Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Clear vinyl body covers >

Clear vinyl body covers

Clear vinyl body covers

Old 09-05-2010, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 140 (100%+)
Default Clear vinyl body covers

Does anyone know who makes just a clear vinyl body cover for a slash body? I am getting one custom painted and wanted to make it sturdier and protected better. I know I can just get the vinyl and cut myself but just wondering if anyone makes one pre-cut.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Nobody makes a clear vinyl cover , and if its being custom painted then you will want too protect the inside because thats where the paint is .

Best way too do that is with Shoe Goo and fiberglass drywall tape , my bodies last quite along time since I started doing it .
Old 09-05-2010, 08:53 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by BashemSmashem
Nobody makes a clear vinyl cover , and if its being custom painted then you will want too protect the inside because thats where the paint is .

Best way too do that is with Shoe Goo and fiberglass drywall tape , my bodies last quite along time since I started doing it .

The reason for the outside covering was to make the body a little tougher and not crack so easily.
Old 09-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Which body do you have?

We have a few options that would help.
Old 09-05-2010, 10:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tres
Which body do you have?

We have a few options that would help.
The proline silverado and f150.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

i am very much against the use of shoegoo on a sc body!!!

it dries way too hard and makes the body unflexible. i have more damage to a proline body because of the shoegoo in the wheel well areas..

i am currently just using 3 cans of paint and duct tape on the inside of my body. bottom line is a sc body is going to eventually crack but the ducttape is helping eliminate all that wheel and body rub.

i didnt make it 2 days on the track with the shoegoo treatment..
it made the whole front so solid that it started 'taco-ing' where the hood meets the windshield
Old 09-05-2010, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkee

it dries way too hard and makes the body unflexible. i have more damage to a proline body because of the shoegoo in the wheel well areas..

i am currently just using 3 cans of paint and duct tape on the inside of my body. bottom line is a sc body is going to eventually crack but the ducttape is helping eliminate all that wheel and body rub.

it made the whole front so solid that it started 'taco-ing' where the hood meets the windshield
This is the same thing that happened to my stock Slash body. The Pro-Line Desert Rat SC body was a better stronger mold where the taco effect took place. You did use way too much Shoe-goo if it got hard. Shoe-Goo is just like silicone and is "rubbery".
Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by monkee

You used WAY too much shoe goo. Also use Drywall tape like BashemSmashem said. Bodies will be MUCH stronger AND protect the paint, it's a win-win. Kinda like taking TQ and winning the A-main in the same day. Not that I've done it, but some day soon I'm hoping to lol
Old 09-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I have the template for the Silverado.

We also have a kit made for the stock and other bodies tht prtect from the inside:
http://www.tnt-fx.com/tntb/index.php...mart&Itemid=53
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

perhaps i did use too much.
i dont know.. i just know that i wont be experimenting with it again.
Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Tres
I have the template for the Silverado.

We also have a kit made for the stock and other bodies tht prtect from the inside:
http://www.tnt-fx.com/tntb/index.php...mart&Itemid=53

Thanks for the link. I was actually looking for a full outer body wrap but in clear.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

I have one body that has 8-10 race days on it and its still in one piece and another body thats almost a year old and it has just started too crack and its on a converted RC8 that gets beaten on severely . If the Shoe Goo and tape cracked on you you did something wrong .

All you do is lay the tape down , squeeze out some Shoe Goo on the tape and then spread it around , it doesnt need to be really thick , just enough too cover the tape .
Old 09-05-2010, 11:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A vinyl wrap would not protect your body from cracks, only from light scratches...
I use some thick vinyl on my 1/8 buggy for the bottom chassis,
but I also use lighter vinyl on the side of the body to keep the sticky nitro gunk from the exhaust away... either i clean the vinyl or just toss it and put another piece in...
Old 09-06-2010, 03:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

another thing that nobody's mentioning here...A clear vinyl cover will get scratched up and look terrible once it gets ripped. if your bashing, one flip onto it's lid will take care of that on the asphalt. It just doesn't make sense, it's not going to protect the paint any better than the lexan already does. There's a reason nobody is doing them. Protect it from the inside, that's the only viable option.