Wiki Posts
Search

Storing LiPo batteries?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Default Storing LiPo batteries?

So Im not going to be using my batteries for a couple weeks and wanted to store them.

I was told to discharge them to 3.7v, but how do you do this?

Im using a triton 2 eq and on lipo discharge it seems to only discharge them to 3.0v per cell...

Does anyone know how to set it up?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:28 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Run the pack down in your car and balance charge to 7.4 volts
Old 08-15-2010, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Briguy
Run the pack down in your car and balance charge to 7.4 volts
If you need to store them over the winter will this also work or do you need to balance charge again every few months or weeks?
Old 08-15-2010, 08:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

You're right, you can't set the discharge voltage on your charger, its 3v/cell when you're discharging and there is no storage mode. You can store lipo at voltage between 3.7 and 3.9v/cell, there is nothing 'magic' about 3.7v/cell.

You have a couple of ways to get there, run them and stop and check every so often to see what the voltage is and when its between 7.4 -7.8v, stop and put it away. This is prob going to take some time.

Run the lip normally and charge it only up to the storage value. If you go this way, use a low charge rate, you want your storage voltage to be a resting voltage and at high vcharge rate, once you stop, there will be some voltage change as it transitions to a resting voltage. This is prob a more time effective way to get your lipo ready for storage.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

right now im discharging them using the 3.0v setting, but im watching the voltage and will pull them while its around 3.7-3.9v per cell.

then i will put them on charge at a low rate and check the voltage of each cell. How does that sound?
Old 08-15-2010, 10:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Thats should work, I wouldn't take them as low as 3v/cell though, 3.2 - 3.4v/cell is as low as I'd let one get. 3.0v/cell is starting to be recognized as too low and not good for a lipo.

I'm guessing you don't have a digitial voltmeter or multimeter? You really should get one. You could use that to check voltage instead of having to hook them up on charger. Use a low rate like 0.1a so if the voltage is already good for storage, you don't mess it up.
Old 08-15-2010, 11:31 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have a store mode on my charger. I just do that and then put them in a Lipo safe bag and forget about it until the next time I use them. Re- charge and ready to race......