Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
who better? losi xxx buggy or b4? >

who better? losi xxx buggy or b4?

who better? losi xxx buggy or b4?

Reply

Old 08-14-2010, 07:19 PM
  #16  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Niles, MI
Posts: 721
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Cars do not win races , drivers do ! Everyone with this brand is faster and this brand wins , B.S. , it is the drivers not the cars .
Yes and no. I drove AE Xfactory and Tq racing. The X factory wasn't the best for my driving style, went back to AE truck was really good held it's ground

Then I went to the SX10T I was turning faster lap times all over on all tracks. Also Tq team driver Kenny drove the AE B4 last year. He was pretty good, now that he runs the SX10 2 wheel he's freaking fast!

So when you say cars don't make you fast it's bull sh t. Now if you give cav tebo mayfeild any car they will kill with it.
x60Driver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 07:22 PM
  #17  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (125)
 
Briguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by x60Driver View Post
Yes and no. I drove AE Xfactory and Tq racing. The X factory wasn't the best for my driving style, went back to AE truck was really good held it's ground

Then I went to the SX10T I was turning faster lap times all over on all tracks. Also Tq team driver Kenny drove the AE B4 last year. He was pretty good, now that he runs the SX10 2 wheel he's freaking fast!

So when you say cars don't make you fast it's bull sh t. Now if you give cav tebo mayfeild any car they will kill with it.
Different cars fit different driving styles , neither will make you an A main winner without a great driver .

On a side note , From what a TQ team driver at my track said they drive like a Losi with the rear planted and like an AE with the front steering .
Briguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:30 AM
  #18  
pdx
Tech Apprentice
 
pdx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: portland oregon
Posts: 76
Default

is there a video or a news link that has head to head competition between the team associated buggy and the others? i looked in youtube but couldn't seem to find what i was looking for.

it would be cool to see stock cars right out of the box raced against eachother with equally skilled drivers. or maybe all the different rides reviewed by the same person.

-pdx
pdx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:56 AM
  #19  
Tech Master
iTrader: (21)
 
mdowney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,562
Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Default Focus on the company, not the product

One thing to consider are the companies behind these products. Losi was purchased by Horizon Hobby a while back - which is a huge hobby conglomerate - and ever since then they've become more like Traxxas, focusing on the more lucrative low-cost back yard RC customer instead of racers. I can't fault them - they are a business and businesses need to make money. In a situation like theirs, though, I believe it is smartest to focus most of your business on the enthusiast while making a few great, high-end racer products that raise the overall perception of the quality of _all_ of your products. But you cant come off like you don't care about those high end racers. it seems that Losi has largely ignored it's high-end racing customers over the last few years, with a few small exceptions like the 8ight.

Associated on the other hand is ALL about racing. They have dabbled in the popular micro/mini category lately but even those kits are race-worthy. Associated is regularly releasing new, high quality kits and keeps things fresh in between major releases by releasing "Factory Team" premium kits. That alone is genius business if you ask me. I've found it so odd that Losi doesn't seem to offer many hop-up parts for their racing kits. Hop-ups are so high margin that it seems silly not to offer them.

If you look at it this way - instead of XXX vs B4 - I think it's a lot easier to make the decision.
mdowney is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:23 AM
  #20  
Tech Adept
 
L@gger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Slovakia
Posts: 163
Default

Now I have Losi XXX-cr and if I compare it to B4s I think losi is winner for me because of durability and its driving style. Anyway both cars arent high-end.
If you really want Asso maybe you should wait and buy Asso B4.1. I mean it has solved many failures in shocks and so.
L@gger is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:24 AM
  #21  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (125)
 
Briguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Ottawa , IL
Posts: 8,128
Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by pdx View Post
is there a video or a news link that has head to head competition between the team associated buggy and the others? i looked in youtube but couldn't seem to find what i was looking for.

it would be cool to see stock cars right out of the box raced against eachother with equally skilled drivers. or maybe all the different rides reviewed by the same person.

-pdx
There have been head to head competitions in a few R/C mags over the years between AE and Losi .

mdowney , how can you say Losi has ignored the racing customers ? The LCC , XXXCR , XXX-T CR , 8ight 2.0 nitro and electric 1/8 . The only thing they have really ignored is the XXX-4 . Other then that they all are just as competitive and winning rigs in the right hands .

AE is regularly releasing new race kits ? The B4/T4 are only a few months newer then the Losi CRs . With exception to the B4/T4.1s they recently released . Which would fall right into about the same time line as before since the new 1/10 lineup is supposed to start coming out this fall .

Last edited by Briguy; 08-15-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Briguy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 06:48 AM
  #22  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (7)
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Newville,Pa
Posts: 2,152
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Apples...... no maybe oranges......wait a minute it's definately apples.......but it could be oranges...... I can't decide....


actually I prefer my Ateam cars, but I have had the losi buggy and it's a wonderful kit also.....
IMPACTPLAYR is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 11:39 AM
  #23  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Olathe, KS
Posts: 449
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I have had every Losi 2wd kit since the release of the JRX-2 and have always been a Losi loyalist. I personally boycotted Losi last year because the quality of the kits have been lousy. Shock shafts are silver after one run!!!! The first two XXX-CR kits were missing bearings, wrong hinge pins on the front carriers, top shaft with a gear that wasn't fully machined, and both cars had a BK2 diff spring. I switched to Kyosho and had good luck with the truck but failed to be in the top 5 at CRCRC on a weekly basis with the buggy. Now I run A Cars and feel preety good about them. Parts are the cheapest, and every hobby shop stocks parts for the B4/T4. I think I still prefer the XXX driving style but the Associated car is what I'm gonna stick to for the foreseeable future.
bshack is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 PM
  #24  
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Rochester Hills Michigan
Posts: 7,232
Default

Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
One thing to consider are the companies behind these products. Losi was purchased by Horizon Hobby a while back - which is a huge hobby conglomerate - and ever since then they've become more like Traxxas, focusing on the more lucrative low-cost back yard RC customer instead of racers. I can't fault them - they are a business and businesses need to make money. In a situation like theirs, though, I believe it is smartest to focus most of your business on the enthusiast while making a few great, high-end racer products that raise the overall perception of the quality of _all_ of your products. But you cant come off like you don't care about those high end racers. it seems that Losi has largely ignored it's high-end racing customers over the last few years, with a few small exceptions like the 8ight.

Associated on the other hand is ALL about racing. They have dabbled in the popular micro/mini category lately but even those kits are race-worthy. Associated is regularly releasing new, high quality kits and keeps things fresh in between major releases by releasing "Factory Team" premium kits. That alone is genius business if you ask me. I've found it so odd that Losi doesn't seem to offer many hop-up parts for their racing kits. Hop-ups are so high margin that it seems silly not to offer them.

If you look at it this way - instead of XXX vs B4 - I think it's a lot easier to make the decision.
Historically Losi has focused on building a car that doesn’t need much in the way of upgrades. That was a big factor in their early success, the RC10s of the day had MIP trannies, Andy’s arms, take your pick of several steering systems if I remember correctly, etc to be truly competitive. Fun from a hobby perspective perhaps, but tough for a newbie racer. Losi made their mark in many ways by pretty much giving you what you need right out of the box.

Either way, plenty of room in the sandbox for all I figure, just pick something and come out and race!

Regards, Dave
Dave H is offline  
Reply With Quote

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service