R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-27-2004, 06:35 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

How would i go about making my own Pipe??

Hey guys, i was wondering how i would go about making my owned tuned pipe. I have a torq. .21 engine. I want good low end without losing top end. I think i saw that short narrow pipes are good for low end..?? Also, is there anything inside the pipe that would be akward to make or is it just hallow and the shape of the pipe is what matters. I know some are 2 stage, thanks. Nick
SlikNick83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 05:35 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Anyone??? Can i just make a straight pipe, with maybe like a small chamber for the back pressure for the fuel line??
Old 06-28-2004, 06:35 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Firstly, it would be much easier to buy a tuned pipe. The pipes for the duratrax engines are very cheap, myself I am a Nitro R/C noob, but I picked up a Duratrax pipe for my kyosho engine for just 17.99US with manifold, coupler and mounting hardware.

Now I have no dramas and am happy with the power output. Its not huge, but its more than enough.

A similar one can be bought for the torq .21.

The aftermarket pipes are generally dyno tuned and tested, so they would produce the best results.

Now, if you still want to make one....go ahead.

Build 2 or 3 different pipes, but base the design on a production pipe.

Persoanlly I can't see the point, but I am an obsessive compulsive tinkerer, and can see your curiosities.

Even if it turns out to be a pointless exercise, you will learn a lot. You may also make some great pipes, you could use the duratrax manifold for different pipes.

Good luck.
jamiekulhanek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:01 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

What would be a good pipe?? I am thinking about that Savage Ribbed Pipe. I think its supposed to be good for low end because its short and narrow??
Old 06-30-2004, 03:47 PM   #5
Tech Addict

In my knowledge, it is NOT short and narrow that produces torque. More volume usually creates more torque. You want a shorter BUT fatter pipe. Correct me if im wrong about this anyone, but this is my understanding.
Techart27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 03:59 PM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via ICQ to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via AIM to DOMOisCOOL Send a message via Yahoo to DOMOisCOOL

Quote:
Originally posted by Techart27
In my knowledge, it is NOT short and narrow that produces torque. More volume usually creates more torque. You want a shorter BUT fatter pipe. Correct me if im wrong about this anyone, but this is my understanding.
That is correct. Long/Narrow for more top end, and vice versa.
DOMOisCOOL is offline   Reply With Quote