Wiki Posts
Search

Guys I need help with a Mamba Max esc/BEC problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 10:51 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Guys I need help with a Mamba Max esc/BEC problem

Guys I've been racing toy cars since 1985 and I can't figure this one out. It must be a simple fix, because I can't find it (LOL)

I am running a castle creations mamba monster max esc with a 10 amp bec.

when I turn the car to any side and hold it, the receiver shuts down, transponder goes out, front steering goes dead.

the bec is wired up with the red wire going to the red battery wire on the esc, soldered into the battery terminal. The black wire is going to the black battery wire on the esc, soldered into the battery terminal, also. The red wire on the esc has been popped out of the rx plug and heat shrinked. This is just like the instructions. I had the voltage at 5.5 and had the problem. Ran the voltage up to 6.0 and still had the problem. I am running a 2200 kv neu/castle moter and all this is tucked into a hyper 9e buggy.

Oh yeah, the last time i messed with it I turned it to the right and held it. it came on and went off over and over. looked like the servo was glitching, but rx light was blinking on and off rapidly. EPA's are turned down to 50% trying to diagnose this (they were only at 90% when I started (this is out of 120 on a futaba 3pk running spektrum rx).

UUUGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! PLEASE HELP!!!! ALL comments appreciated!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 01:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Sounds like a bad servo, or a bad wire (solder joint) somewhere in the system. I would try a different servo and see if it's still doing it. Then it's time to go through the wiring to look for the culprit.

If I read you right, the BEC is shutting down or dropping voltage enough that the RX is rebooting. 2.4G systems are sensitive to voltage and will reboot/rebind if the voltage drops too low.

Are you sure the steering is not going beyond full lock?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I had kind of the same gig happen, it was a loose solder on the board in the rx!! Try another RX if you have one.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

If you're running a digital servo and have access to an analog servo, try switching and see if the problem goes away.

From what I have seen and read, the problem with the internal BEC on CC speedo's only seems to happen with high current draw digital servo's.

I run a well used airtronics 94359 (?) analog servo in mine and have never had a glitch or cog with that setup.

If it fixes the problem, just see if you can find one of those airtronics used (I don't think you can buy them new any more) They are great servos and I have abused mine for years and it just keeps on going. Centers great, has amazing speed and torque. I can't imagine needing anything else to steer my Jammin SCRT10.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Using the spektrum micro rx. I have used two different receivers and had the exact same problems. The servo is a jr 9100T. Double checked the lock. Nope not going to full lock. The external 10 amp bec was suppossed to fix this problem. BUT when I plug in my red esc wire and disconnect the bec the problems almost go away. Still have a fliker in the transponder but that is it. Time to go tear out the bec and see what is going on in there!!!!!!!!!

Again I state UGHHHHHHH!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I had a MMP that shorted out. The reason was the rx lead shrouding pulling away to far inside the esc and the wires shorted out. Apparently the wires are not fastened to the case or the board very well, so you may be losing a connection inside the esc where the wires for the rx connect. Just a thought.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Tech Regular

I've had a Castle BEC go out (When I was running 5s, fried my servo and transponder!)

Take a multi meter and see what voltage you are getting out of the BEC first. Then move the BEC around and see if you lose voltage. If it's good, then move the truck around and see if the ESC is the problem.

I also ran a 9100T and I had to bump the BEC voltage up to 6.5 volts to keep up.
Old 08-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Again, that is a digital servo. Just try an analog one if you have one or can borrow one. If everything works fine then it is the weak BEC. That ESC can bump up the voltage for the BEC by the way. I think even with my analog servo I have mine set to 7 volts (I think, it's been a while since I messed with any of the settings) but I haven't had a bit of a glitch.
Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM
Tech Adept

u r da man chiro. I switched to an airtronics 420 oz servo and problems gone. cannot duplicate it. 9100 t in my scrt 10 now doing same with a mamba max pro and novak hv 5.5 on 2s. Gonna slap a hitec in tomorrow and fix that. Now I have five 9100t's doing nothing, better buy more stuff to put them in.