Wiki Posts
Search

How To: Make Lipos?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 10:51 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default How To: Make Lipos?

So I have two 3 cells batteries that I would really like to make into one 5 cell. How hard is this to do? Is there a tutorial anywhere?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/LipoPack.html

I wouldn't attempt it personally.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

+1
Old 09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Originally Posted by RB5SP
+1
+2

Put the two of them in series and turn down your EPA
Old 09-29-2010, 11:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

It's really not as hard as people think it is.
But truthfully, if you have to ask how to do it I wouldn't recommend it either. The learning curve on them can have pretty severe consequences to yourself, batteries, and equipment.

I've been wiring (and unwiring) lipos for a little while and thankfully the worst I've had happen when accidentally touching the + and - together with my iron or tool is a big spark but it has the ability to at least short the pack if not ignite in my hands.

If you're hell bent on doing it I would first recommend buying a couple super cheap Zippy lipos and practice on them. wear at a minimum some ballistic goggles, work gloves, and preferably a ventilator of some kind and just take the shrinkwrap off a couple, look VERY carefully how they are wired up, and practice unsoldering and resoldering the same pack. If you short it, oh well. That's how I learned (thankfully I didn't ruin any packs!) and the only way I'd suggest going at it. A VERY good way to learn how to wire packs is by looking at what MaxAmps did with their MV pack. Every lipo cell has a + and a - side. By knowing which is which you can put as many or as few cells in a row as you want. You could turn both your packs into a 3.7v 30,000mah pack or a 22.2v 5000mah pack assuming you have 11.1v 5000s. It's neat technology but shouldn't be taken lightly.

Good luck!
Old 09-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Trialser
So I have two 3 cells batteries that I would really like to make into one 5 cell. How hard is this to do? Is there a tutorial anywhere?
#1 make sure they are the exact same lipo's (SAME CELLS) same size same c same EVERYTHING. (if not abort!)

#2 change your approach for ease until you, like said above, have more experience.

#3 make a series connector off the ESC or that connects to the ESC for whatever terminal ends you are using (deans, esc5, traxxas etc) on your packs don't change these (if you cannot even do this you may want to abort!)

#4 Leave pack #1 alone and just plug into one of your series connectors to the ESC

#5 open pack #2 and CAREFULLY remove 1 cell from the pack (NEGATIVE side) **If you remove the cell from the positive side (red) you will have to redo your pin out on your balance tap when done

#6 your best bet is to just cut the tab clean off and tight to the cell you are removing leaving the two tabs together and on the cells you are keeping. (do this wrong and your SOL)

#7 Now desolder the negative lead to your connector on the other tab (of the removed cell) and also remove the last balance tap wire on the cell you are removing, also pull this right out of the balance tap as well.

#8 Now Solder that negative lead to the tabs that you just cut free that use to be (ask if you are not clear) attached to the cell you are removing. This will make a 2s packs.

#9 dispose of the extra CELL properly **** careful pulling it off the other cells, often people use adhesive to hold them together,, you could leave this unused cell in place at the expense of size and dead weight, just cut off the remaining tab, **( I'd also move it to a store charge voltage before ripping into the pack if you did this)

#10 re shrink it and connect to the other plug on your series adapter to the ESC

PS YOU CAN SHRINK THE TWO PACKS TOGETHER, but when you charge you will charge separate, as a 3s and a 2s. Without a 5s balance tap you cannot charge/balance as 1 pack. (see note below)

IF YOU are really advanced the best way to combine the two packs together without using any external series adapters is harder but not impossible but will also require a NEW 5s balance tap. If you want directions ask, but what I described is pretty clean and easy to do... BASIC SAFETY and CAUTION as noted above....

Last edited by 8ight-e; 09-29-2010 at 12:42 PM.