Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
water damage to novak ballistic-->HELP >

water damage to novak ballistic-->HELP

water damage to novak ballistic-->HELP

Old 09-28-2010, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default water damage to novak ballistic-->HELP

accidently hit some water today. i am getting the error lights for locked rotor. I can nudge the truck and it will take off. If I let the truck come to a complete stop I have to nudge it to get it to move again. There is a loud binding noise when I give just enough throttle to let the truck creep. The noise isnt there past 1/64 throttle. I took motor apart and cleaned and blew out. Put some WD 40 in there. (may have made worse)

will this problem go away if i drive the truck around slowly and let it bind?
any tips?

thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Did you put 0 timing back on motor?

you can call novak technical or e mail

Hours: Monday-Friday: 8:30am – 10:30am and
2:00pm – 4:00pm (Pacific Standard Time)
Telephone: 949-833-8873
Fax: 949-833-1631
Email [email protected]
Address: 17032 Armstrong Ave., Irvine, CA 92614
Old 09-29-2010, 04:27 AM
Tech Addict

i put the timing back to factory settings. i emailed tech last night. man this sucks.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skyler hays View Post
i put the timing back to factory settings. i emailed tech last night. man this sucks.
Check your motor wires and sensor wires..

if you hit water, maybe spray a little wd40 "water displacement" to help.. typically water won't ruin a brushless motor, though sensored motors are a lot more sensitive than sensorless. These motors come right apart for cleaning purposes... but it sounds more like a connection issue.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:22 AM
Company Representative

accidently hit some water today. i am getting the error lights for locked rotor. I can nudge the truck and it will take off. If I let the truck come to a complete stop I have to nudge it to get it to move again. There is a loud binding noise when I give just enough throttle to let the truck creep. The noise isnt there past 1/64 throttle. I took motor apart and cleaned and blew out. Put some WD 40 in there. (may have made worse)

will this problem go away if i drive the truck around slowly and let it bind?
any tips?

thanks.
Continuing to use BL motors or controllers once you see significant signs of damage will probably cause even more damage---a bad motor can also ruin your speed control. I'm not sure WD-40 should ever be used.

Video: How to Clean Your BL Motor

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Please make your initial email as detailed as possible. Include:

~ speed control (brand/model)
~ motor (brand/wind)
~ number/type of cells
~ battery, brand (c rating/capacity
~ rotor (old/new)
~ connectors used
~ servo (brand/model)
~ radio system (receiver/transmitter)
~ vehicle & gearing
~ warranty claim?
~ lipo cut-off, on/off
~ any external modules (BEC/brand, Glitch Buster)
~ other important info: water damage, corrosive chemical sprays, excess heat, etc
Whenever contacting Customer Service/Tech Support, the more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NovakTwo View Post
Continuing to use BL motors or controllers once you see significant signs of damage will probably cause even more damage---a bad motor can also ruin your speed control. I'm not sure WD-40 should ever be used.

Video: How to Clean Your BL Motor

Because I am not part of Novak's technical support group, I suggest you email [email protected] with your question, Our regular CS/Tech Support hours can be located here. Before emailing, take a moment to review the instructions (trouble-shooting guide) originally included with your Novak Item:

Novak Instruction Downloads

Trouble-shooting TeamNovak's One Touch™ Speed Controls

Whenever contacting Customer Service/Tech Support, the more information you provide in your first email, the more quickly tech support can offer you assistance.
Obviously do what ever novak says.. but that cleaning video is for dust/dirt not water and who knows what in the water that will most likely start corrosion. And to be more specific, I've done this before w/o any issue but do this at your OWN RISK. Take the motor apart just as shown in the video but lightly spray and wipe down the coil section & bearings as needed, may want some bearing lube in as well. Use a towel to dry as you work maybe even the compressed air, then use that towel to wipe down the other parts EXCEPT the timing end, I wouldnt spray directly into this maybe wipe down if you see something on it that you don't like and re-assemble. Like I said I've done this w/o issues, but do it at your own RISK! If the manufacturer says no, I'd do exactly what the manufacturer says expecially if you have a warranty.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

i assume my warranty is void bc of the water... i emailed tech today and no response yet. we will see what they say. WD 40 may not be a good idea, but it has to be better for it than water.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Don't use WD-40. If you want to try something, use rubbing alcohol as it will help dry out the water. We used to do this will boat ESC's, receivers, and servos all the time. Servos and receivers usually come back to life... ESC's usually don't.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:06 AM
Company Representative

i assume my warranty is void bc of the water... i emailed tech today and no response yet. we will see what they say. WD 40 may not be a good idea, but it has to be better for it than water.
Water will void your warranty, but it can also corrode the innards of the motor if not dried out. Never spray electronics with anything not specifically approved by the manufacturer. Water (generally) does not include additional chemicals---WD-40 does.

We can replace/exchange/upgrade your motor:

TeamNovak BL Motor Service Program

Googling around, I found this:

WD-40 Aerosol Lubricant
Old 09-30-2010, 07:46 PM
Tech Addict

i still have not heard from tech. i have been running the vehicle ever morning and every evening. this morning the glitching/binding was gone. this afternoon it was back again. i might try the alcohol. novak two i saw the info on the wd40. looks like alot of solvent. that is all i could get from it. i couldnt read the page for the trade in stuff. will you send the link again or a diff link?
Old 10-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Company Representative

Here is a different link for our Customer Service info that might work for you:

TeamNovak Customer Service Information

This page has links to both Novak Trade-In programs (escs and motors) and other info. I asked our engineers about a motor with moisture damage: It should be disassembled immediately, so that the water can evaporate completely; using a hair dryer on "warm" may also help dry out the interior.

If you have not received an email response within 24 hours, please re-send; we may not have received it.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Another thing that might help draw out moisture is to put the motor in a ziplock bag full of rice. (Old cell phone trick)
Old 10-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

BL motors are pretty simple and novak ballistic series can be fully repaired/serviced by the consumer..

the coils do not have any open contact.. if they do you will have dead short and that will not happen from water..

you have a sensor issue.. the part on the back that you turn to adjust timing.. if it will not work properly just replace it.. not very hard and not really any more work then taking the rotor out....

only other possible issue is you got the speedo wet at the same time.. that you will need to send in..

also rubbing alcohol is what like 70% water.. never use on electronics.. use denatured alcohol.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ammdrew View Post

also rubbing alcohol is what like 70% water.. never use on electronics.. use denatured alcohol.
Only 3% actually.