Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Has the Baja 5T Met It's Match? >

Has the Baja 5T Met It's Match?

Has the Baja 5T Met It's Match?

Old 08-14-2010, 05:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default Has the Baja 5T Met It's Match?

With 4wd I bet this thing would run circles around the HPI Baja 5T. Though it seems a bit nose heavy off of jumps since it doesn't have enough torque to lift up the front end off of jumps with corrections, but then again, does the HPI? I'd think since the Cen is 4wd, it'd handle much better around the turns.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Painted-Body

I'd love to see an Electric conversion to this!
Old 08-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 150 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottKelly911 View Post
With 4wd I bet this thing would run circles around the HPI Baja 5T. Though it seems a bit nose heavy off of jumps since it doesn't have enough torque to lift up the front end off of jumps with corrections, but then again, does the HPI? I'd think since the Cen is 4wd, it'd handle much better around the turns.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...w-Painted-Body

I'd love to see an Electric conversion to this!
Why go electric when you can go 30minutes on one tank. For now there aren't enough 4wd 1/5 scales to make it popular in racing, but when there are, forget 2wd.
Old 08-14-2010, 09:22 AM
Tech Rookie

I agree, pretty cool!
Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by slow supra View Post
Why go electric when you can go 30minutes on one tank. For now there aren't enough 4wd 1/5 scales to make it popular in racing, but when there are, forget 2wd.
Because with the heavy weight of a 1/5 scale, large lipos and large brushless power will give them the extra torque that they desperately need
Old 08-14-2010, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HugYourRC View Post
I agree, pretty cool!
Old 08-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If you want an all around great 4wd 1/5 scale by far the MCD Baja 1000
is the way to go. Even a FG would in my opinion be a better choice the CEN.
Old 08-14-2010, 05:55 PM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

that is a nice looking car. i see what you mean about being front heavy. perhaps with a little practice on that particular car you can time the jumps to keep the front end up. just a guess. i bet that thing would just be a blast at the sand dunes or a large dirt construction site.

-pdx
Old 08-14-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 310 (100%+)

Have any of you people ever driven or owned a 5T?

I like my electrics, brushless etc, but the 2 stroke 5T is just a completely different league.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by nexxus View Post
Have any of you people ever driven or owned a 5T?

I like my electrics, brushless etc, but the 2 stroke 5T is just a completely different league.
They are totally different vehicles then any other RC.

Even more so the HPI 5B/5T, in quality, perfomance, durabilty, agility. As the reason I own 2 of the HPI Baja's. My MCD is the perfect all around have fun in anything RC. It has all kind's of power w/ the Oddifed 26cc and ecu, but my Hpi Baja is a all around Monster, not the Trevor Sinpson Reed Case fron O'Neil Bros but, the piston port 27.2 Trevor Simpson race ported and built from O'Neil Bros has already won me a few trophies.

In my opinion they are not even in the class, I would consider owning a CEN
but, never even think of comparing them,

You don't compare a Revo to a Slash .....

Forgot that most want know but, MCD Baja is 4wd!
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

I can't believe the OP is trying to compare a CEN with a 5T. It's obvious he's never owned a Baja, let alone a 5th scale. And why is this even in the Electric Off Road section? Do you even know what's needed to power an electric 5th scale vehicle?

This is about as bad as people trying to convince themselves that the TCS conversion for the Flux really makes it a 5th scale.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I saw a 5b converted to electric at the Castle booth at rcx earlier this year. motor was huge

trevor simpson still ports engines? haha havent heard of him since i got out of goped racing. and oneill brothers haha too
Old 08-14-2010, 07:18 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by CaseyDDR View Post
I can't believe the OP is trying to compare a CEN with a 5T. It's obvious he's never owned a Baja, let alone a 5th scale. And why is this even in the Electric Off Road section? Do you even know what's needed to power an electric 5th scale vehicle?

This is about as bad as people trying to convince themselves that the TCS conversion for the Flux really makes it a 5th scale.
I'm the OP and you're right, I've never owned any 5th scale cars. I did get a chance to drive a Baja 5T and have to say it was seriously one of the most fun times I've ever had behind the wheel of an RC car. I'm not versed on 1/5th scale vehicles admittedly, however I was making more of a comparison to handling than quality since I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated statement about that, notice durability statements were missing from my original post. Kinda like if you compare a Slash 2wd to a SC10 2wd obviously the SC10 in equal hands will destroy the Slash, now put that same driver in a Slash 4x4 and more often than not, the Slash 4x4 will destroy the SC10. Sure there's better 4x4 SC trucks out there than the Slash 4x4, but compared to the 2wd versions of the best, it will still out handle it considerably given equal driving skills.

Now, what's this thread doing in the Electric section...Well if you read my entire post and read my very last sentence, you wouldn't need to ask that question now would you I'm not a nitro/gas guy. I had a nitro car many years ago (Kyosho Stinger I believe it was called) and just didn't like it, I know they've come a long way since then, but I personally prefer electric. I think the 1/5th scale segment of the hobby will grow in the near future, due in part to better electric power plants that are now available which will make 1/5th scale an attractive market to people like myself who've never considered them before due to being gas powered. Just my $.02 You don't have to agree, but you'd be wrong lol I'm totally joking, but yeah, that's what I see with my admittedly limited knowledge of 1/5th scale.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (96%+)

I'm the OP and you're right, I've never owned any 5th scale cars. I did get a chance to drive a Baja 5T and have to say it was seriously one of the most fun times I've ever had behind the wheel of an RC car. I'm not versed on 1/5th scale vehicles admittedly, however I was making more of a comparison to handling than quality since I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated statement about that, notice durability statements were missing from my original post. Kinda like if you compare a Slash 2wd to a SC10 2wd obviously the SC10 in equal hands will destroy the Slash, now put that same driver in a Slash 4x4 and more often than not, the Slash 4x4 will destroy the SC10. Sure there's better 4x4 SC trucks out there than the Slash 4x4, but compared to the 2wd versions of the best, it will still out handle it considerably given equal driving skills.

Now, what's this thread doing in the Electric section...Well if you read my entire post and read my very last sentence, you wouldn't need to ask that question now would you I'm not a nitro/gas guy. I had a nitro car many years ago (Kyosho Stinger I believe it was called) and just didn't like it, I know they've come a long way since then, but I personally prefer electric. I think the 1/5th scale segment of the hobby will grow in the near future, due in part to better electric power plants that are now available which will make 1/5th scale an attractive market to people like myself who've never considered them before due to being gas powered. Just my $.02 You don't have to agree, but you'd be wrong lol I'm totally joking, but yeah, that's what I see with my admittedly limited knowledge of 1/5th scale.
Going electric in a 5th scale, 25lb vehicle is a completely different than doing so in 1/12, 1/10, or 1/8. COMPLETELY Different. Also, it may be your cup of tea, as it is mine (obviously) but the cost is no where near reasonable currently to even think about unless you want to blow thousands of dollars on the electronics alone. You don't just drop a 2200kv Nue or Tekin in it.

Now, as for not being a Nitro guy, understandable yet again, but Gas is no where NEAR Nitro. Not even close. A gas engine requires virtually no tuning, it's a true set and forget... kinda like your lawn mower or weed wacker.
Old 08-14-2010, 07:44 PM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

Not even close. A gas engine requires virtually no tuning, it's a true set and forget... kinda like your lawn mower or weed wacker.
i own a lawn mower and a weed wacker. and i have to admit neither are as bad a$$ as that car.

-pdx
Old 08-14-2010, 10:46 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by z50king View Post
I saw a 5b converted to electric at the Castle booth at rcx earlier this year. motor was huge

trevor simpson still ports engines? haha havent heard of him since i got out of goped racing. and oneill brothers haha too
Trevor Simpson has done a few in the past but now he is the only Reed Case or Head kit/ full motor that you can get. No one else make a full Reed case motor for a HPI 5B. Oneil Brothers Racing will then port the motor.
Trevor Simpson has been known to do few mod' but rarely build some one else's motor. The 1/5 racing is way more competitive them most people think. And the cost is not for the faint of heart.
Oneil Bro's is a very dominant force in 1/5 but if you want a Beast. Then it's "Oddified "from Europe or "TMR" from New Jersey. I have had a few different motor's even DarkSoul's marine head motor which is a great motor.
Just not alway's enough.

Anyway's their is just no comparison in a CEN to 5T, and I am not even going to get into electric 1/5, they are a waste. I have never seen a electric one outrun a highend HPI, MCD, FG, Hurrax, not even close.