Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
feedback on Losi Kyosho and Mugen >

feedback on Losi Kyosho and Mugen

feedback on Losi Kyosho and Mugen

Old 10-06-2010, 11:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The factory kits suck donkey balls compared to the aftermarket conversion kits. Not a single OEM manufacturer makes a high quality out of the box kit for electric 1/8s.

If you are serious about racing, just get a nitro roller of the brand of your choice and figure out which aftermarket kit suits your style.
Exactly.

Why are you turned off by a electric conversion, it is the best route.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

i agree too... if you want the mbx6, go with the tekno with the new v4... the mbx6 w/ tekno v4 will be a lot better then the mbx6e..
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

Originally Posted by 22dasher
Thanks for your input guys. I may just scratch the kyosho off list mainly due to the pricey parts. Now down to Mugeen or Losi. I'm not much into the conversion stuff. It may work and may be well layed out. I just rather start off with the original kit and build from there. If that makes any sense
I know the feeling of just wanting to pull a car out of the box and race it with no hop-up parts. I quickly found out, especially in electric 1/8, it won't happen.

I use to think that way, but aftermarket support is usually better. IMO get a Tekno V4 Mugen. You get a chassis that was built for electric only, high quality parts, and a wealth knowledge.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Anthony.L
Exactly.

Why are you turned off by a electric conversion, it is the best route.
I guess for me its more about starting off with all new equipment and not knowing how used up someone else's may be or if it was actually assembled correctly
Old 10-06-2010, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I guess for me its more about starting off with all new equipment and not knowing how used up someone else's may be or if it was actually assembled correctly
All of the conversion kits these days are bolt on directly with no modifications required. If you can read and have functional use of your hands, you can install them.

The aftermarket manufacturers put way more thought and research into electric 1/8 than the OEM manufacturers. The materials are better and the cars perform better. OEM kits are basically just cheap copies of what rcproductdesigns, rc-monster, tekno have been doing for years now. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad the OEMs are taking the class serious now, but they did their conversions on the cheap imho just to say they have an electric 1/8 versus really trying to make high quality stuff for serious racers.

The trick with getting setup with e-1/8 is to ask a lot of questions and LISTEN. Research, research and research. A lot of the folks on rc-tech have been doing it awhile and blown thousands of dollars trying different stuff.
Old 10-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
The Mugen with an RC Monster conversion gets positive reviews. The factory car will be very similar. A good used Mugen can be found cheap and the conversion is $99, any motor will work in the provided mount (Tekno has different size mounts that limit you to a given motor).

+1 on the K-car. Good quality but too pricey and no better than the Mugen.
I agree, the nitro Mugen converted with an RCM conversion is absolutely awesome. If you pickup a used mugen and the RCM kit, you will like it. As always ,when buying new make sure you aren't buying someone's 2 year old used up junk.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Yeah make sure to get the new spec for mugen. Im my opinion its made a lot netter than losi. I have not seen or driven the kyosho, but im sure it is top quality like their other models.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:15 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Ok you guys have convinced me to go with a conversion over the oem kit now next two questions are which conversion shall I get for the latest mugen and why is t got choice? Next is I am going to go with rx8 sc and have an opportunity to pick a brand new one with a 1900 kv motor for under 300.00 will a 1900 be enough?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Ok you guys have convinced me to go with a conversion over the oem kit now next two questions are which conversion shall I get for the latest mugen and why is t got choice? Next is I am going to go with rx8 sc and have an opportunity to pick a brand new one with a 1900 kv motor for under 300.00 will a 1900 be enough?
How long are the mains at your local tracks? That will determine which motor/voltage combo will work best. Is your track big or small?
Old 10-06-2010, 03:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Of course I am going to say tekno... Check out their newest layout...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/8031470-post4159.html

All their layout are the same as you see here, except the losi... So for mugen, you are good....

The reason why i say tekno is for a number of reasons...
1) the new v4 layout is phenomenal!
2) option of running mechanical brake or not..
3) able to run traction drive (additional cost). to me, it's better than direct drive or clutch system
4) best battery tray on the market IMO
5) excellent support from the tekno guys. U post a question on their thread, they will answer... or if u call them, they take the time to answer you questions

In regards of which motor, kinda hard for me to say... many folks are going with the 4s approach. if u decide to go that way, go with the tekin 2050 motor. 1900kv maybe ok as well. Note, i run 1900kv of 5s... it's wicked fast, but that's how i like um!

Note on the new tekno format. You will be limited to roar based lipo sizes. so if you are buying a batter soon and decide to go this route, check the battery tray dimension.

But yes, i do believe you are doing the right thing buy going 3rd party on the conversion kit.