Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Which motor to choose for SC10? Too many choices >

Which motor to choose for SC10? Too many choices

Which motor to choose for SC10? Too many choices

Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Which motor to choose for SC10? Too many choices

Just when I think I have the decision made self doubt creeps back in and I'm back to square one. I think I need RC Cars for dummies

I want to pick the right motor for bashing around with my son and his Slash. We might get into some racing but who knows, but for now it's just the two of us in a dirt lot.

I was leaning towards a Tekin RS ESC with a Tekin motor or just spending less money and getting the Sidewinder SC when it comes out. What makes the RS and say a 17.5T Tekin motor $120 better than the Sidewinder SC/Motor combo?

Also why does one choose the number of turns they do and how do you decide to get a 5.5T, 10.5T, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM
Company Representative

We offer many brushless systems---many escs, motors and price points:

TeamNovak Brushless Systems

The difficult part in selecting equipment is deciding just how you wish to use it; once that decision is made---shopping is easy! And, fun!
Old 10-05-2010, 02:07 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

The SCT combo that Castle is releasing is specifically for cheap racing and/or bashing. The Tekin stuff is a geared towards the serious racers and uses better quality internal components for less internal resistance and thing like that.

If it were me, I'd go with a Castle SCT system or get a Castle Sidewinder ESC with their 4600kV motor for bashing around. That's what I used in my Slash and it had the perfect blend of speed and runtime (about 20 minutes with a 5000mah pack).

The rule of thumb regarding motors is that the lower the turns, the faster the motor. But that also means less run time. Something around 10.5T or 13.5T is ideal. The Castle 4600kV motor is about equivalent to a 10.5T I think.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mjgarw
Just when I think I have the decision made self doubt creeps back in and I'm back to square one. I think I need RC Cars for dummies

I want to pick the right motor for bashing around with my son and his Slash. We might get into some racing but who knows, but for now it's just the two of us in a dirt lot.

I was leaning towards a Tekin RS ESC with a Tekin motor or just spending less money and getting the Sidewinder SC when it comes out. What makes the RS and say a 17.5T Tekin motor $120 better than the Sidewinder SC/Motor combo?

Also why does one choose the number of turns they do and how do you decide to get a 5.5T, 10.5T, etc.?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
The Tekin is a high quality ESC that is fully programmable and upgradable, runs sensored and sensorless and has been a proven winner. Alot of people are switching to Tekin for racing(heck even bashing) b/c they build some of the best ESC around. I love my Tekin RS Pro. Going strong for over 2years now and still up to date. With Tekin you buy once(unless you want another Tekin).
To be fair, you cannot compare the Castle sidewinder to a Tekin. Simply outclassed. Now the MMp is a different story.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by K_B
The SCT combo that Castle is releasing is specifically for cheap racing and/or bashing. The Tekin stuff is a geared towards the serious racers and uses better quality internal components for less internal resistance and thing like that.

If it were me, I'd go with a Castle SCT system or get a Castle Sidewinder ESC with their 4600kV motor for bashing around. That's what I used in my Slash and it had the perfect blend of speed and runtime (about 20 minutes with a 5000mah pack).

The rule of thumb regarding motors is that the lower the turns, the faster the motor. But that also means less run time. Something around 10.5T or 13.5T is ideal. The Castle 4600kV motor is about equivalent to a 10.5T I think.
A 4600 kv motor is closer to a 8.5. Also remember the lower turn motors the more heat they create so be careful and gear correctly
Old 10-05-2010, 08:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

I think I'll go with the Castle Sidewinder SC ESC when it's available. This shouldn't have any heat issues and will be a way back into the hobby and let me learn to drive again. If I decide to upgrade to something better I can always throw the SW into my son's Slash and upgrade both at the same time.

Thanks