Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Long Island Raceway, NY...Forum >

Long Island Raceway, NY...Forum

Long Island Raceway, NY...Forum

Old 01-22-2008, 07:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Only hard case lipos are allowed, those max amps are soft case and i dont think they have met roar approval. I dont think we go by roar rules entirely but i would assume they would have to be roar approved.

*Don't quote me on that, Ask rob betts he is running the race and it's by his rules he put in place.
None of the Lipos on the market are ROAR approved yet because the manufacturers have not submitted them to ROAR yet. I think Rob requires them to be hard cased and charged in a Lipo sack.

Max Amps just added a hard case option to their packs, so B44 guys can get Hard cased saddle packs now.
Old 01-22-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jamminjake View Post
Yeah I've heard it was great stock, thats how I been running it before, I was just curious how that setup worked. And yeah that was definitely in Bless's car.
If you need a setup stick pack isnt one of them! Dont screw with a car that works. If you need a setup there are 3 that i kno of that work. Mine (Tom Shields), Chris Makaks and Vin Nocellas. Personally i prefer mine
Old 01-22-2008, 08:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Default LIPO Saddle pack

MaxAmps is stating that with their new hard case for the saddle pack that those will now be ROAR legal. Has anyone else heard this and if so will Rob accept the use of those packs for racing?
Old 01-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys i have a T4 set up that was good on the last layout i have not raced it yet on this one ut i may get there tonight and try it
the lipo deal is hard case 7.4v and lipo sack is a must that is what rob is requiring
Old 01-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok with the battery situation. Up to my knowledge nothing is roar approved because they haven't been tested. For this race we will let cased Lipo's run. Keep in mind with all of you guys running to get Lipo's when roar does test them and some fail you WILL not be able to use the ones that fail. I know some companies out there selling Lipo's are using lower quality cells. I think some of you guys that don't already have the Lipo's might want to wait to see who passes the tests. To my knowledge Kokam is one of the best sell compaines and I know not that many companies use them yet.
Lipo Sack is Mandatory. You will be dq'ed if you are not using one.Remember guys it's all about safety...
Old 01-22-2008, 02:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Rob - Will there be a 'safe area' of the pits where the lipo guys can charge at 1C with fire bags in safety, and an 'unsafe area' where the guys can hit their IB4200s at 10 amps and blow the end caps off?

Seriously, glad to see ROAR step up and set some rules down for Lipos (and BL) before the genie got too far out of the bottle. Besides the companies that use Kokam cells, packs made with cells manufactured by Enerland are also supposed to be very high quality.

Gary

GMK Supply
http://www.gmksupply.com
Old 01-22-2008, 02:23 PM
Tech Adept

Andrew what tires are you using on your T4 ,and what foams, and are you using stock shock oil.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
Rob - Will there be a 'safe area' of the pits where the lipo guys can charge at 1C with fire bags in safety, and an 'unsafe area' where the guys can hit their IB4200s at 10 amps and blow the end caps off?

Seriously, glad to see ROAR step up and set some rules down for Lipos (and BL) before the genie got too far out of the bottle. Besides the companies that use Kokam cells, packs made with cells manufactured by Enerland are also supposed to be very high quality.

Gary

GMK Supply
http://www.gmksupply.com
Good point gary about those 4200's i have witnessed that twice already. I think andrew said his blew up charging at 5 amps. I'll be using my lipo sack though it doesnt hurt to keep it safe.
Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

i dont know...i have been weighing the LiPo options due to having a EP4600 that was 2 cycles old blow up on me IN THE CAR ON THE TRACK....

i dont really feel comfortable charging any battery that can be so sensitive to a small error on my part or just because it feels like it....weather it be LiPo OR NiMh...

when i saw the force that the EP exploded with i would NOT want to have that happen on my pit space in front of me...

this whole thing with batteries is kinda scary if you think about it...

i am almost starting to feel LiPo is safer with the right charger and a LiPo sack properly used....
Old 01-22-2008, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Lipo's burn, they have a big flash then just burn, personally I'll take that over 6 M80's strung together ready to grenade chunks into my eyes, I know a lot of people take the "that's the risk of racing" but it really shouldn't be. I don't like that if LIPO is over discharged the risk of a fire is greater, mistakes happen and I can see this being a common factor.
Old 01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3o_2mwRPdw&NR=1
Old 01-22-2008, 04:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

here is another interesting LiPo fire vid.....

http://www.commonsenserc.com/LipoSafe_promo.wmv

all i can say is that i will never charge at home again....

i am glad they say to leave a charge in the 4600s....at least if i need to hook up my car to test something i dont have to charge at all.....

i see no reason for my house to be damaged by an exploding battery....LOL....
Old 01-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by LAGREGA View Post
Andrew what tires are you using on your T4 ,and what foams, and are you using stock shock oil.
Nick, I have tapers on the back with Bomb 1 foams and directionals on the front. I have the stock oil in right now. I'm gonna try 35wt in the front on Friday.

Did you get a T4 Lagrega?
Old 01-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Tech Adept

Tommorow I should be getting mine I'm probably not going to start building it till next Friday though then I also have to get someone to paint my body I'm probably going to start out with box stock then I will start tweaking it from there. Are you coming down at all this week. And did you have any problems while building the truck.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

We aren't trying to start a battery debate. Yes Ib's have blown up. There is a bad batch in the country. As far as charing at million amps most off-road guys don't. I'm totally not afraid of the Kokam hard cased cells at all I've seen them try to blow them up and it's almost impossible. It's the other brands out there. Unfortunetly they are cheaper and many people have them those are what worry me. Also now these compaines are over add-on cases that from the pictures don't look very thick.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.