Old 10-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default feedback on Losi Kyosho and Mugen

I have narrowed down to 3 buggies
First is the Kyosho MP9e
next is the Losi 8ight e 2.0
then the Mugen if it ever hits the market

Now can I get some positive and negative feedback on the 3 listed. I am aware trhe price of the Kyosho is out the roof so in consideration lets leave out the cost and go for build handling and ease of setting up.

I've still not drecided quiet yet on which brushless system it's between Tekin and castle or what size motor to go in either chassis
Old 10-05-2010, 11:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I think the best ive driven is the mugen(with a techno kit)
The brakes and slipper make it just like a nitro.

Also, i have driven a very nice hotbodies (techno kit) it was very solid.
Old 10-05-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

why would you want an Electric Buggy to drive like a Nitro?

Get the Losi, or get what is most parts available to you, there all good.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

If you get the Kyosho be prepared for the parts cost. Two guys at my local track both run the MP9E and in the past two weeks broke 3 front shock towers. At $68.99 each that gets expensive REALLY fast! Not to mention very few shops stock parts for the Kyosho.

Honestly I think you should add the RC8 to the list. Either the RC8B w/ Tekno conversion or the new RC8BE. They are built like a tank (i have yet to break a single part), and best yet the parts are inexpensive and stocked almost everywhere.

I will vote for any kit that has local racer AND hobby shop support. That is the biggest key in my book.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

What were they doing to bust the shock towers on the mp9? I have crashed mine sometimes pretty bad and have only broken an a arm rear-ending a car stopped at the end of the straight at full speed. I also stripped a front c-hub but that was my fault.

I like both the mugen and the kyosho. The mp9 is easiest to work on though. The losi I haven't driven but my friend breaks his every weekend.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Car comes off a big jump wrong, cart wheels, and snaps the front shock tower when it hits the ground.

Look at the design of the MP9 front shock tower compared to say a RC8. It's not as strong.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Bad luck I guess, I have crashed that same way many times, once I actually cartwheeled so far my car ended up off in the parking lot next to the track. I really don't crash bad very often, only once or twice a weekend usually.

If you are a good driver durability really shouldn't be an issue with any of those. Anthony is right though, some of the parts on the mp9 are priced pretty outrageous. If you can afford it though it is worth it. Also I agree, go with what has local support so you can get parts and tips on setup.

We have lots of Kyosho parts here in Korea and my team-mate has 2 big boxes of spare MP9 parts he doesn't mind me using as long as I replace them.

I really don't know much about the losi, but you will probably be fine with any of those options. If money is tight though cross the MP9 off that list.

Last edited by KniteWulfe; 10-06-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have personally run the kyosho (im the one driving the very first one in the video on youtube as i ran for kyosho) and I have run the 8ighte as I now work for Losi. That aside, they are both great cars. In regards to the shock tower issue mentioned on the K car, I can say i went through 4 front shock towers due to them bending easily. I do run on a high bite clay track mostly so they can dig in pretty hard and that could be the cause but even at my team pricing, it got expensive. That aside, the car works great. As for the Losi, that car works great too and I have yet to break the thing...wait, I take that back. Somehow I did manage to break a rear hinge pin brace, lol. But it handles extremely well and is very durable.

If you have an opprotunity, go find the ones you like from people you know are good drivers and try both. Also, think about parts support.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

U may want to consider these cars with the new v4 Tekno kit. It will be out hopefully sometime in Nov. Very nice layout.
Old 10-06-2010, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for your input guys. I may just scratch the kyosho off list mainly due to the pricey parts. Now down to Mugeen or Losi. I'm not much into the conversion stuff. It may work and may be well layed out. I just rather start off with the original kit and build from there. If that makes any sense
Old 10-06-2010, 08:20 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

The Mugen with an RC Monster conversion gets positive reviews. The factory car will be very similar. A good used Mugen can be found cheap and the conversion is $99, any motor will work in the provided mount (Tekno has different size mounts that limit you to a given motor).

+1 on the K-car. Good quality but too pricey and no better than the Mugen.
Old 10-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I run an RC8e mostly because I have collected a lot of extra parts over the last 3+ years. But if I was going to start from scratch, I would get the Mugen with a Monster conversion kit.

I think the Mugen is the best all round car out right now for its combination of performance, durability and parts support.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Ed237
I run an RC8e mostly because I have collected a lot of extra parts over the last 3+ years. But if I was going to start from scratch, I would get the Mugen with a Monster conversion kit.

I think the Mugen is the best all round car out right now for its combination of performance, durability and parts support.
Thanks Ed,

I know all of these have there own quirks and driving styles and I'm sure in the right hands all mentioned and those not mentioned can finish and win races.

I believe I'm going to go with Mugen when it is released. I can begin getting my speed control and motor and batteries for the new kit. Now I'm torn on what KV motor to get.
Also any news on when Mugen is releasing there new E Buggy?

James
Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Smile

Get the best get LOSI... parts are evertwhere and I love mine, I run Tekin caus I love there product.... Losi and Tekin... Just the best.!
Old 10-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 22dasher
Thanks for your input guys. I may just scratch the kyosho off list mainly due to the pricey parts. Now down to Mugeen or Losi. I'm not much into the conversion stuff. It may work and may be well layed out. I just rather start off with the original kit and build from there. If that makes any sense
The factory kits suck donkey balls compared to the aftermarket conversion kits. Not a single OEM manufacturer makes a high quality out of the box kit for electric 1/8s.

If you are serious about racing, just get a nitro roller of the brand of your choice and figure out which aftermarket kit suits your style.

Mugen: The rc-monster kit is great with the BCE chassis. very simple and effective. The Tekno v4 kit looks really good and maybe the hot ticket, particularly if you prefer the nitro mechanical brakes/clutch.

Losi: Get an rcproductdesigns.com or rc-monster kit with a elite rc motor mount. The Tekno v4 kit for the losi looks good as well.

It really is about figuring out which conversion kit is best for the particular car you want. Waiting on the OEM stuff is a lose lose right now. None of the stuff is high quality.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.