'll have to get something to race first.. LOL

How is the Castle stuff on 4x4SC? Castle seems to be a bit more popular around here, and since I already have the 1/8 system, would help on programing...
Not sure, I just run SC Open right now. PM fastdam on the new site. he runs at least one castle speedo, maybe more of their stuff. At any rate, he's a wealth of knowlege...

Late model and sprint car guys from up there come down sometimes...

The website I gave you is new. The old carpet building is now the indoor offroad. The guy who had the old site was a carpet guy and has shut down.

Hope to see you soon...
Old 10-14-2010, 10:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris K
Howdy Scott!

I run a Slash 4 x 4 and have been very happy with an Xcellerin sensored speed control and a 8.5 motor.

This set up complies with the current PROVISIONAL ROAR rules which are being adopted more and more at tracks around the country. In fact, I think that it's this rule set which is being run at Springfield, MO but I'm not 100% sure.

Certainly there is a huge debate on this but from my experience (at the Nats in Joliet, IL - large track) this combo works just fine - truck was scary fast and yet it didn't get even moderately hot - like 105 - 110 degrees. This was gearing 54/13 so I'm sure that there was at least a tooth to go but really couldn't use the extra speed.... It's a 1/10th scale truck using 1/10th scale electronics and does a nice job.

IF you go with either the Jammin or the Hong Nor you are purchasing a 1/8th scale vehicle which has be adapted to 1/10th scale. AND, they work very well BUT there is a weight penalty involved with the aluminum chassis and larger components - and this translates to heat and pack usage. AND, the weight of these trucks is why many prefer the 550 motors for club racing where that is permitted. Who knows where the future is going to be on these vehicles - Losi has a proto that is derived from 10T parts - which is on the heavier side of things and to the best of my knowledge no one has SEEN anything from Associated to this point.

So, you might check with the guys over at Enid and see what they're running (since they're relatively close to you) and also verify what is being run at Springfield.

Good luck with this - they are a LOT of fun to drive and I'll be happy to let you wheel mine if you're planning on making the SC race at Jeff City on the 30th....
This post is full of FAIL

The ofna and jammin are based on 1/12th scale vehicles, not 1/8th scale. Besides looks and 3 diffs, nothing is really similar.

The provisional rules will certainly be changed to include 550 sized motors for 2011 according to people I have heard from working for company(s) about to release 4x4 sct's. I also have it on good authority at least one of the 4x4 sct's about to be released will COME with a 550 can I have yet to see ANY tracks implementing the current 540 can provisional rule. All the major california series and tracks allow the use of 550 cans, and roar will be forced to bend unless they want to have the rest of their provisions discarded as well. The CRCRC Midwest national race here will also allow 550 motors as well as all the rest of the major midwestern races and series to my knowledge.

I tried running a 6.5, 8.5, and 10.5 motor in the slash 4x4. They all sucked terribly compared to the Novak Hv 550...in all regards, regardless of timing or gearing. You must have a magic 8.5 made from pure unobtanium to run that cool, lmao. Suggesting that someone go through the route of trying to get a 540 can to work in these trucks is misguided at best. It's an exercise in futility.

Last edited by Ridley; 10-14-2010 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridley
This post is full of FAIL
Actually I know Chris K, and he is a journalist for RC Car Driver, so I would say he is in the know.. Please don't make broad reaching negative comments unless you have something to back them up with..

But otherwise thanks for the uninformative post..
Old 10-14-2010, 11:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jeff hughes
Not sure, I just run SC Open right now. PM fastdam on the new site. he runs at least one castle speedo, maybe more of their stuff. At any rate, he's a wealth of knowlege...

Late model and sprint car guys from up there come down sometimes...

The website I gave you is new. The old carpet building is now the indoor offroad. The guy who had the old site was a carpet guy and has shut down.

Hope to see you soon...
Thanks again Jeff, I'll check out the site.. What Motor ESC are you running?? Honestly for me I don't care what class I end up in, I just wanna have fun, and get some racing going on.. Trying to secure a deal on the Jammin SCRT10 now.. But, will go Hyper route if I can't get it.. Same guy has both, and we more or less know one another.. Cool Guy, with not enough time.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Actually I know Chris K, and he is a journalist for RC Car Driver, so I would say he is in the know.. Please don't make broad reaching negative comments unless you have something to back them up with..

But otherwise thanks for the uninformative post..
Ok, let me highlight the fail for you.......

I will edit my original post to avoid forum clutter
Old 10-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Ridley
Ok, let me highlight the fail for you.......

I will edit my original post to avoid forum clutter
Thanks..

I think I am going to wait for the Castle Sidewinder SCT combo to come out.. For the Price it is hard to pass up..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.