Wiki Posts
Search

solder

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
In short, plumbing flux can cause the copper in the board to fail unless you clean it REALLY well. This is more of a concern for electronics than motors and batteries.
Ah, okay. That makes more sense. I've never had to do any soldering on a board. Just battery connectors, motors, etc.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tromoly
IIRC plumbing flux is not the same as soldering flux, good RMA flux is awesome.
Well, what is plumbing flux used for? Soldering copper pipe to copper fittings. And what are we soldering in RC uses? Copper wire to copper terminals. The perfect application for flux meant to be used for soldering copper!

Having said that, I will admit I might not suggest Rubyflud flux to someone who was replacing the SMT components on a speed control, receiver or BEC board. But I seriously doubt that anyone paying attention to this thread is doing that kind of work. From what I've seen, most RC guys can barely solder their wires to a speed control or motor without excess gobs of solder or cold joints. (Most, not all - I claim to be one exception and I am sure there are others.)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery
In short, plumbing flux can cause the copper in the board to fail unless you clean it REALLY well. This is more of a concern for electronics than motors and batteries.
You may be confusing the effects of acid flux with paste flux. Acid flux residue can definitely cause corrosion. Not the case with most paste flux, and certainly not the case with Rubyfluid paste flux. I have been using it for a number of years, don't bother cleaning it off, and have had no corrosion.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

No confusion on my end. Google's your friend:

"Traditional rosin fluxes are available in non-activated (R), mildly activated (RMA) and activated (RA) formulations. RA and RMA fluxes contain rosin combined with an activating agent, typically an acid, which increases the wettability of metals to which it is applied by removing existing oxides. The residue resulting from the use of RA flux is corrosive and must be cleaned off the piece being soldered. RMA flux is formulated to result in a residue which is not significantly corrosive, with cleaning being preferred but optional."

"Because of the size of the parts involved, and the high activity and contaminating tendency of the flame, plumbing fluxes are typically much more chemically active, and more acidic, than electronic fluxes."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soldering
Old 09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 168 (100%+)

I guess it depends on what you are soldering and its susceptibility to corrosion. I know that when I was making slot car chassis out of piano wire I had to clean the chassis after soldering it together or it would rust. But that was steel wire. Again, I wouldn't use plumbing flux for re-soldering a SMT capacitor, but for motor and ESC wires, I've not seen any corrosion from plumbing flux in 10 years of using it on copper wires, motors, and speed controls. Maybe I need to wait longer for the corrosion to appear.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Hi all thanks for all the help learnt quite a bit as i was using silver solder and it just would not bind properly. as i thought silver solder would work on most metals.
Old 09-07-2010, 01:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
what temp should i use when soldering.
ijust bought a Duratech T1300 are they any good.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Start at about 600-650F and work your way up. Soldering is a skill that you really need to practice to get proficient. Use a tip that is roughly the same diameter as the wire you're attempting to solder. It should hold enough heat to heat the wire and solder quickly so that you don't heat soak the parts and possibly ruin them.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

i use 60/40 solder you can get wire and solder from cheapbatterypacks.com
Old 08-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tromoly
+1, Kester 63/37 gives awesome connections and IMO makes soldering super easy. Pick up some good Rosin Medium Activated flux and you're good to go for any solder job.
Agreed, that's what we use at work(& we build electronic sensor packages here, need all sorts of solder joints, from big, high-drain connections to tiny little surface-mount components no more than 1 or 2mm across). The important thing is a good iron & good technique. We don't use silver solder, unless we're using it to make a fluid-proof seal(& then we have to break out the super iron, big, bad 200-watt monster to make a good joint with it). The objects you're connecting are the important part of a good connection, not the solder you use....
Old 08-17-2011, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by N2Deep
The best way how to solder is to buy an expensive solder station like the Hakko station with the spin button temperature control. The key to good soldering is to put solder on both items you want to connect one at a time and then join them together at the end. This work well for battery connections, motor connections and plugs. Remember, heat becomes an enemy and can ruin your expensive equipment if you stay too long on the joints. With a good high-temp station, you shouldn't have to apply heat for more then 5 seconds. I also want to emphasize that smelling the fume is toxic. Some people may disagree but if it's not the natural air we breathe outside, it's toxic and you need a little fan to blow away the smoke. Last but not least, always wear safety googles. People laugh when I say that but soldering can splatter and sometimes "jump". If you care for your eyes, don't let people's laughter take your sight away from you. You need them good eyes to win races with.
Yeeaauuup,

I really like the Hakko. Gets hot super fast!
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man
I guess it depends on what you are soldering and its susceptibility to corrosion. I know that when I was making slot car chassis out of piano wire I had to clean the chassis after soldering it together or it would rust. But that was steel wire. Again, I wouldn't use plumbing flux for re-soldering a SMT capacitor, but for motor and ESC wires, I've not seen any corrosion from plumbing flux in 10 years of using it on copper wires, motors, and speed controls. Maybe I need to wait longer for the corrosion to appear.
No, but there's more to that flux than just corrosion resistance. Some of them(maybe a lot, not sure, only encountered one type at work) had a petroleum-based flux in it, & when we used it on PC boards, we end up with a film underneath some components that could actually cause minor shorts & make the board fail tests. In truth, the best flux to use for electronics is a water-solubale one(which is what we're using now), a little alcohol & water can completely clean it off, no residue(& it can be found in a marker-like flux pen, VERY handy for spot applications)....