R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   B44.1 Thread (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/441523-b44-1-thread.html)

UN4RACING 03-09-2012 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by crashnburn (Post 10444952)
I was running a LRP Vector X-12 6.5 and it has plenty of top end geared at 18/81. Always wanted to run on the hot side though. (145-156) Just a little punchy on the lower end, but controllable .
Just pulled it out to try an 8.5, so you might see my 6.5 up for sale.

I had the same results with the X12's. Trust me the Reedy's are just a the opposite.
Same gearing BTW.

ALIEN3T 03-09-2012 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by crashnburn (Post 10444952)
I was running a LRP Vector X-12 6.5 and it has plenty of top end geared at 18/81. Always wanted to run on the hot side though. (145-156) Just a little punchy on the lower end, but controllable .
Just pulled it out to try an 8.5, so you might see my 6.5 up for sale.

IIRC the LRP are good for around 160-170.

fredd32 03-09-2012 02:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished the build!...now time for motor and esc!

UN4RACING 03-09-2012 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by fredd32 (Post 10445375)
Just finished the build!...now time for motor and esc!

Looks like the fastest kit on the planet to me....

Buckaroo 03-09-2012 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by ALIEN3T (Post 10445284)
IIRC the LRP are good for around 160-170.

Actually, the instructions show that they're good to 210F. Most X12s come into their own between 170-190 the same way that most other motors are between 150-165. I've seen many motors let the magic smoke out above 160, but every X12 that I've seen get above 200 still went on a-rollin'.

Gear it right, and the X12s have the massive torque to swing a bigger pinion than most other motors.

The new Reedys do run nice and cool, overall, but they don't give any indication that they're over geared until they just melt down.

UN4RACING 03-09-2012 05:35 PM

Yep. The Sonic is a bit sketchy on how hot it can really get. And by then its to late. Grrr!
The new ones are produced with a 12.5 rotor I think but none the less here is a new rotor coming that I plan to run. 13mm sounds like a good upgrade to beat the heat and give more grunt on the bottom if needed with out buying a new motor. We can tune more with optional rotors. The timing marks on the cans are better to on the new motors and be sure to tighten the timing set set screws on the old motors. I have seen them slip during runs.
Here's the new rotor coming.
http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l..._Option_Parts/

Bike racer 03-09-2012 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mini8 Menace (Post 10444711)
I'm looking into motors to buy and i am trying to find a correct turn to start out with i will be running a sxxx2 TC LRP esc trying to find a good brand looking at reedy trinity any inputs would be great on brand a turn

I have run a lot of different motors in my time. My favorite at this time are Thunder Power. They look a lot like the Reedy motors, but the powerband seems a bit different.

My 9 year old son ran an 8.5 in his B44 for 6 months and I never even loosened a motor screw in that time. He used to go out and run a full Thunder Power 5200 pack down to cutoff. The motor came off at about 150* after all of that track time.

In January I pulled 8.5 out and put a Thunder Power 6.5 in it's place.Nathan loves the extra power and he doesn't have any problem controlling it, The 8.5 went into his 22 buggy and it's wicked fast in that car.

For some reason any timing changes you make are very noticable with this motor.

I'm trying to slowly change out all of our motors for the Thunder Power motors.

NitroLuver 03-10-2012 11:43 AM

I've been running a mixture of motors(but in my 4 wheel I have the sonic 6.5 at first I had the 8.5 but I felt like I needed more power). I have some other issues to resolve first but the 6.5 just seems to add a bit more punch, Haven't figured out the top end yet.

Potoczak 03-10-2012 12:32 PM

Any info on when the new big bore shocks will be out??

Grouchman 03-10-2012 04:09 PM

Here is my B44.1..... Drives great, but needs a better driver

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...3/b8b64a80.jpg

jamr1130 03-10-2012 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Grouchman (Post 10449214)
Here is my B44.1..... Drives great, but needs a better driver

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e2...3/b8b64a80.jpg

That buggy is sweet!

KING_PALM 03-10-2012 04:59 PM

Running the cav setup at wcrc and I have not a lot stearing. I'm wondering why I can't get it to stop pushing so bad.

Ride height? Oh running a 20/81 on a sonic 8.5

Grouchman 03-10-2012 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by KING_PALM (Post 10449346)
Running the cav setup at wcrc and I have not a lot stearing. I'm wondering why I can't get it to stop pushing so bad.

I race at WCRC and also run the same set up. I'm running 19/81 and Tekin 6.5. I had the same issue for a bit, took drag brake off and had realign the front end.

Chase1472 03-10-2012 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by KING_PALM (Post 10449346)

try different front tires and foams. I run at WC and CAV setup is money. I been playing around with suburbs with stock foam and it been great when the track isn't dry.

KING_PALM 03-10-2012 06:45 PM

i am running burbs up front on closed cells all the way around.
im gonna run it again tonight to see if its just me. ill change tires just to make sure

Ostach24 03-10-2012 06:52 PM

Got a 44.1 with alum front hub carriers and front brace, Kyosho big bores and 3 saddle packs for sale pm me email for pics. Have spares and extra diffs and custom bodies. Only run on carpet so it is super clean.

klopsided6r 03-10-2012 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ostach24 (Post 10449682)
Got a 44.1 with alum front hub carriers and front brace, Kyosho big bores and 3 saddle packs for sale pm me email for pics. Have spares and extra diffs and custom bodies. Only run on carpet so it is super clean.

how did you get the big bores to fit? could you post a pic of the front shock tower area?

Mini8 Menace 03-10-2012 07:23 PM

where you pre order at

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 10444837)
I have ran the 5.5 6.5 8.5 and 10.5 all season. Reedy Sonic all the way. Ya have to try them. You can always sell it if you don't like it. I'm sure it will be true love, well it was for me.

I have an LRP X20 preordered. I will get back to you guys asap!

i havent talked to my LHS which could probably get it but where did you per-order it i can't find any in the USA

UN4RACING 03-10-2012 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mini8 Menace (Post 10449787)
i havent talked to my LHS which could probably get it but where did you per-order it i can't find any in the USA

The track I race at back ordered it for me. Team Associated site has them on back order even though it was supposed to be available on the 7th. But they want 149.00 for one. Its tempting just to try one.
http://www.teamassociated.com/news/l...ushless_Motors

Mini8 Menace 03-11-2012 03:41 PM

Hey man my LHS can get the LRP for $109

Originally Posted by Mini8 Menace (Post 10449787)

Hey man I just talked to my LHS and I can preorder them and they will have the X 20 in a week and the price is $109 tower hobbies has them for the same price and they also said about a week too

UN4RACING 03-11-2012 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mini8 Menace (Post 10452361)
Hey man I just talked to my LHS and I can preorder them and they will have the X 20 in a week and the price is $109 tower hobbies has them for the same price and they also said about a week too

Right on. Looking forward to try it out.

petevette 03-11-2012 07:06 PM

Hey fellas, just started racing a B44 to sharpen my nitro skills. First thing I learn is that electrics are not as tough as the nitro cars. You kind of have to drive it like it is made of glass. Anyways, I can see a crack forming on my front tower. I was thinking of replacing it with the extreme racing 3 mm carbon fiber or an aluminum one. Which of the two do you think would be more durable?

If the aluminum is the better option, then what company makes a good quality part?

Thanks in advance.

fastchvy 03-11-2012 07:51 PM

HELP NEEDED!!!! I picked up a b44 with a little bit of b44.1 parts on it, I'm running a lrp tc spec with a lrp 6.5 motor...im running the bully dog body and it has the 2 holes in the front cut out to help cool it down...I was running 18/81 and it was getting aroung 178* and i went down a tooth to a 17 and its still running 175* after about an 8 minute run..It has a reedy 5200mah battery in it, its not the tube style its the hard wire style....any advice? I'm about to ditch the lrp speedo anytime for a tekin rs!!!

UN4RACING 03-12-2012 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by petevette (Post 10453351)
Hey fellas, just started racing a B44 to sharpen my nitro skills. First thing I learn is that electrics are not as tough as the nitro cars. You kind of have to drive it like it is made of glass. Anyways, I can see a crack forming on my front tower. I was thinking of replacing it with the extreme racing 3 mm carbon fiber or an aluminum one. Which of the two do you think would be more durable?

If the aluminum is the better option, then what company makes a good quality part?

Thanks in advance.

Get the 44.1 shock tower. Its thicker. And trust me you can drive the kit harder than you think if you use the tires to land on. Or glue 2 44 shock towers together. I had a rear shock tower take a hit from a Sc truck. I put CA on it and ran for ever. sold it with the crack and he is still racing it.
Stock shock caps front shock shafts and A/arms. You will be covered.

UN4RACING 03-12-2012 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by fastchvy (Post 10453607)
HELP NEEDED!!!! I picked up a b44 with a little bit of b44.1 parts on it, I'm running a lrp tc spec with a lrp 6.5 motor...im running the bully dog body and it has the 2 holes in the front cut out to help cool it down...I was running 18/81 and it was getting aroung 178* and i went down a tooth to a 17 and its still running 175* after about an 8 minute run..It has a reedy 5200mah battery in it, its not the tube style its the hard wire style....any advice? I'm about to ditch the lrp speedo anytime for a tekin rs!!!

The LRP motor runs hot. Matter of fact it wont run cool. Whats the speedo temping? Check that 1st. I run the Sonic 6.5 and it comes off with the same gearing at 140.

The biggest reason most run hot is in the slipper......
Redo the slipper. Most of the time its slipping to much. Pull it and take some 600 grit and scuff it up. Scuff it in a figure eight motion. I mark mine after the first one with a marker so I don't use the same side twice.
Now take the the slipper disk and use the same procedure. Wet sanding is how I do mine using motor cleaner.
Now after you are sure it has no glaze clean it and don't get any finger oil on any of it or the pad.

Setting the slipper.....
Tighten it till you know it WONT SLIP!. Loosen it as you need more slip. It will last longer.
The failure of a slipper is usually due to running it to loose to long before getting set right.

Slipper tuning is pretty serious to making a motor and kit run awesome. I know the motor loves a good slipper.

BTW the fastest of the fast at our track don't run much if any in the 44's.

RickSlick 03-12-2012 01:36 PM

Thinking of B44.1

I own 2 B4.1 buggies and a Slash 4x4.
Thinking about the B44.1 kit.
I built one of my B4.1 from the kit and found it easy and fun.
Couple of questions.
1. How is the reliability of the B44.1?
2. How easy is the build, any problems?
I tried an SC10 4x4 kit and found the servo mount to be very poor in design and also the Diff's are very hard to get at. Sold it.

Any other advise on the B44.1?

Thanks...Rick

UN4RACING 03-12-2012 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by RickSlick (Post 10456720)
I own 2 B4.1 buggies and a Slash 4x4.
Thinking about the B44.1 kit.
I built one of my B4.1 from the kit and found it easy and fun.
Couple of questions.
1. How is the reliability of the B44.1?
2. How easy is the build, any problems?
I tried an SC10 4x4 kit and found the servo mount to be very poor in design and also the Diff's are very hard to get at. Sold it.

Any other advise on the B44.1?

Thanks...Rick

I give the 44.1 a 10 on fit and finish. I have not had any trouble to speak of on my 44.1. You will get a lot different feed back that shows most issues are of a personal problem that varies from each of us. I set my servo saver tight my slipper tight and I shim the gear side of the diff with all 6 shims and 5 spots of grease on the gear. Really that's all I would recommend on a new or rebuild. Your gonna break an A-Arm shock shaft and maybe a cap. So have shock eyelets shafts and arms and caps. The kit will out perform any other in its class plain and simple. Its the best of the best in its class IMO. Run it box stock and tweak it from there. After you hit the track you may want to try some hop ups but out of the box it has every thing you need to run with the front of the pack. I have enjoyed mine so far.

petevette 03-12-2012 05:39 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help.

TJMac 03-12-2012 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 10457317)
I give the 44.1 a 10 on fit and finish. I have not had any trouble to speak of on my 44.1. You will get a lot different feed back that shows most issues are of a personal problem that varies from each of us. I set my servo saver tight my slipper tight and I shim the gear side of the diff with all 6 shims and 5 spots of grease on the gear. Really that's all I would recommend on a new or rebuild. Your gonna break an A-Arm shock shaft and maybe a cap. So have shock eyelets shafts and arms and caps. The kit will out perform any other in its class plain and simple. Its the best of the best in its class IMO. Run it box stock and tweak it from there. After you hit the track you may want to try some hop ups but out of the box it has every thing you need to run with the front of the pack. I have enjoyed mine so far.

I'd agree with this assessment. My issues with the car are actually issues with my driving :D. I've broken front arms and front Shock caps. They're cheap and easy to replace parts so it's no biggie. I worried about the gears after I finished my build but after what I've put the car through, with zero gear box issues, I no longer worry. Shim like UN4RACING suggests and you'll be running for a very long time before the gears need replacing.

UN4RACING 03-12-2012 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by petevette (Post 10457791)
Thanks, I appreciate the help.

Your welcome.

Originally Posted by TJMac (Post 10458223)
I'd agree with this assessment. My issues with the car are actually issues with my driving :D. I've broken front arms and front Shock caps. They're cheap and easy to replace parts so it's no biggie. I worried about the gears after I finished my build but after what I've put the car through, with zero gear box issues, I no longer worry. Shim like UN4RACING suggests and you'll be running for a very long time before the gears need replacing.

Yep you got it. Every time I have had any trouble it is of my own doing. The 44 has never been at fault. Minor things can be done to prevent what appears to be big problems with the kit. And all with out buying a bunch of crap to make it more durable or faster.

-WHEELMAN- 03-12-2012 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by UN4RACING (Post 10457317)

Love mine can't say it any better than you did!!

RickSlick 03-13-2012 05:13 AM

Thanks all for your comments on the car.

Rick

UN4RACING 03-13-2012 06:38 AM

I have to say. Just from racing at our track I see people buy 4x4 kits and then they have to buy this and that to make it stronger or perform better and so on. Like for example the Kyosho. Everyone buys the kit at 500 or what ever it is then at the same time they buy a plate to keep it from breaking on the front chassis. Or they get the Durango and spend endless hours chasing a set up to catch a 44. There threads are a constant try this try that buy this buy that. And they all have little parts support. Any kit can run up front but not like the 44.

The 44.... Buy it build it race it. Hell our thread is hardly on the front page. Until every one started trying BB springs and BB shock bodies we had nothing to even think of trying to make it better. The reason? Nothing is required to dial it in. The box stock set up works at almost any track. Just add weight or take it away. No other kit is this adapted to racing. Tires are about all we really have to chase on set ups. No other kit is that unique. I can change an A-Arm with out pulling the front tire off. I have to hand it to the test and tune team before they release there kits at AE.
I know we all want gear diffs but then we would go back to the gear because we would realize its easier to adjust than pulling them and trying different oils and grease. And for my diffs I get months out of them anyway. Its the best platform in the class plain and simple.

Its funny when someone says I'm starting a 44 build what do I need to a make the kit good on a build. We say nothing.
Just stock shock eyelets front shafts and shock caps and a-arms and your set to travel to any track. 20 bucks worth of spare parts will last a long time.
If you really want to race 4x4 and your serious about racing you have to try the 44 its just that good of a kit.
I know I'm preaching to the quire. But someone besides a 44 racer may just read this thread.

UN4RACING 03-13-2012 06:39 AM

oops echo post.

RCHR 03-13-2012 08:32 AM

I cut the threads off a 1.02 shock shaft, and die cut larger 5-40 threads on the end for a much stronger front shock shaft setup.

-WHEELMAN- 03-13-2012 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by RCHR (Post 10460550)
I cut the threads off a 1.02 shock shaft, and die cut larger 5-40 threads on the end for a much stronger front shock shaft setup.

Feel like making some money and making more?

idrummerboy13 03-13-2012 06:01 PM

i love my b44.1, finally been able to feel this thing so much:nod:

i broke one a arm when i jumped wrong and hit the wall:p my fault

i do wish a.e gave more shims bc I found the mesh was tight just the pinion gear was moving, shimmed that closer to ring gear and I have used it 5 times or raceways without a strip.:tire:

Also can make use of my baldies for my 2wd=] and if a quick scuff in is needed, this is what i use:tire:

stock springs felt great but i like yellow and greens, blue front springs when i need less steer, switched down to 32.5 oil front, 27.5 rear. It reacts better and I can push it harder.:tire:

fastchvy 03-13-2012 08:53 PM

I'm looking for a b44.1 chassis and a complete set of v2 shocks if anybody has anything laying around....im going to purchase new here in a few days but i wanted to see if any members had anything laying around first!!

Yeti AS3 03-13-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by fastchvy (Post 10463881)
I'm looking for a b44.1 chassis and a complete set of v2 shocks if anybody has anything laying around....im going to purchase new here in a few days but i wanted to see if any members had anything laying around first!!

Check the for sale forum, somebody had a new, un-assembled set.

fastchvy 03-13-2012 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Yeti AS3 (Post 10464075)
Check the for sale forum, somebody had a new, un-assembled set.

I tried, looked at over 1000 threads starting with the search button...i give up...still looking if anybody has anything