Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Thoughts on 1/8th direct drive? >

Thoughts on 1/8th direct drive?

Thoughts on 1/8th direct drive?

Old 10-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Thoughts on 1/8th direct drive?

Curious what the thoughts were regarding direct drive setups?

Are many guys running clutched or slipper setups in their 1/8th buggies/truggies?

Reason I ask is, I'm currently running a RCM slipper setup but wonder what I'm really gaining. My setup (converted 6t) utilizes the slipper but only for driveline protection realistically (locked down). That said, it does potentially offer significant concerns for me namely - heavy, complicated, source of potential failure, etc vs the simplistic time tested std diff....

I don't see the rotor failures I thought I would with std "unprotected" direct drive setups. On top of that, I don't see any of the OE's going the route offering any type of protection.

Thoughts? What are guys seeing?
Old 10-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've been running direct drive through my 8ight gearboxes for three years. No issues whatsoever and minimal wear (if any) on the gears.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I started off with a Tekno RC nitro clutch setup on my RC8B electric conversion. Recently I switched to a direct drive pinion setup. Here is my opinion on the two.

Clutch setup is great larger (i.e. outdoor) tracks where rolling momentum of the free-wheel from the clutch can be very helpful. Also the clutch gives you slip at low throttle which really helps with traction in low traction environments.

Direct drive setup from my experience is much better in small, tight (indoor) tracks. Where you need to slow down and maneuver tight turns. The clutch allowed me to "roll" right past most corners and way over shoot things on a small track.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Direct has alot of stress on the diff n drive train, I used to wheelie alot using 6s but now with rcm slipper diff it's alot better
Old 10-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've tried both. I like direct drive and you shed alot of weight, rotating mass and added points of failure like clutch bearings. I haven't had any issues with added wear or stress on the drive train, seems about the same to me.

Last edited by KyJoe340; 10-03-2010 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

For me the new Tekno traction drive have been perfect. Close go direct drive, yet a little slippage. Best of both worlds IMO.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

No clutch or slipper here works just fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 104 (100%+)

Clutch would mean its more tame and no instant power, if you're commin from nitro miht make an easy trasition.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 AM
Tech Elite

It all depends on the track. I was a pretty tight astro track yesterday with big US jumps. I was running TD with 0.9mm spring, but I had too much when I gave burst up the ramp to fly futher. I cleaned the clutch with brake cleaner and installed 1.1mm spring. It was better, but I felt a little bit more punch was welcome. The track was very high grip and I had no problems in the corners, but clutch slipped when I gave a burst on the throttle and that felt kinda laggy.
I haven't tried DD anymore, but I'll do that next time.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Reply

hello friends,this is cruz..........m new to this site...........
Old 10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I guess that is my question, is there enough benefits for either traktion drive or the RCM Slipper worth a more complicated potential failure source (vs the protection they offer)?

I've already got the RCM Slipperential and while I like the small piece of mind it offers, I do question reliability of the system as it's highly dependant on maintenance/prep (we've all seen slippers fail miserably). Couple to that the additional rotational mass as compared to the stocker, just got me thinking. Not that I'm worried at all about maintaining it as I'm full tear down between race guys but I'm looking for every performance advantage a setup can provide.

That brings me to the Techno setup (Traktion Drive). I feel it can/could offer some real benefits potentially, plus it's a ligher, simpler setup. The concern there would be the small clutch bearings and substantially longer adapter which I think really stresses the motor shaft and bearings. My guess is the clutch bearings will be less of an issue than a std clutch setup (lot less heat) but if the gearing eats anything, bent motor shaft.

The only real downside to direct driving the system is it's tougher on the driveline as there isn't an inherent way to "decouple" the motor from the drive system. It's simplest, lightest, easiest to maintain. Just not sure it's the best setup with regards to performance.....

* All of this said, understand that I have no issue driving a leccy converted truggy with any of these systems. All have merits. Just looking for what you guys are seeing in the real world.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:13 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by itbvolks
I guess that is my question, is there enough benefits for either traktion drive or the RCM Slipper worth a more complicated potential failure source (vs the protection they offer)?

I've already got the RCM Slipperential and while I like the small piece of mind it offers, I do question reliability of the system as it's highly dependant on maintenance/prep (we've all seen slippers fail miserably). Couple to that the additional rotational mass as compared to the stocker, just got me thinking. Not that I'm worried at all about maintaining it as I'm full tear down between race guys but I'm looking for every performance advantage a setup can provide.

That brings me to the Techno setup (Traktion Drive). I feel it can/could offer some real benefits potentially, plus it's a ligher, simpler setup. The concern there would be the small clutch bearings and substantially longer adapter which I think really stresses the motor shaft and bearings. My guess is the clutch bearings will be less of an issue than a std clutch setup (lot less heat) but if the gearing eats anything, bent motor shaft.

The only real downside to direct driving the system is it's tougher on the driveline as there isn't an inherent way to "decouple" the motor from the drive system. It's simplest, lightest, easiest to maintain. Just not sure it's the best setup with regards to performance.....

* All of this said, understand that I have no issue driving a leccy converted truggy with any of these systems. All have merits. Just looking for what you guys are seeing in the real world.
I have used nothing but direct drive since I got into 1/8th scale, on three different vehicles. No problems at all. For me, using a clutch or brakes is just another thing that can go wrong. If you gear properly, heat isn't an issue. Most guys that come from a Nitro background, migrate to the clutch/brake type systems since that is what they are used to. Setting brake bias is a helpful thing and it does bring motor heat down. As far as decoupling the motor, why would you need to? You don't get run away motors in electric like you can with a Nitro.

Last edited by blade329; 10-04-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 10-04-2010, 12:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

The way I see it I can run the Slipperential and put the extra time and money into maintaining that, or spend the time and money more often on CVDs, F/R diffs and pinions, other driveline parts etc.

So what makes more sense? You have to look at the trade-off: a regular center diff doesn't have any added complexity of a slipper system, but the internals are more likely to fail. The Slipperential has a few added slipper parts that could fail, but the internals are less likely to wear and fail. Personally I can't really say what is better, and their probably is no right or wrong answer. I have run Slipperential in both my buggy and truggy from day one, so I can't compare it to a regular center diff setup. But with the traction control aspect of the Slipperential, coupled with the (probable) reduction of drivetrain wear I am inclined to believe it's worth it.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:37 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by simplechamp
The way I see it I can run the Slipperential and put the extra time and money into maintaining that, or spend the time and money more often on CVDs, F/R diffs and pinions, other driveline parts etc....
I think this is a bit of an exaggeration. I have run my Ve8 for a year and my driveline isn't worn out. All I have to change is the rear outdrives. My pinions and diffs are fine. How much more is the Slipperential really going to save me?
I'm not saying it's not a good thing. I'm sure the Slipper works fine for a lot of people. The idea though that your entire drivetrain will fail quicker, if you don't have one, is not entirely true. That has more to do with driving style, driving conditions and proper maintenance.

Last edited by blade329; 10-04-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

i've tried direct drive, clutch, and traction drive... And I was pro direct drive... and after trying it, i totally love it! it's simple and little to no maintenance. It kinda reminds me of a mechanical current limiter. It removes all that tire spin on the low rpm, yet you still get that sense of direct drive... it's like almost perfect IMO... I say give it a shot...

Originally Posted by itbvolks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.