Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Team Durango DEX408. >

Team Durango DEX408.

Like Tree1Likes

Team Durango DEX408.

Old 09-25-2010, 11:55 AM
Tech Elite

Fine then points, I will play. Which is more plausible, that someone goes off and spends at least 50,000 for one cnc machine and figures out how to make gears, screwed, dogbones, towers, etc... and then decides to invest at least $50,000 to make a mold for wheels, tires, foams, etc... per car, or does it make more sense that there are common places to buy these things.

Everyone always says that something is an exact copy of something else. Simply not true.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hakmazter View Post
Fine then points, I will play. Which is more plausible, that someone goes off and spends at least 50,000 for one cnc machine and figures out how to make gears, screwed, dogbones, towers, etc... and then decides to invest at least $50,000 to make a mold for wheels, tires, foams, etc... per car, or does it make more sense that there are common places to buy these things.

Everyone always says that something is an exact copy of something else. Simply not true.
you are not making any sense. Very simple, back off your statement that the brands you mentined are conneted by defining how. Your other stuff is just basic blaa-blaa about subcontracting manufacturing which we all already know. Making alu parts is the most easiest thing to do and rather cheap. Making plastics is also very simple and the real know-how (in addition to actual mould design) is in defining the parts geometry and the needed material, not the actual parts making. Also the $ figures you present are just peanuts for the money involved in different volume production investments being done all the time.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:15 PM
Tech Elite

You are beginning to prove my point. Keep going.
Old 09-25-2010, 02:19 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by audriusv View Post
Very similar to my Caster to...
Your Caster looks a lot like my Mugen.

Originally Posted by Poinas2 View Post
So first you claim Caster has nothing to do with the rest and now you claim Caster makes the cars you mentined or what ?

Anyway it's not a secret who makes TD but for sure it's not Caster and besides they don't even claim they manufacture in-house. Also it's not a secret that 2 cars made in the same factory does not make them equal in performance or in quality. It's all down to spec and design. So really you should not even try to claim DEX408 would have something to do with Caster. Cars share same lay-out principles in battery placement and that's it. Needless to say the whole geometry is from different world. It's like you compare your SK-10 to DEX410 full-spec. You can do that but does it mean they really are a like ?

Anyway let's first get the car out and to tracks and see from there.
+1,000,000
Old 09-25-2010, 04:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R-E-A-P-E-R- View Post
Well being how he is the Owner of Caster Racing USA I would say yes he probably knows a bit more tan the average Joe when it comes to the retail side of this biz.
I was actually looking for facts...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BOLISARIO View Post
Your Caster looks a lot like my Mugen.

+1,000,000
As it should considering a lot of the parts come from the exact same place....
Old 09-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Poinas2 View Post
you are not making any sense. Very simple, back off your statement that the brands you mentined are conneted by defining how. Your other stuff is just basic blaa-blaa about subcontracting manufacturing which we all already know. Making alu parts is the most easiest thing to do and rather cheap. Making plastics is also very simple and the real know-how (in addition to actual mould design) is in defining the parts geometry and the needed material, not the actual parts making. Also the $ figures you present are just peanuts for the money involved in different volume production investments being done all the time.
I quoted the numbers low intentionally. At least you know something then and that is my point.

So if we all already know that subcontracting exists and it isn't any big deal, then explain to me how the general public does what it does?

How is it that I can sell maybe 1 tool per month badged as Caster and as soon as it gets renamed and reanodized and sold by someone else, it sells like crazy?

How is it that a person will pay rediculous prices for parts when they could get the exact same thing for less money? I can certainly take Caster completely out of it for the argument if you would like.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

But actually, I think we should take this out of Team Durango's thread if you want to continue arguing about things that have no relevance on them. Well, other than the fact that they copied our 3 year old design and people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread due to a slightly narrow and different shaped chassis plate.
Old 09-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

But actually, I think we should take this out of Team Durango's thread if you want to continue arguing about things that have no relevance on them. Well, other than the fact that they copied our 3 year old design and people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread due to a slightly narrow and different shaped chassis plate.
And let's not forget about the more modern updated body styling.... That does make a difference for the new customers attracted to this new class of vehicles...
Old 09-25-2010, 08:58 PM
Tech Regular

Well, other than the fact that they copied our 3 year old design and people think it is the greatest thing since sliced bread due to a slightly narrow and different shaped chassis plate.
Right, because your design is something that no one did before...
It only takes a quick look into 1/10th 4wd buggies to know what's the best layout, it was out there already long before your car hit the market.

Oh, and by the way, it actually is the greatest thing not just for the layout, but the whole car with all the good stuff from the DNX, and i can tell much more differences than a narrow chasis
Old 09-26-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

wow........so.........yeah.........about that DEX408
Old 09-26-2010, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chirivita View Post
That's really nice Brandon! DEX408+Elite mount =
Might be hard to do with the tight motor spacing with the steering rack. The motor plate will have to be thin to make everything fit.

Last edited by kufman; 09-26-2010 at 09:35 AM.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chirivita View Post
Right, because your design is something that no one did before...
It only takes a quick look into 1/10th 4wd buggies to know what's the best layout, it was out there already long before your car hit the market.

Oh, and by the way, it actually is the greatest thing not just for the layout, but the whole car with all the good stuff from the DNX, and i can tell much more differences than a narrow chasis
I don't recall a 1/10 having dual battery packs. Enlighten me please. We are discussing 1/8 scale.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

I don't recall a 1/10 having dual battery packs. Enlighten me please. We are discussing 1/8 scale.
alot of 1/10 4wd buggies use saddle packs, which are basically dual battery packs. Can we stop the bitching now and get back on subject? For a head of a company you really aren't doing Caster any favors.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matt Howard View Post
wow........so.........yeah.........about that DEX408
what he said

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service