Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Tekin 2050 overheating on 4S >

Tekin 2050 overheating on 4S

Tekin 2050 overheating on 4S

Old 10-04-2010, 01:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Default Tekin 2050 overheating on 4S

I am having a problem which is in direct contradiction to what I've been advised to run.

I bought a used Tekin 2050 buggy motor (with a new rotor) and Castle MMP and test-drove them in my RC8Be buggy under Turnigy 4S 5Ah 25C LiPo power. Gearing was 19/46, which is what I was told in the RC8Be thread in this forum, would run very well, with temps in the 130s on the motor.

Was I not aware that whoever said that meant to run that motor and gearing on 3S?

Because while testing that motor/battery/gearing combo, the motor was at 180 after about five minutes of hard testing. ESC fan was on, running at about 150. Although I must say, I didn't have holes cut in the body (JConcepts Punisher) at the time.

I had the timing set to lowest (0 degrees), start power low, punch control 30%, throttle and brake graphs linear, SmartSense on.

What gives?

I think its also worth noting that I ran my reliable old Mamba Monster 2200 combo with that same battery, gearing, and the only setting different on the ESC was the punch control: I set it to 100%. Maaaaaan... I must have either a bad Tekin or something, because that 2200 is just terrific with that setup. I haven't temp'ed it after a full run, but I did run it for about four minutes of hard testing, and the motor was only at 120. ESC fan wasn't on, LiPo was cool. That thing may be heavy, and it may not be new, but it continues to be the best motor/ESC combo I've used.

Last edited by tq_danpatterson; 10-04-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 82 (99%+)

run the mmp in smart sence with a sensor cable on the tekin motor

and run 17/48 should get you around 140-150 range for temps after a 10min main.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:44 PM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That motor should be geared 20/46 on 4s. Too low of gearing will over reve the motor and get it outside it's usable powerband.

Also very little if any timing is needed so turn off the timing in the esc for now.

That motor isn't meant for 3s.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

i would bump down to a 15 or 16 if 17 doesn't work for you.temps should be much lower after 5 minutes.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Team Tekin

DO NOT go down to a 15-16 in the Rc8. That would be WAAAAY undergeared.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
DO NOT go down to a 15-16 in the Rc8. That would be WAAAAY undergeared.
sorry about that.lol.I switched to a hyper 9e and just realized what car he has my bad.Go with the 17 like he said.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kman16jr
sorry about that.lol.I switched to a hyper 9e and just realized what car he has my bad.Go with the 17 like he said.
he said 20, not 17.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
That motor should be geared 20/46 on 4s. Too low of gearing will over reve the motor and get it outside it's usable powerband.

Also very little if any timing is needed so turn off the timing in the esc for now.

That motor isn't meant for 3s.
Are you absolutely sure that only one tooth difference will result in the large temperature reduction that I need? I'm sure your RC8Be with the Tekin 2050 geared as you say runs well, but I just have my doubts, based on what I've experienced.

I ask because I have had my Castle 2200 motor geared as far down as 15T under the same conditions, and experienced running temps up to about the 160s. Granted it does seem to run cooler on the 19T, but that's with 0-degree timing (was running Normal (I think 10 degrees) timing with the lower pinions).

Speaking of timing, do you think that increasing my timing by a couple degrees would produce a similar result to gearing up that one tooth that you're suggesting? I'm hesitant to buy a larger pinion because A. they're expensive, B. the 20T is only one tooth larger than my largest one, and C. I have to order every one, or drive four hours (round-trip) to Dallas to get one.

One more thing is that at Mike's in Carrollton (huge hobby shop and multiple tracks in Dallas), I was told that the Tekin 2050 on 3S was perfect. In fact, Mikes' outdoor track was the very place where I tested my Tekin 2050 with the 19/46 gearing and got these high motor temps (180F). They like 3S up there because it makes the cars lighter, and nobody can use all the speed and power of 4S on the track. Many of the guys up there who have been doing this for years are having good luck and low temps with the Tekin 2050/MMP on 3S. In fact, when I plunked my car on the table, they praised it as having the perfect setup.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_danpatterson
I am having a problem which is in direct contradiction to what I've been advised to run.

I bought a used Tekin 2050 buggy motor (with a new rotor) and Castle MMP and test-drove them in my RC8Be buggy under Turnigy 4S 5Ah 25C LiPo power. Gearing was 19/46, which is what I was told in the RC8Be thread in this forum, would run very well, with temps in the 130s on the motor.

Was I not aware that whoever said that meant to run that motor and gearing on 3S?

Because while testing that motor/battery/gearing combo, the motor was at 180 after about five minutes of hard testing. ESC fan was on, running at about 150. Although I must say, I didn't have holes cut in the body (JConcepts Punisher) at the time.

I had the timing set to lowest (0 degrees), start power low, punch control 30%, throttle and brake graphs linear, SmartSense on.

What gives?

I think its also worth noting that I ran my reliable old Mamba Monster 2200 combo with that same battery, gearing, and the only setting different on the ESC was the punch control: I set it to 100%. Maaaaaan... I must have either a bad Tekin or something, because that 2200 is just terrific with that setup. I haven't temp'ed it after a full run, but I did run it for about four minutes of hard testing, and the motor was only at 120. ESC fan wasn't on, LiPo was cool. That thing may be heavy, and it may not be new, but it continues to be the best motor/ESC combo I've used.
1) Make sure your temp gun is calibrated properly... sounds stupid, but I have seen inaccurate temp guns.

2) Make sure nothing is binding in the drive train and mesh is set properly. Too tight of mesh can drive temps up quite a bit. Check all bearings as well.

3) Double check all connections to make sure you don't have any cold solder joints.

I have never had heat problems with the Tekin motors unless the rotor starts failing. Definitely double check the rotor on it. You say the motor was used. Do you know if the person you bought it from took care of it? Were they doing 80mph speed runs with the motor or was it gently used by a seasoned racer?

That motor is definitely not meant for 3s. 22k rpm is way too low. You ideally want to keep the rpm around 30k +/-.
Old 10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Team Tekin

Look not to be blunt but I'm using this stuff everyday and working with some of the best drivers in the world.

Mike's track is HUGE and you're way undergeared for that track, trust me.

You're not using a 2200kv motor, you're using a 2050 Tekin T8. You are undergeared with your current setup. Gear up to a 20-21 tooth pinion in your RC8b.

I understand that a 3s setup is light, however you're not using 3s.

Gear up.
Old 10-04-2010, 04:34 PM
Tech Addict

Thank you all for your input. I'm going to make some changes and see what happens.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kman16jr
Get with the program, ...more like 20. He is way undergeared at 17 and only will get alot more heat.... I have good luck with a 21 on large track's ......
Just my two cent's.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Listen to what Randy Pike say. If you didn't know, he is Tekin so he knows. If you do what he says and your stuff burns up he will take care of you. He did for a friend of mine at the Alabama Manufacturer's Shootout
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

And cut some vent holes in your body.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chill_Will
Listen to what Randy Pike say. If you didn't know, he is Tekin so he knows. If you do what he says and your stuff burns up he will take care of you. He did for a friend of mine at the Alabama Manufacturer's Shootout
That makes me feel better.

I didn't know you worked for Tekin, Randy. I just ordered a 20T and a 21T, should be here before the end of the week.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.