Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Traxxas Shocks on a FT T4? >

Traxxas Shocks on a FT T4?

Traxxas Shocks on a FT T4?

Old 09-06-2010, 07:54 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default Traxxas Shocks on a FT T4?

I have a T4 that has a bad rear shock body. I came across a set of Traxxas Ultra shocks in my toolbox and they are very close to the same overall length. Bore is a bit larger and stroke a little shorter than the FT shocks but I still think they will work. Anyone done this or have any tips for oil/pistons to run until I can pick up another rear body?

Please save the, "traxxas sucks......just buy AE shocks" garbage. If I had unlimited money I would. Like many I race on a budget and can't afford them right now.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:29 PM
Tech Elite

nobody?
Old 09-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

well you made it kinda hard for us...kinda hard to recommend a good oil/piston setup when the thing pukes its guts everywhere after landing one hit.

Otherwise, I know a 4-40 bolt fits allright in the heim joints Traxxas uses. Up on top, see how the Associated shock bushing fits in the shock cap. If that doesn't work try packing a chunk of nitro fuel tubing into the mount on the shock cap and using that as a bushing. What I wouldn't do is try to thread the Traxxas shoulder bolt into the shock tower, it'd probably fall out and tear up the holes in the tower on its way, and now you need a shock body and a new tower. Once you get the shocks on, cycle the suspension and make sure the driveshafts are still fully engaged in the diff outdrives at full rebound and nothing's binding through the full range of motion.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
well you made it kinda hard for us...kinda hard to recommend a good oil/piston setup when the thing pukes its guts everywhere after landing one hit.

Otherwise, I know a 4-40 bolt fits allright in the heim joints Traxxas uses. Up on top, see how the Associated shock bushing fits in the shock cap. If that doesn't work try packing a chunk of nitro fuel tubing into the mount on the shock cap and using that as a bushing. What I wouldn't do is try to thread the Traxxas shoulder bolt into the shock tower, it'd probably fall out and tear up the holes in the tower on its way, and now you need a shock body and a new tower. Once you get the shocks on, cycle the suspension and make sure the driveshafts are still fully engaged in the diff outdrives at full rebound and nothing's binding through the full range of motion.
I've actually had remarkably great luck with the Ultra Shocks. I ran 6 months at one time in spec Slash w/o rebuilding them once.

I do appreciate the tips though and will keep that in mind when running. The shocks are actually a hair shorter than the FT shocks so the dogbones won't have an issue staying in the cups. Definitely a good idea to not screw into the shock tower. I hadn't really given that part thought but will now. I'm hopefully racing tomorrow so I'll let ya know how it goes.
Old 09-06-2010, 03:24 PM
Tech Champion

You still have one good AE shock right? Try matching it by feel to the other shocks. Both with slow and fast motions (the difference between light oil-small hole pistons and heavy oil-large hole pistons). Of course change both so at least it’s matched side to side.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

You could get a shock body on ebay for a couple bucks.....
Old 09-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by brickshouse
You could get a shock body on ebay for a couple bucks.....
Are you ever not a complete @$$ wipe? Why do you even waste your time on a forum when every post I've ever seen you make is negative and derogatory? Do yourself and everyone in this hobby a favor and go play on the freeway.
Old 09-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Dave H
You still have one good AE shock right? Try matching it by feel to the other shocks. Both with slow and fast motions (the difference between light oil-small hole pistons and heavy oil-large hole pistons). Of course change both so at least it’s matched side to side.
Also a great idea. This is a temp fix obviously but I won't be able to get another one until after my next club race which is either tomorrow or Friday so I'll do that and see how it goes. I noticed the body was bad last Friday after the first heat. I rebuilt it, ran in the 2nd heat only to have it blow after 3 laps. Then tried using B4 rears on the rear of the T4. Did NOT work out!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Shocks

You might want to use both Traxxas shocks instead of just one. I would think it would get squirley on landings if they do not match perfectly or one has more travel. I had the better line of alum. traxxas on a nitro rustler. We beat the s*@# out of them and I never had a problem.....get this...we ran on banked paved oval. We used 100 wt oil and the stiffest springs we could find. We shortened the shock travel with fuel tubing inside the shock on the shaft. Those things were fast and crazy on that oval!

Good luck
John