R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   getting a 1/8 buggy NEED HELP (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/42744-getting-1-8-buggy-need-help.html)

GReddy 06-13-2004 07:25 PM

getting a 1/8 buggy NEED HELP

hey everyone

im getting a nitro buggy soon and im looking at a mugen MBX-5 and a kyosho KANAI 2

which do u think is better?

like which has more (hop ups, aluminum parts, easy to get replacements, durable, popular) ETC

cash budget isnt that tight though so yea...

Team Associated 06-13-2004 09:00 PM

i personally would go with a OFNA MBX or a Violater. But if you do want to get a mugen go with it because they have some kick ass buggies.

Techart27 06-13-2004 09:12 PM

Both are excellent buggies. All i can say is Mugen has excellent fit and finish and uses high quality parts, esp their plastics. There steel is a lil work tho. I never had a kyosho so i cant compare but you cant go wrong with the mugen.

Cain 06-14-2004 06:19 AM

I would say go with the one that is easiest to get parts for. If its a toss up between the two, go with the one that has the cheapest parts. It seems Kyosho parts cost more for other vehicles they have out there, the Kanaii could be the same way.

1fastdude 06-14-2004 06:28 AM

1/8 buggy

Check out the Sportwerks "Mayhem" through Horizon Hobby. Inexpensive and durable!:nod:

Brian Miskolczi 06-14-2004 06:44 AM

I just picked up a kanai 2, and you may have to put out some cash but the buggy is so strong, and the parts last a while. I raced this past weekend with it for the first time, and after a few crashes i had i thought i broke it, but i infact did not, it takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. The mugen is also a very good car, alot of guys run them, but i have yet to see one win around here. Its all due too the drivers tho ,the fast guys all run kyosho. If your goin to get into racing, i would not buy any other buggy then the two listed above, if your not going to race then there are a bunch of other buggys out there, the best way to go then would be the hyper series from ofna.

GReddy 06-14-2004 01:05 PM

thx but the mbx5 uses a starter box too rite?

and whats a good engine? (bout 200$-300$)

and wahts a good pipe

rod_b 06-14-2004 01:09 PM

Both are great buggies. I've had both and ended up sticking with the MBX-5 because it fits my driving stlye a bit better. A great engine would be the Novarossi based P5 engine. As for pipes, I run the OS 2050. It works well with P5, gets great mileage and very durable.

habenstein 06-15-2004 06:26 AM

IMO the Kyosho, overall is a better car from what ive seen at my local track but that said, the two fastest drivers at the moment here drive Mugen so ??? either way youll b happy.

A solid engine pipe combo would be the O.S VZ-B and O.S 2050 pipe. smooth, usable powerband works well.

Techart27 06-16-2004 09:32 PM

Originally posted by habenstein
IMO the Kyosho, overall is a better car from what ive seen at my local track but that said, the two fastest drivers at the moment here drive Mugen so ??? either way youll b happy.

A solid engine pipe combo would be the O.S VZ-B and O.S 2050 pipe. smooth, usable powerband works well.

Yep, the O.S VZ-B is strong and reasonably priced

hobbipro 06-17-2004 02:19 PM

I thought I read somewhere people were complaining the OS RZ-B wore out to quickly, wasnt lasting past 3 gallons due to its billet piston. I see OS has a new .21 engine comming out to replace the RZ with a steel piston. Must have some sort of truth to it.

37 RACING 06-17-2004 09:22 PM

What is the big difference between a K2 an a K3?

Scott Fisher 06-18-2004 12:16 AM

MBX-5 and any of the p-5 engines.

habenstein 06-18-2004 12:42 AM

Originally posted by hobbipro
I thought I read somewhere people were complaining the OS RZ-B wore out to quickly, wasnt lasting past 3 gallons due to its billet piston. I see OS has a new .21 engine comming out to replace the RZ with a steel piston. Must have some sort of truth to it.
Drivers at our track have not had any reliability issues with the VZ-Bs piston. Perhaps the problem has something to do with oil content in fuel? Only problems ive seen encountered is the failure of bearings, which can be replaced by ceramic bearings e.t.c

GReddy 06-23-2004 07:09 PM

will the mbx fit a pull start?