Can't decide B4.1/T4.1 >

Can't decide B4.1/T4.1

Can't decide B4.1/T4.1

Old 02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Can't decide B4.1/T4.1

Hi All,

Ok, this is my first post. I recently bought a Rustler VXL and been having a lot of fun with it. I've now decided to get into racing, and I want something a little more suited to off-road dirt track racing than the rustler. I'll keep the rustler as more of a basher and speed demon, though I will probably race it as well.

I'd like something that will race well out of the box without much (or any) mod. I'm just getting into the sport, and don't want to spend all my time tweaking stuff. I want to get another RTR rather than a kit.

So I've been looking at the new B4.1/T4.1 that are just coming out. I kinda like the buggy version, though I'm not really sure why. I haven't seen either of them in person - only pics on the web.

Durability is a key for me - not sure if the T4 might be tougher? But I also want something that will handle well around tight turns and jump well. I also don't know whether to get the brushed or brushless version (which ever one I go for). As a beginner, can I run the brushless setup, or would brushless mean I'd be up against the better drivers?

Also would the T4 be in the same class as the Rustler I guess? I'd like to be able to race in two different classes to get more track time.

So please tell me which I should get and brushless or not. Any suggestions apart from B4/T4 are welcome too!

Thanks for reading,
Nick.

Last edited by BadHeli; 02-24-2010 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

a T4 will blow the doors off a Rustler anyday. Get a brushless setup, you will happy you did. You will run with everyone else. As far as i know, if you race in a sportsman/stock class, it's pretty much a run whatcha bring thing... with the only limit being 2s lipos/6 cell batts, and a stock motor.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I would go for the truck version... there are very few tracks that even have a 1/10 buggy class these days, at least for your typical outdoor dirt tracks. Every outdoor track I've been to, even indoor offroad seem to have the 1/10 truck class. Since you already have the Rustler.. I would highly recommend spending a few more bucks buying the Hot Bodies Ve8 (use a coupon from towers and it's only 230) and grab the electronics. Out racing you will find 1/8 is truly king and will wonder why you didnt switch sooner. Pick up a MMM combo setup off ebay or even a MMpro with a Medusa 60,70mm or similar and be ready for some real racing.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:18 AM
Dob
Tech Addict

Now your going to have all three suggestions... If you have a Rustler I would go for the B4. This is only assuming that your track consistently has a strong showing of 1/10th scale buggies. This way you can race in buggy and truck. The Rustler, although not the best racer, will be fine for a beginner. Started with a 10th scale buggy and it is still my favorite class to run.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Indoor racing B4.
Out door racing T4.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Make sure you go to the track you are going to race at to see what is popular. The track I race at is dominated by 2wd buggies (21 entries on Saturday). Our truck class generally has 6 to 8 entries. Each track has its own mix of what is popular. You don't want to buy something and then find out there are not enough of them to run.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:05 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Indoor racing B4.
Out door racing T4.
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I will be racing outdoor. I guess I will try and find out if there is a decent number of buggies racing for me to go against. If not I might go with a T4 and just keep the Rustler for bashing. I can already tell the rusty needs to be setup differently to really be competitive. I would like to run two classes if possible for experience though.

One of the guys at the track suggested I get an Associated RC10 SCT as its a popular class (and pretty cheap), but they're kinda bigger than I want to lug around and don't appeal to me as much as the buggies and stadiums at this stage.

The Hot Bodies Ve8 is an interesting thought! Looks nice, but maybe biting more than I can chew right now... I'm not ruling it out, but I just thought 4WD will be more expensive to run and 2WD is better for a beginner to learn on etc? The price on a brushless B4/T4 RTR is pretty good it seems, but I would consider a more expensive setup like the Ve8 if people think that's a better way to go.
Old 02-25-2010, 12:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

It is hard to go wrong with a 1/10 buggy, and the price point of the B4.1 brushless in attractive. Many tracks have a run whatever you bring novice class, which means that they probably will let you run brushless in novice. The only problem is that you might have to run against trucks and sct which can be hard on buggies. I know this might be an unpopular stance, but I would not buy a sct until it is proven that they are just not another trend. I have been racing on since the late 80's with a couple of interuptions and there 1/10 buggy has always been a staple. When I first started running they didn't even have a 1/10 racing truck, but ever since the first true kits have been out 1/10 truck has been steady, but there always seems to be a few more buggies than trucks. The only question I have about the 4.1s is the sealed gear transmission. This seems to be an odd cost cutting method. Associated did this with their sport version of the pan cars too.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I am going to pick up the T4.1 RTR to get back into electric again. I love 1/10 buggy but the place I run is rough and suits the T4 much better plus I have tons to truck tires from my GT2.

I like the price point on the T4.1 Brushless RTR. It will be easy on the pocket to pick up one of these rides
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Kirbdog
I am going to pick up the T4.1 RTR to get back into electric again. I love 1/10 buggy but the place I run is rough and suits the T4 much better plus I have tons to truck tires from my GT2.

I like the price point on the T4.1 Brushless RTR. It will be easy on the pocket to pick up one of these rides
Yeah, I think I might do the same. I'm curious about the buggies, and I already have the Rustler, but I'm thinking as a beginner racer maybe the T4.1 is the way to go. I think I'd like the way a buggy would handle sharper turns a little better, but I also want something pretty tough, and the track I will be running at is a bit rough I guess (not too bad though). Hmmm
Old 02-26-2010, 10:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think you would be better off getting a used FTT4 than the T4.1 the T4.1 needs upgrades that will exceed the value of the brushless setup that comes with it.. for starters it comes with a gear diff not a ball diff and has no FTT4 upgrades that you will want if you are going to race.. if you just want to have fun then it is fine, just weigh out your decisions it may be cheaper in the long run.

just my .02
Ron
Old 02-26-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Why not get the ftt4 and put the rustler electronics in it?
Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Default FTT4

I have looked at the FTT4 and wondered about it...

At this stage I don't want to part up the rusty, as I want to have 2 trucks in case 1 is off the road (and because I do like it). I know its not suited to racing though, and swapping out the electronics is an option I might consider down the track.

My reasoning for the T4.1 over FTT4 is I'm itching to get on the track with something (other than the rusty) and the initial outlay will be considerably less. No doubt I will want to upgrade it as I go along, and maybe end up costing more over time, but I'm cool with that. Having said that, one of the guys at the track also suggested I get a kit.

I'm still considering all options, and keeping an eye on the used market as well. There's a Losi XXX-CR buggy up for sale (body - no electrics - some spares). I haven't made an offer because I think he's asking too much - but if I could get it for a reasonable price do you think that would that be a good option...? It's in reasonable shape by the sound of it - been raced 6 times or so. It would end up costing more than a T4.1 RTR, but less than a FTT4 (once built). I will need a TR/RX, motor, esc and servo for anything other than RTR, so it adds up...

I haven't completely ruled out an SCT yet either. The SC10's are the most popular thing at the track. One of the guys just setup a new Ofna Hyper 10 SC Pro 4WD that seems to go really well and actually looked pretty cool. More dollars though. They run $270 for the kit.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks!
Old 02-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BadHeli
I have looked at the FTT4 and wondered about it...

At this stage I don't want to part up the rusty, as I want to have 2 trucks in case 1 is off the road (and because I do like it). I know its not suited to racing though, and swapping out the electronics is an option I might consider down the track.

My reasoning for the T4.1 over FTT4 is I'm itching to get on the track with something (other than the rusty) and the initial outlay will be considerably less. No doubt I will want to upgrade it as I go along, and maybe end up costing more over time, but I'm cool with that. Having said that, one of the guys at the track also suggested I get a kit.

I'm still considering all options, and keeping an eye on the used market as well. There's a Losi XXX-CR buggy up for sale (body - no electrics - some spares). I haven't made an offer because I think he's asking too much - but if I could get it for a reasonable price do you think that would that be a good option...? It's in reasonable shape by the sound of it - been raced 6 times or so. It would end up costing more than a T4.1 RTR, but less than a FTT4 (once built). I will need a TR/RX, motor, esc and servo for anything other than RTR, so it adds up...

I haven't completely ruled out an SCT yet either. The SC10's are the most popular thing at the track. One of the guys just setup a new Ofna Hyper 10 SC Pro 4WD that seems to go really well and actually looked pretty cool. More dollars though. They run $270 for the kit.

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions. Thanks!
I just picked up a FTT4 roller with all kinds of spare parts for $150 shipped
Old 02-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rc10t4
I just picked up a FTT4 roller with all kinds of spare parts for $150 shipped
I'm still waiting for the T4.1 to become available. The date has slipped from Late Feb to Mid March according to Tower. I couldn't wait (itchy fingers) so I've ordered a HPI Blitz RTR. I think I'll probably still get a T4.1 when they're available in a couple of months.

I did consider the SC10 and maybe should have gone that way given it shares a lot of the same parts as the T4, but the Blitz has been getting some excellent reviews for being good to race out of the box with minimal adjustment. It's also meant to be tough and jumps well, which were two of my main criteria. Anyway it seemed a pretty good deal for the price, so I'll see how it goes. I'll probably upgrade it to a brushless system, but the 15 turn brushed motor should be ok to get me going while I'm getting to grips with it. Don't like the FM radio either, but it'll do for starters.

The advantage of getting the SCT is that there are more SCT runners at the track, so being a newbie hopefully shouldn't matter as much. I watched the ST's going around on the weekend, and the standard of driving was very high (not sure I'll be at that level for a while), whereas there was a bit more variation with the SCT drivers (from excellent to average).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.