Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What 17.5 BL motor can I run with a Mamba Sidewinder? >

What 17.5 BL motor can I run with a Mamba Sidewinder?

What 17.5 BL motor can I run with a Mamba Sidewinder?

Old 09-28-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default What 17.5 BL motor can I run with a Mamba Sidewinder?

I am looking for a good 17.5 motor that I can run with a Mamba Sidewinder ESC in a SC truck. Brushless is all Greek to me. I know that the Sidewinder is not the best, but it is all I have. I cannot afford to buy a new system right now, so I have to use what I have. Any information or advice is much appreciated.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

You can run pretty much any brand you want. I tried it a couple of years ago and it was not very good, because most all 17.5 motors are sensored. I never found a true sensorless 17.5 motor. The Hobbywing sensorless 17.5 motors are not a true sensorless motor they are a sensor motor without the sensor on the back. The truck would sometimes completely stop and not move until you rolled it first.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

ur sidewinder is a sensorless esc, which means u must run a sensorless motor (sensored motors have 7 or so small wires including the 3 normal ones)

ur choices for sensorless motors or limited to mainly kv ratings. the smallest i could find for castle creations in a 4600, wich is somewere around a 10.5 range. next lowest would be the vxl traxxas motor at 3500kv. but, the vxl has a bigger rotor meaning u will have more tourq bringing closer to a 13.5 range.

hope I helped.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Greenbandit View Post
I am looking for a good 17.5 motor that I can run with a Mamba Sidewinder ESC in a SC truck. Brushless is all Greek to me. I know that the Sidewinder is not the best, but it is all I have. I cannot afford to buy a new system right now, so I have to use what I have. Any information or advice is much appreciated.
Theoretically, you can run any 1/10th scale brushless motor with a sidewinder - if it is a sensored motor, the ESC just won't use the sensors. I have run a Novak 8.5 with a sidewinder and just wrapped the sensor cable around the shock tower. It worked very well.

That said, you are also unlikely to be happy running any 17.5 ROAR style motor with a sidewinder or most any other sensorless controller. That is, unless you have someone standing behind your car giving it a push every time you want to go from a standing start. The gearing you need to run a 17.5 at any reasonable speed means it is very hard for a sensorless control to reliably start the motor running.

Save your money and get a sensored controller. If you are only racing, you don't need one with a LiPo cutoff (because you will never reach the cutoff in any reasonable length race), so an old Novak SuperSport would do the job.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks guys for the info. Sounds like I don't really have an option other than buying a new system. No racing for me anytime soon.