Wiki Posts
Search

losi vs. tekno

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (97%+)
Default losi vs. tekno

i am going to buy the elec conversion and was wondering which one i should buy? which one is better?
Old 09-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_racing
i am going to buy the elec conversion and was wondering which one i should buy? which one is better?
This thread could go on and on.Just take a good look at the support from each side.Tekno answers question promptly.You can even call them on the phone and they are more than happy to help you.Tekno has more setup options also.You also get a new chassis for a few bucks more.I have had both and i am loyal to Tekno.Their support rocks!!!
Old 09-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I vote Losi.
Old 09-09-2010, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

I've had both, go tekno with out a doubt and never think twice! Even if you have the 1.0 version get the newer 2.0 kit from tekno, all the parts will drop on and all you need is a longer 2.0 rear center cvd. Not only do you get the traktion drive (or clutch) you get to use mechanical brakes.. I run a full second faster avg lap w/ my tekno kit vs the losi kit to boot.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Elite

think i am going tekon. so with the mechanical break...how does that all work? i have ran 1/10 and never have herd that so i really dont know what that means
Old 09-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tq_racing
think i am going tekon. so with the mechanical break...how does that all work? i have ran 1/10 and never have herd that so i really dont know what that means

I along with MANY of the E guys feel the Mech brakes are Not needed and is only adding more weight, another servo to worry about, linkages and for what its worth in the end Just isn't what its all cracked up to be....same deal with the clutch....Direct drive and Motor brakes are where its at.
Old 09-09-2010, 09:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Tekno! I like the mech brakes. Easier on motor and esc. Plus brake biasing
Old 09-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

so i take it the mach break is just like on the nitro?? how does it help? isnt that what the esc is sopose to do? that is why you can set the breaking curve?
Old 09-10-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
I along with MANY of the E guys feel the Mech brakes are Not needed and is only adding more weight, another servo to worry about, linkages and for what its worth in the end Just isn't what its all cracked up to be....same deal with the clutch....Direct drive and Motor brakes are where its at.
In a buggy, yes you can get away w/ motor braking.. but come on the weight of a standard servo? LOL The reduced stress on the motor and ESC is every bit worth a couple oz of weight.. The traktion drive is a middle ground between using a pinion and a clutch but it also protects your drive line as a slipper would as it will still give when needed, but yet has that direct drive feel some like (can be used with or with out mechanical brakes). Running outdoors on dirt tracks using a clutch also has it's positives as it helps tame the torque just a little so you can acheive the fastest possible lap times. The brake bias is nice as you can really tune the brakes so you don't have issues on any surface coming to a quick stop. Again when you're using the mech brakes, the motor isn't being used nor the ESC so temps go WAY down, motor life & bearing life goes way up and it really does pay off.

PS it is worth it and it is what it's cracked up to be We can agree to totally disagree.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 8ight-e
In a buggy, yes you can get away w/ motor braking.. but come on the weight of a standard servo? LOL The reduced stress on the motor and ESC is every bit worth a couple oz of weight.. The traktion drive is a middle ground between using a pinion and a clutch but it also protects your drive line as a slipper would as it will still give when needed, but yet has that direct drive feel some like (can be used with or with out mechanical brakes). Running outdoors on dirt tracks using a clutch also has it's positives as it helps tame the torque just a little so you can acheive the fastest possible lap times. The brake bias is nice as you can really tune the brakes so you don't have issues on any surface coming to a quick stop. Again when you're using the mech brakes, the motor isn't being used nor the ESC so temps go WAY down, motor life & bearing life goes way up and it really does pay off.

PS it is worth it and it is what it's cracked up to be We can agree to totally disagree.
+1000! I agree with cha!

if you running indoor clay track, motor brake maybe fine... hardcore outdoor true 1/8th scale tracks, servo brake all the way! I have ran in 108 degree weather and my motor didn't go over 140 nor my esc over 130... and im sure because of the mech brake...

think about it... to use motor brake, the esc shorts two of the wires to make the motor stop. those are pike current that is going through your esc and motor...
Old 09-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Tech Adept

I didn't give the Tekno kit a try but Losi's one is " working " fine and it is quite easy to install.

Told that, I am used to brake with motor. Maybe the mechanical brake will stress a bit less the spur-pinion combo but it will add the extra weight of an extra servo ( ? ) , extra wires, extra brake discs, levarage etc etc so I am really skeptical indeed adopting such a brake solution ..... and I never had an issue even after several races. It also depends on the track you usually race on, if there are very long straits with multiple and different hard brake points it is different that an average track where you simply apply a light brake force set in the esc software and also on the trigger.....
Old 09-10-2010, 10:02 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default just another opinion

With the tekno conversion you can obviously run mechanical brakes. If you dont have a tx/rx that can handle that then it may not be worth the hassle of buying a new radio system, an extra servo, and spending the extra cash for the conversion itself. IMO part of the draw of running electric is not messing with all that stuff! I have to admit though I really like having the clutch that you get with the tekno kit.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:02 PM
Tech Elite

i have a mx-3 would that work with the mech break?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I was very close to choosing a tekno conversion for my buggy, decided against it though. There was just too many little things you as the end user would have to do to make it work, like cutting down the radi plate so a body can fit, sideguards that don't cover right in front of the ESC. The electri clutch idea goes against the whole idea of electric, IMO it's made for nitro throttle jockeys. Mechanical brakes might be nice, but I prefer the K.I.S.S. approach. Another thing I don't like is the use of long shank pinions, I prefer to have the the pinion running as close to the motor as possible(Archimedes).
Old 09-10-2010, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (96%+)

i vote direct drive and losi conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.