Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
pick me out a truck >

pick me out a truck

pick me out a truck

Old 08-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 365 (100%+)

Find a nice used 2wd slash with a vxl brushless system, great overall truck.

While I love my hpi blitz, in stock form they are not a good truck by any means and need a decent amount of money invested to make worthwhile.

First off they take a football field to turn around (stock servo is garbage). The stock esc and motor is also junk and doesn't last. You'd need to upgrade the rear bearing carriers to 5x11's. The ones that come in it with 5x10 bearings blow out all the time. Countless outdrive/differential case issues but hpi customer service will take good care of you.

If you can find a nice blitz with aftermarket electronics, motor, etc then go for it, but otherwise it will turn into a much bigger money pit than a slash.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
lipo should be used from the start... read and learn how they operate, and respect there use and you will get years out of them....... 20$ for a hard cased lipo vs 20$ for a low capacity nihm pack that wont last u 6 months.
He wasnt asking about lipos he asking about a sc.?Lipos arent needed i run nimh in heats because they have more voltage than my 2s. Half the time if its a low main i will run nimh in my 4x4 and do way better than a lipo.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Well said above. I run nimh only and have no trouble making a-mains at every event I've been at. Sure lipo will make more power, etc, but if you can't utilize or handle the power then most of the time it will hurt you more than anything else. I've ran my fastest laps on a 6 cell nimh....

Anyways, back on topic to sc trucks.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by flat6 View Post
Well said above. I run nimh only and have no trouble making a-mains at every event I've been at. Sure lipo will make more power, etc, but if you can't utilize or handle the power then most of the time it will hurt you more than anything else. I've ran my fastest laps on a 6 cell nimh....

Anyways, back on topic to sc trucks.
No lipos dont make more power unless there 3s which in a slash lipos cut off from over heating will happen before a 10 min amain is over. Ur voltage is ur power and ur mih is ur run time the stock 7 cell is 8.4v and a venom 2s is 7.4v how do you figure its more power when the voltage on a stock battery is higher. Only thing a lipo does is they can be larger in mih and voltage but they are pointless unless you run long mains or a 1/8th scale buggy/truggy. Also as the other guy said a lipo out last nimh thats not true because my 3 lipos took a dump and my nimh all still work. I dont even run lipo no more because 2 dont even take charge for some reason and 1 cought fire because the balancer go ripped off when i was running. IMO i wont run a lipo im waiting for life packs to get larger.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

A 2s lipo is a far more powerful battery than a 7 cell nimh regardless of what their "rated" voltage is. Its obvious if you have ever used one after the other, there is a pretty big difference. It doesn't just boil down to their rated voltage, there is also the "c" rating that you have to take into consideration. A 2s 20c doesn't pack near the punch of a 30 or 40c 2s. Its also constant where as a nimh is strong the first few minutes and slowly begins to wear down.

Now don't get me wrong, I prefer nimh because I know how to use them well and what cells to buy, but they don't compare in terms of "noticeable power" to a lipo.

Sorry to once again stray off topic, but I just can't let someone misinform a noob.