Wiki Posts
Search

Buggy Tire question?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 06:39 AM
Tech Adept

Default Buggy Tire question?

Hey Guys,
I have a Kyosho ZX-5 FS2 4wd buggy and am looking for a good set of tires to start out with. It will be run on an outdoor track, pretty small with a lot of turns, and a fair amount of jumps. Hard packed, dusty, pretty bumpy, low to medium traction (no blue groove). I have a set of ProLine Calibers and another full set of Dirt Hawgs and am wondering if I am on the right track with either of these choices. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
SoCal
Old 09-23-2010, 07:04 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Is this a track that you built and are running on by your self or with friends, or is it a track where a bunch of people race. If it is the first of the two the only way your going to find out what works is by trying different tires (calibers are probably a good start, holeshots or double dees too), but if it's just you and a few friends you probably are not going to want to spend a bunch of money on a bunch of different tires/inserts just to find out what works the very best (unless you are a very competitive person and want every little edge over your friends, or you have really deep pockets). What I suggest is start out with your calibers and see how they work, if they work good, great. If not keep running them until they are worn out and then replace them with something different. If it is a track where a bunch of people race, then just ask some people that run there what works best.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 101 (99%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Hey Guys,
I have a Kyosho ZX-5 FS2 4wd buggy and am looking for a good set of tires to start out with. It will be run on an outdoor track, pretty small with a lot of turns, and a fair amount of jumps. Hard packed, dusty, pretty bumpy, low to medium traction (no blue groove). I have a set of ProLine Calibers and another full set of Dirt Hawgs and am wondering if I am on the right track with either of these choices. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
SoCal
If you are in SoCal and talking about Pegasus (in Montclair), then use ProLine Holeshots or JConcepts Double Dee's... We just finished up a round of the JBRL series and the two tires I mentioned above, were the majority of what was used by racer's in the 4wd buggy class.

The Calibers will work okay, much better once the pin is worn down at least 1/2 way. The Dirt Hawg tires are not made for racing/track applications...
Old 09-23-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks for the tips
The track is located in Camarillo (SoCal), where the Roadrunners race. Not the best of tracks, but real convenient.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (93%+)

Originally Posted by SoCalGuy
Thanks for the tips
The track is located in Camarillo (SoCal), where the Roadrunners race. Not the best of tracks, but real convenient.

Proline Holeshots in M3 compound or JConcepts Double Dee's in Green compound will be perfect all around tire for that track. You may need a more aggressive tire like the Proline Caliber or the JConcepts Goosebumps if the track is real loamy or wet on occasion. Wouldnt hurt to have both styles available to you when you are racing.