R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Sc10: stock or ft? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/440194-sc10-stock-ft.html)

Trialser 10-04-2010 06:56 AM

Sc10: stock or ft?

Is the factory team edition sc10 a whole lot better then the standard version? I am looking to get one, but I'm not sure if the ft is worth about 100$ more. I also don't want to build it from a kit, so I'm looking for a used one.
Thanks

T-BirdJunkie 10-04-2010 07:12 AM

FT kit gives you
Ball diff
Ti hingepins and turnbuckles
rear toe blocks with different toe-in amounts
aluminum rear hub carriers
Shocks that don't suck

Just adding these things will cost almost as much as the FT kit if you buy a standard SC10 kit.

If the FT were available when ThunderbirdJunkie bought his truck, he would've snagged it.

hyperguy 10-04-2010 04:31 PM

this so true t-birdjunkie.....luckily i had the extra parts in my pit box...lol
u cant go wrong starting with the best of best when it comes to upgrades...go with the ft

rcannon409 10-04-2010 04:57 PM

Yes, get the ft. I have both and would have bought the ft had it been available. It amounts to this. The quality of the stock esc and radio do not come close to the quality of the ft hop ups that are included.

When you try to upgrade the stock truck to ft specs, you spend more than an entire ft kit costs.

kdeselms 10-04-2010 05:03 PM

I bought the original SC10 when it first came out and struggled a lot with getting it set up and working well. I bought the FT version to replace my old one and it was a revelation...the kit setup is so strong and the improved parts are just really awesome. The new slipper, the V2 shocks, increased rear toe and more toe options...well worth the price of admission. My old truck is now spare parts. :)

1Fastpede 10-04-2010 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie (Post 8022399)
FT kit gives you
Ball diff
Shocks that don't suck

Just adding these things will cost almost as much as the FT kit if you buy a standard SC10 kit.

If the FT were available when ThunderbirdJunkie bought his truck, he would've snagged it.

PRETTY SURE THERE IS NO ALUMINUM HUBS / TITANIUM HINGE PINS. I JUST BUILT ONE MYSELF

• ’09 Championship Body with decal kit
• JConcepts Subcultures SCT rear tires with molded foam inserts (1 pr.)
• Ball differential with lightweight outdrives
• Factory Team V2 dual-cap hard-anodized shock bodies with threaded collars
• Bleed-screw shock caps
• Suspension mounts for 4°, 3.5°, 3°, and 2.5° rear toe included
• Carbon-fiber battery strap
• CVA joints with pin retainer clips
• V2 slipper assembly with high-rate spring and Factory Team Gold pads
• Factory Team blue Titanium Turnbuckles
• Factory Team blue milled motor plate
• Factory Team blue aluminum servo mounts
• Factory Team blue aluminum wheel spacers
• Factory Team blue aluminum hinge pin brace
• Factory Team blue aluminum shock bushings
• Factory Team blue aluminum shock pivot balls

BUT STILL WORTH EVERY PENNY.

chonchachencho 10-04-2010 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by T-BirdJunkie (Post 8022399)
FT kit gives you
Ball diff
Shocks that don't suck

A FTSC10 doesnt come with Aluminum hub carriers, or Ti Hinge pins..

Tsquare 10-08-2010 06:06 PM

Just a FYI - Just purchased the standard Associated SC10 Kit at Tower Hobbies for $138.00 less $20.00 coupon for a total cost of 118.00. It's not the FT SC10, but at that price it is easy to make the truck competitive.

GreenSC10 10-08-2010 07:20 PM

FT is the best way to go based on performance and cost. If your were to start out with the standard edition you will eventually want the upgrades. If you piece the FT kit from scratch you will spend a lot more money.

Be sure to go with LRP SXX V.2 and LRP X-12 8.5 for mod

RT3 10-08-2010 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by Tsquare (Post 8045929)
Just a FYI - Just purchased the standard Associated SC10 Kit at Tower Hobbies for $138.00 less $20.00 coupon for a total cost of 118.00. It's not the FT SC10, but at that price it is easy to make the truck competitive.

That's a sweet deal, especially if shipping is free. I guess it depends if you want to get the truck with all the FT goodies already, including the V2 shocks. Personally I like to add my own hopups of choice so that my truck is different, and I am not a fan of all the blue stuff on there. I purchased a barely used SC10 here on rctech for a great price (even though buying used is a risk), and then I am slowly adding hopups, such as tires, new body, and new shocks.

If you get the stock kit, one thing you'll wanna add is the rear arm mount set, which is cheap:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXZWK3&P=V

Add that to your order, along with some new tires if you plan to race, and you should be good to go. Might look into some titanium turnbuckles as well. Ebay can be a good place to get those at a good price.

hyperguy 10-08-2010 09:04 PM

the other major upgrade will b the rpm front bumper skid plate kit...it stiffens up the weak part in the chassis...cheaper than having to buy a new chassis

LIVipers 10-08-2010 10:22 PM

Get whichever one you are able to afford. A car only does so much until driving abilities start to take over.

Wolf1007 10-09-2010 07:25 AM

Just built my FT SC10 last night, I have RTR versions of the B4.1 and T4.1 that are now full FT vehicles. I echo someone's original post, you WILL spend more than a FT kit costs in upgrading a RTR version! If you know which end of a wrench does what the kit will only take you a couple of hours to build. Finished mine in three hours last night while watching hockey games and listening to itunes!

chuckj 10-10-2010 09:43 AM

Wish i would have gone with the FT from the get go...

Ae*Driver*70 10-10-2010 07:07 PM

AE Is Killer Of All......

Originally Posted by 1Fastpede (Post 8025264)
PRETTY SURE THERE IS NO ALUMINUM HUBS / TITANIUM HINGE PINS. I JUST BUILT ONE MYSELF

• ’09 Championship Body with decal kit
• JConcepts Subcultures SCT rear tires with molded foam inserts (1 pr.)
• Ball differential with lightweight outdrives
• Factory Team V2 dual-cap hard-anodized shock bodies with threaded collars
• Bleed-screw shock caps
• Suspension mounts for 4°, 3.5°, 3°, and 2.5° rear toe included
• Carbon-fiber battery strap
• CVA joints with pin retainer clips
• V2 slipper assembly with high-rate spring and Factory Team Gold pads
• Factory Team blue Titanium Turnbuckles
• Factory Team blue milled motor plate
• Factory Team blue aluminum servo mounts
• Factory Team blue aluminum wheel spacers
• Factory Team blue aluminum hinge pin brace