R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #1
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to LosiFromHell986
Default Which 4wd Buggy?

I'm in the market for a 4wd buggy, but as I make my journey I'm sort of stuck. Which one is the best out of the XXX4, Yoke MR4 Super Dogfighter 2, or the MRC SB Sport?

The Yoke is not supported by my lhs, so it's basically between the XXX4 or the SB... Most people would agree that the XXX4 is much better than the MRC buggy, but I'd like to hear from the guys who have both or something like that?

Thanks
Jeff
LosiFromHell986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:37 PM   #2
Tech Elite

I like the Yok personally. Parts are harder to get, but it isn't as fragile as the Losi. Also, the TC version is the MR4TC and a lot of the chasis and transmission parts are the same. This older TC was pretty common, so just stock up on some extra arms and the rest should be fairly common.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:38 PM   #3
Tech Master

Thanks for the reply man, but I may be getting a XXX4 tomorrow morning off of ebay...
Old 06-29-2004, 11:40 PM   #4
Tech Elite

...plus 4wd is uncommon anyway, so parts for any of these cars are going to be kind of rare. Losi is more common, but you'll have to replace the parts more often, so that kind of negates the advantages. Don't know much about the academy, other than its fairly inexpensive and new, so not much support at this time.
Old 06-29-2004, 11:41 PM   #5
Tech Apprentice

http://www.jconcepts.net/preorder/bj4/

Check out the BJ4. Looks sweet; I want one...if it ever goes to production.'fingers crossed'
beeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 11:50 PM   #6
Tech Master

beeoh: WAY too much money for me, Plus I'm a Losi Guy
Old 06-30-2004, 05:51 AM   #7
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Well, your a losi guy like you said so you may want to go with a losi. XX-4 or XXX-4, your choice.

Personally, I love my MRC / Academy SB . The guys at MRC are really helpful, especially if you speak with Tim. Just remember that the vehicle is still fairly new, so as the word gets around, more people will carry the vehicle. You have read the SB thread, so you know what the vehicle can do.

Whatever you choose, just stick with it, the more people see a 4wd go, the more they will want it and join you.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:37 AM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

In the UK, we are developing parts for the SB, to make it even more ultra reliable and better, as there are some issue's, and ones that we can't realy do in more than a small batch, we are taking to Academy to sort out.

The car is half the price of the Losi, and spares are about half the price, if not less. Plus other than a few bits which are prematurley wearing, the thing is bullet proof.

And if you ask anyone who has driven one....

THEY ACCELERATE REAL FAST!!!
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 08:55 AM   #9
Tech Legend

Full agreement here with you Dacookiemonsta. The vehicle really has the punch down pat. Can't wait to see how it goes with the new tires I put on.

you mentioned that you got some parts in the works, can you post which ones? Also, the VIP site is acting funny again.
Old 06-30-2004, 09:17 AM   #10
Tech Master

the VIP room on rcracechat has been closed, and a new forum in the making.

There has been some issuea with some minor parts, which we think we have resolved, them being

1. Diff screw shearing (possible fix with a part from another Academy car)

2. Driveshaft/outdrive wear - possibly caused by soft pins on the end of the CVD, I have drifted out the original pin and in the process of fitting stainless steel pins and going to test on some new outdrives to see if the wear re-apears.

3. Flex in the steering arms, a few UK spec parts are being done to test a fix, I am sure they will be up to order overseas as well, once proven.

The rest is performance upgrades.
Old 06-30-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Not preaching or any thing, BUT even though the BJ4x4 may be a little harder on the pocket.

The thing is awesome, they are only a week or two from shipping. It was finished being built a day before the worlds and it qualified 13th. At this year ROAR nationals 3 of the 5 BJ's qualified into the A-main with Mark Pavidis (10th), Scott Brown (6th) and Greg Hodapp qualifying 3rd (4th), he also led all 3 A-mains for half of the race. Jason Ruona also won the B-main by a considerable amount. Parts are redaly avalible because it uses B4 arms, rear hubs and suspention, TC3 srive train. But you can also purchase all of the custom woven carbon fibre parts like shock towers, chassis and shaft cover and the all of the hard blue anodized aluminium parts used in the steering rack and for shock tower mounts.

Using Associated's B4 suspention and the briliant mind of Jason Ruona to get the most refined suspention geometry to make the BJ4x4 the smooth car through the corners, in the bumps and over the jump. Combine this with Associated's TC3 drive train, it makes the BJ4x4 fast down the straight. But the best feature of the BJ4x4 is the amount of acceleration it has out of the corners, because of the least amount of resistance created by the TC3 drive SHAFT it make the BJ4x4 like a rock out of the corners. Said by RC Car Action "It accelerates like an on-road car"

Alot of work and refinements have gone into this car, it isn't just being thrown out there onto the market eg: original XXX-4. The original release date of the Machine was ment to be Febuary of this year, but because of the determination of JConcepts (Jason Ruona, Brad Reefs, all of the testing team and drivers) to get this car to almost pin-point perfection. It has beed put back to the benifit of us racers. Not looking for sales or a huge profit JConcepts is spending a huge amount of time on this car to make it one of the most raceable and competable 4wd on the market.

The Price may be a little steep, but when you look at it, it's only 1/3rd the price of the durango and is now better than it ever was.
The price of teh Bj4x4 will be $500US
But sign up now on the pre-order list and you will get a 10% discount, which makes it $450US, thats only $100US more than the XXX-4 G+.

I have said my piece, and please any one whom reads this dont feel like i am preaching or trying to sell this product. I just feel so pasionate on the subject.

BJ4x4 ALL THE WAY!!!
AE ALL THE WAY!!!

Last edited by Andrew Selvaggi; 06-30-2004 at 11:13 AM.
Andrew Selvaggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

beeoh: as i said in my post above, yes the BJ4x4 is in production and will be shipping in a week or 2 GET EXCITED and sign up for that pre-order list to get a 10% discount, makes things a little easier on the pocket!
Old 06-30-2004, 11:16 AM   #13
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Cain
Whatever you choose, just stick with it, the more people see a 4wd go, the more they will want it and join you.
This is the reason I'm interested! At my Track we have a 4wd class and it blows me away... In fact most are the XXX4G+, I'm waiting to see if Chris will race his SB Sport...

I'm also leaning towards the XXX4 because my LHS(Track) carries the SB Sport, but as you all said, not parts yet.

I'm deciding whatever comes first. A Cheap XXX4 or enough money for an SB Sport.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #14
Tech Legend

No problem LosiFromHell, just make sure you get all the info you need on the vehicles and make an informed decision and stick with it for a bit to get the full effect.

Alot of people I know will dump a vehicle as soon as they break one part! I know it sucks but that happens, just keep working on it. I almost threw my TC3 against a wall when it just wouldn't drive like my XXX-S. After two weeks of practice and reading on setups, I could easily be in the A-main, just needed to practice and get my style down.

As for the BJ4x4, the vehicle looks great, no complaints here about that and I believe it will be a stong contender and may make AE look again at the 4wd for next year.

My only thing is that even at $450, the price is still a bit steep for the common guy or even the racer wanting to get into 4wd offroad. I think they would have been better to go with a price of $399 . this keeps you only $70 from the losi . ( $329 is the price I usually see it going for ) which you can justify as it has the one-way in it and is newer.

I am also not suprised by the acceleration it has with its shaft drive. The Academy has blistering acceleration too and it is also shaft drive.

I think both vehicles for what they are offer ways into 4wd racing. The BJ4x4 gives you an all out racer, and the Academy SB Sport gives you a vehicle you don't feel embarassed to run with the current 4wd crop.

It will be interesting to see what the price of the all option Academy SB will be when it comes out. If you figure $100 on top of what it is already at, might be $250 from ultimate hobbies? If they include the one-way and the slipper, graphite were needed and full UJs, sign me up!
Old 06-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #15
Tech Master

I believe before they release the SB Pro, there are a few issue's to iron out, otherwise it will go down like a lead balloon to be honest.

To be honest, for most of us out there, I don't think there would realy be any difference in our driving using a spec'd up SB and a full blown BJ4x4.

Personally, paying that much for a car offers more of a let down when it doesn't make some blisteringly quick. The BJ is a highly spec'd car, and looks the business, and if I was a top National driver, I would think about it, as I am not, but a good regional driver, the SB for me is a far more cost effective drive.