R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 07:07 AM   #1
Tech Master

Default Staring up in off-road, what to buy??

Hi guys, after running on-road for many years, I have decided to giving off-road a go. I would like to ask your opinions on which chassis's to get! I will be running both 2, and 4WD so is it a good idea to go for one make for both classes, or does it not really matter? Also, what brushless motors are used in both classes nowadays? Thanks for any help, much appreciated! All the best, Chris.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:14 AM   #2
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 195 (100%+)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman2 View Post
Hi guys, after running on-road for many years, I have decided to giving off-road a go. I would like to ask your opinions on which chassis's to get! I will be running both 2, and 4WD so is it a good idea to go for one make for both classes, or does it not really matter? Also, what brushless motors are used in both classes nowadays? Thanks for any help, much appreciated! All the best, Chris.
A 2 WD BUGGY WILL DEVELOP YOUR THROTLE SKILL 13.5 SS IS A GREAT CLASS THAT ALL TRACKS HAVE IN 4WD THAT CLASS IS AWSOME... IT DEPENDS HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO SPEND..... I DRIVE LOSI.... SOMEONE WILL CHIME IN AND GIVE YOU MORE INFO!

☆TLR 22B 3.0 MM ☆ 22T 2.0 MM ☆22B 2.0 MM ☆22-4 ☆ SCTE 2.0☆ ☆
Old 10-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Go visit your track and find out what classes are being consistently run. With SC trucks many popular classes (stadium truck, sometimes 4wd) aren't bringing anyone in. 2wd buggy is usually safe but some tracks only have modified, others only stock or 13.5. Chances are, SC trucks are popular and if you want to get into that easily wait for the new Losi XXXT SC. You can buy a bind and drive truck (you already have a radio, right?) that will take the same batteries you'd use in on road TC.

If your track has a good 2wd turnout, you'll probably enjoy that more as most 2wd guys are decent drivers, SCT will be fairly rough as many new drivers are starting there.

In mind and body, we're all heading towards old age. It is slower to go by bike.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to captaindemo17

Well, My opinion would be start out cheap. Dirt offroad is a totally different ball game than on road. Then like the others said, find out whats most popular at the track as there will be more support and i am sure more parts availability. Unlike onroad where the chassis set up is one of the most important keys, Offroad i believe is tire choice.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:44 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindemo17 View Post
Well, My opinion would be start out cheap. Dirt offroad is a totally different ball game than on road. Then like the others said, find out whats most popular at the track as there will be more support and i am sure more parts availability. Unlike onroad where the chassis set up is one of the most important keys, Offroad i believe is tire choice.
+1

The Captn is pretty much on target. I race both on and off road, this year one of the top on-road racers wanted to try dirt. He got a AE SC and at first was totally frustrated and true to an on road racer was chasing the perfect set up, there isn't one. Once he figured that out he concentrated on driving and since then has been in the top portion of the A main and finished well in the B Main at the ROAR nationals.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

i used to have a Rustler and that was a pretty fun truck, but i had a few issues with it, with the diff and all. but i just bought a used Duramax Evader EXT, and i absolutely love it. and the best part is it only cost like 120 brand new. i have beaten the crap out of it and it takes it all and i havent broken a thing... its a sweet truck
Old 10-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Go with something you can control, dirt is way different than carpet. 17 or 13 might seem slow to you on carpet but the tires spin a lot more and you cant punch it and go like you can on carpet. Losi 4wd isnt up to par with others, but just about all other names are good. If you get the same brand parts will work on both, if not you will need more spares.

For all your graphic design needs.
CobraGraphics.net
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #8
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You cant go wrong with Team Associated. Most of there 1/10 have parts in common with each other.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:55 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Get brushless everything and lipo everything 2s is legal.

CobraGraphics.net
Old 10-11-2010, 08:08 PM   #10
Tech Master

Thanks for the replies guys, i think it will be best to wait until I get back to the UK and see what's what with the locals. I do have a SC10 that I have ran a fair amount at the local dirt track. Nothing serious, so it's good fun and certainly opened my eyes to how much fun racing off-road could be!
Old 10-12-2010, 12:26 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Yeah its the same as anything. Fun if you just have fun, or it can be totally serious. I think you need a goood mix to keep in the hobby. Local racers will help with what to get, just take in all the advice and dont just get what the first guy says.

CobraGraphics.net
Closed Thread