Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2004 ROAR Gas Off-Road Nationals

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 08:01 AM
Tech Elite

Default 2004 ROAR Gas Off-Road Nationals

I'm in Las Vegas, Nevada right now, attending the 2004 ROAR Gas Nationals, being held at the Silver State R/C Club just on the border of Vegas and Henderson.

A few quick notes after Day One

Vegas is outta control..temp guns revealed the temperature to be hovering around the high 90's to low 100's all day yesterday. A big gust of wind (which hit during my second practice) destroyed the pits, knocking over tables and laying waste to EZ-Ups all over (including all of the ones Team Losi brought from home). My transmitter bag, and several pairs of goggle lenses, are no doubt being air-mailed back to Escondido right now..

The track is really good..the layout is a lot of fun, and it's really easy to race on. The dirt started to break up yesterday, but the crew actually sounded excited about the idea to keep it fairly groomed so it will hold up better going into today's practice rounds and truck qualifying tomorrow.

Super secret test runs last night with Team Losi's new King Pin tire revealed that yeah...we have another tire that works awesome here in Vegas!

The only Losi driver who qualified for the A-Main at Silver State that is not in attendance is Phillip Atondo, who couldn't get the time off from work. Mr. Drake is leading a full field of eight factory Losi drivers at this event, and trust me when I say we're all working our tails off!

Tebo was the fastest from the AE camp yesterday, although he was having fits trying Pro-Line's new truck tire, the Snake Eyes. Pavidis and Saxton looked to be on pace as well yesterday, with Kyle Skidmore showing laps of brilliance as the day wore on. Today's practice sessions are timed, so we will have a better idea of who's going fast, and who needs to pick it up.

The 1/8th scale class is wide open, with such a flowing layout, they're all punched out of their gourds..it's fun to watch!

I'll have more later tonight.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:19 AM
Tech Master

HeY!!!

Don't have too much fun... Seems like is is a great time to be out there in vegas. so who would be fast in 1/8 then, and will you be posting results nightly or just top ten???
Old 05-06-2004, 09:50 AM
Tech Regular

Aaron - Thanx for the update bro....Good luck at the race as well....C U N June.....L8

-EG
Old 05-06-2004, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Keep and eye on the man from the east coast in 1/8. Chris Crews, hes representing for us here in the east.
Old 05-06-2004, 02:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Im going to Vegas on Sunday morning on a vacation. Im gonna roll down right when I get in and check out some of the mains. Should be interesting. I was still out of racing when I made the plans or maybe I would be there to race. Doh.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:47 PM
Tech Elite

Day Two

Timed practice went off in the 2nd and 3rd rounds today. The track began to fall apart in typical Vegas fashion, but John Blythe was well aware of his task of repairing ruts and holes tonight. The weather was much better, with very little wind (no big gusts) and a temperature that was much easier to handle today. Still, sunburn is inevitable..sunscreen is futile resistance. I haven't seen a cloud in so long I've forgotten what they look like!

Having the times up for everyone to see sure made it easier to tell who is going fast. Tebo is ballistic as usual, and quite a bit faster than everyone else. A slightly lesser know AE driver, Kyle Skidmore, is running an identical setup as to what Tebo is running, and was 2nd fastest at the end of the day. Losi's Buckeye from Ohio, Jesse Robbers, put in the third fastest run of the day, followed by Atsushi Hara (driving a Losi-supported XXX-NT) and Adam Drake, who spent most of today's timed runs trying a few things to give him (and the rest of the team) an edge tomorrow. I am sitting 12th after today, securing the final spot in the A qualifier tomorrow.

1/8th scale on this track is almost out of control. Times after a five-minute qualifier are clocking in at almost a lap faster than the A-main truck drivers, with Jeremy Kortz TQ'ing the day with his Kyosho buggy. Ryan Cavalieri and Adam Drake's Trinity powered buggies are also in the main, along with the usual suspects. Taylor James' new TTR EB-4 S3 looked very stable, as well as Richard's buggy. I wasn't able to see any of Chad Bradley's runs, but I believe he is up in the mix as well. Josh Wheeler's Hyper 7 looks great, and he was driving really well today, I believe he was 4th after today's rounds.

Other notes:
- I have managed to log over a half-hour of time on one set of Team Losi's new truck tire, the King Pin (which will be included with the MF2 kit). Most of the team plans on running this tire tomorrow, and maybe even possibly for the main, as my well-used set still looks good enough to finish the last ten minutes which would be required to run the 45-minute A-Main on Sunday.

- A short conversation between the radio-impound guy and Bruce Tebo revealed the dilemma the Pro-Line boys may be in when Sunday rolls around. It is obvious to everyone that was paying attention so far this week that Jared is not a fan of the new tire, the Snake Eyes. After Silver State's main event which saw all of Pro-Line's truck drivers driving around on tire carcasses, it is unclear what may be in store for them this weekend. Look for something abnormal..maybe something like TL...
Old 05-06-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

followed by Atsushi Hara (driving a Losi-supported XXX-NT)

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! That guy can race anything!
Old 05-06-2004, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

He has been running this gas truck for a while..he was here at Silver State as well, but hasn't been all that sharp until today (too punched!)

I believe he is in the top 10 in buggy as well; his Hot Bodies car was superdialed...
Old 05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Tech Champion

Man I know who Im voting for as best driver for the Reader's Choice awards next year in RCCA
Old 05-06-2004, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

so dub what is this?

Atsushi Hara (driving a Losi-supported XXX-NT)

if i can ask?

and when will these new tires hit the hobby shops?
Old 05-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Adept

hey Aaron thanks for all the great info. That Tebo guy for AE is running a Factor Team rc10gt right if not tell me what he's got. Im a real fan of AE and Keep up the good work Thanks Again for the great info
Old 05-06-2004, 09:47 PM
Tech Elite

Team Associated - Yes, Jared Tebo (and all of the team AE drivers attending this event) are running the Factory Team GT.

trackdesigner - Hara is a really nice guy..he and his mechanic are very polite and always approachable.

dibbs - Hara is running a XXX-NT ADE and is getting sponsorship-support help from Losi (although he is not officially on the team).

The King Pins won't be sold separately until orders of the MF2 can be filled, and that truck should be out by the beginning of June if things go as currently scheduled. After kit orders have been taken care of, the tire will be sold separately packaged.

And it's way dialed. Think of a Holeshot that works better, and lasts three times as long.
Old 05-07-2004, 08:05 AM
Tech Adept

hey Aaron thanks for the info could you tell me what kinda motor he is running in his truck Thanks
Old 05-07-2004, 03:11 PM
TLRacing

Great report Aaron! Good Luck this weekend!
Old 05-07-2004, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally posted by Aaron Waldron
Day Two

A slightly lesser know AE driver, Kyle Skidmore, is running an identical setup as to what Tebo is running, and was 2nd fastest at the end of the day.

Go Kyle. I know you drive for the other guys, but your due for a good run bro.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.