Protek 4S Lipo Went Bad? >

Protek 4S Lipo Went Bad?

Protek 4S Lipo Went Bad?

Old 09-06-2010, 05:50 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)
Default Protek 4S Lipo Went Bad?

Guys,

Was practicing at my local track with my new RC8BE, its got a CC MM/2200kv 15/46. I had a brand new Protek 4S/35C 5000mah lipo in it and it was running fine. It was jumping fine with no major issues, I had no severe landings at all. Well I came of a table top and downsided it and it just rolled to a stop...dead. I thought I might have shaken a wire loose or something but nothing. I put the battery on my Protek iChecker and it doesnt even read it! When I hooked it up to my charger it read balance connector error. By all accounts this thing just died on me with not even 10 mins of use on it! I have another one of the exact same batteries that performs flawlessly. Any ideas on what I should besides call A-Main? Think they will be open today? Thanks for the help!

Jim
Old 09-06-2010, 06:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Sounds like a wire connecting the batteries inside the case came undone. Probably gonna have send it to amain.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Bus
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Chris Brown
Sounds like a wire connecting the batteries inside the case came undone. Probably gonna have send it to amain.
Ya just send it right back with receipt im sure they will make good on something not even a week old!
Old 09-06-2010, 07:22 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The problem is, in addition to negating your warranty if you tried, regular solder does NOT work on lipo tabs. So even if you tried, unless you have the right stuff you cannot fix it. Box it up and ship it back.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
The problem is, in addition to negating your warranty if you tried, regular solder does NOT work on lipo tabs. So even if you tried, unless you have the right stuff you cannot fix it. Box it up and ship it back.
Why doesnt it work for lipo tabs? It does work for everything else
Old 09-06-2010, 07:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Most lipos have copper tabs crimped onto the aluminum tabs so soldering isn't an issue. If they don't, you can use Solder-It aluminum paste and it isn't too hard to do.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=68
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by kufman
Most lipos have copper tabs crimped onto the aluminum tabs so soldering isn't an issue. If they don't, you can use Solder-It aluminum paste and it isn't too hard to do.

http://www.allerc.com/product_info.php?products_id=68
Beat me to it. I had a Losi 4S 5000 25C hard case pack, and after just a few runs the balance wires broke loose inside the case. Called Horizon, got some answers, and decided to break the case open and fix it myself. I soldered to the old solder and it stuck. I used the pack a little while longer before it went bad. I decided to break it down into two 2S packs(far lower amp draw in 10th scales). I cleaned all the solder off one of the tabs for a fresh solder job. I tried several different brands, thicknesses, with and without flux, NONE of them stuck to the aluminum tabs. Other lipos may be different, but other people in the same situation reported the same thing. Good luck man, wish I could be more help.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Send it back. A buddy of mine had 2 protek packs swell after 3 months and they replaced them no questions asked.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Fellas,

Thanks for the help, I am going to call them and send it back. Hopefully they just send me a new one without too much hassle. Good battery though, the other one I have really sends the car downrange. I had a couple of nitro guys come sniffin by afterword to see what the car was all about!
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Obvious defective lipo - not sure how these are put together wiring wise, but a power wire came undone, prob was a bad/cold/partial solder joint.

AMain will take care of it.
Old 09-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Tech Elite

You can solder aluminum tabs but you need a zinc solder and the appropriate flux made for zinc solder.

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?ap...uid=GF132BCD6B

http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/?ap...uid=GF132BCD6B
Old 09-06-2010, 10:37 AM
Tech Regular

Guys,

Talked to A-Main this morning and they are swapping it out no questions asked. They seem to be a pretty good company, their prices are across the board cheaper than Tower Hobbies and they ship UPS 3-Day select for pennies! Thanks for the help!