R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Question for 2WD Buggy racers? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/425977-question-2wd-buggy-racers.html)

diamonddawg21 08-15-2010 01:28 PM

Question for 2WD Buggy racers?

Got a question for anyone that has raced 1/8 Gas buggy as well as 2WD electric buggy. I raced 1/8 Buggy for several years and got out about 4-5 years ago. The 1/8 scale scene was on the decline when I left and seems to be even worse today. I did the heli thing and lost interest about 6 months ago. I have noticed that the 2WD racing is always steady with racers and thought this might be a class I might enjoy. Have anyone raced 1/8 scale and found that 2WD elec stock buggy to be as enjoyable as Nitro 1/8?

mugenlife 08-15-2010 03:11 PM

electric is easier to do all around. Electric 1/8th scale seems to be taking over as well as 4x4 sc trucks.

MCSEDanny 08-15-2010 03:22 PM

Its been awhile since I have run gas 1/8 but if I recall correctly the general answer for everything was give it gas and traction was never an issue. So it was fun without dealing with setup. 1/10 buggy does require setup and once setup you still have aspects that you dial in while giving up other aspects so it requires you to learn how to drive. Giving it throttle is not going to get you out of a situation and letting off throttle in 1/10 buggy can make things worse so if you want to become a better driver and learn to setup a car go for it.

diamonddawg21 08-15-2010 03:30 PM

Question for 2WD Buggy racers?

Thanks everyone this helps a little bit, I love to jack around with setup as well as tinker. The 1/8 gas offered that as well and I have to wonder if the 1/10 2WD is a fun class to run as the 1/8 used to be for me in the past?

I also drove my 1/8 scale, I lot of local guy's just grabbed a fist full of throttle but never won any races...I made up my time in the twisties.

7.5man 08-15-2010 05:17 PM

Just sayin....where I race 2WD Mod buggy, it is a gentleman's class of racing....none of this crap of using another car for a burm in the corners!

just sayin....

:)

CJ Weaver 08-15-2010 05:25 PM

I race both Nitro Buggy and Truggy as well as E-Scale and 2wd. 1/8 is much better on the outdoor tracks but once we go indoor, 2wd is my favorite class by far. I'm not very good at it, but its fun :nod:

Z00M 08-15-2010 05:31 PM

I made the switch last year from 1/8th buggy to 2wd mod electric and I have found it to be a challenge as well as being fun. If you want a 2wd buggy to drive and respond to the throttle like a 1/8th buggy then that isn't going to happen. 2wd mod is all about setup and more importantly, throttle control.

Brandon A 08-15-2010 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by diamonddawg21 (Post 7809340)

I also drove my 1/8 scale, I lot of local guy's just grabbed a fist full of throttle but never won any races...I made up my time in the twisties.

A 2wd buggy is a precision vehicle; if your driving style requires throwing the back end around, you may not be very happy with a 2wd buggy. From the context of the above quote, however, I'm going to guess precision is more your style (?). If you liked your 1/8 set up to keep all four tires planted through the corners rather than having it set up so you could slide through the corners and then rip it coming out, your driving is probably suited pretty well for 2wd buggy. If you prefer the slide and rip approach it would probably be easier to get into mod 4wd instead, assuming you are looking primarily at 1/10th electric. I run mod 2wd buggy, mod 4wd buggy, and 1/8 nitro buggy and have a blast running each; each is fun in its own respect.

ifuonlyknew 08-15-2010 06:26 PM

1/8 scale nitro = Professional Wrestling

1/10 scale electric 2wd Buggy = Brain Surgery

henry 08-15-2010 07:37 PM

I'll chime in. I started out in 2wd buggy. Stock-class to be exact. I wasn't terrible in that class but not great either. The one thing racing in 2wd buggy taught me was throttle control and how to read track conditions. I did most of my racing on outdoor tracks where you just can't put the buggy wherever you want because the track gets beat up more and 2wd buggies tend to be a little more "twitchy" than other types of off-road R/C. So, 2wd buggy really stressed being able to read the track and setup the buggy more.

The nice thing was that those skills translate to other classes as well.

Plus from my experience, if you can keep the buggy off the pipes and off other buggies it can actually be slightly more cost effective than running SCT or stadium truck as the tires are cheaper and since the bodies hug the chassis you can get a couple of season's out of one (from my experience anyway).

Robio 08-15-2010 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by ifuonlyknew (Post 7810020)
1/8 scale nitro = Professional Wrestling

1/10 scale electric 2wd Buggy = Brain Surgery

Classic analogy!!! Been running 2wd buggy recently and this could'nt be truer. Lotsa a fun but you can,t "hamfist". 2wd buggy will make you a better driver.

Don't know about comparing the two, but if you have a good class where you race, you will have much fun. My buddies and I have a blast.

Rob............

diamonddawg21 08-16-2010 07:30 AM

thx,

Thx to everyone that replied, this helps me out quite a bit.

UltegraSTI 08-16-2010 07:33 AM

man i love threads like this. god save the queen (2wd buggy)!!!

its the best class and every place should have it. its easy but then its tough. thats why u see many old codgers out there runnin it b/c if it were easy, then no1 would do 1/8N buggy.

R

PS-u'll be surprised to see something called 'etiquette' when runnin 2wd.

claymonkey 08-16-2010 07:55 AM

Dido on the better manners in 2wd racing. If you can go fast with 2wd buggy, you go fast with just about anything. I am getting back in 2wd buggy myself this year, and am excited to do so.

disjaukifa 08-17-2010 07:25 AM

I was looking for about 2 weeks which class of racing I wanted to start getting into, did a ton of reading and pretty much everything I read said the same thing:

"If you can drive a 2wd buggy fast, you can drive anything fast"

I really wanted to go with a 4wd buggy because of "easy" they are to handle, but I also realized that I wanted to improve my driving and control, not just do something that was easy! Also I know if I get good a 2wd buggies, when I go to 4wd buggies, I will perform much better than just going start to 4wd buggies.

-Disjaukifa