Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spx8 bec wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Default spx8 bec wiring question

The spx8 requires running 7.4 to a switch for the bec. How can I wire it to be ready for both of my battery setups? I have 3 single pack 4cells and 3 sets of 2 pairs of 2 cells. I'm a average at best at wiring and electrical. Any one got any pics of their setups that might be similar to my sit. Thanks.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:51 PM
Tech Initiate

The easiest way that i can think of would be to use the adapter that comes with the esc which taps into the 4s balancing plug. 4s packs solved... here is where you need to get a little creative. Get a 4s balancing port male connector and solder the one wire needed (same pin/wire used on your 4s packs) to the jumper used to connect your 2s packs. This way your jumper will have the same male plug as your 4s packs and the esc will use only the one female plug. Let me know if you dont get this and ill try to break it down a bit more.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Tech Adept

Three questions:

1) Any idea why LRP decided add a step of inconnvenience to use their Electric 8th Scale speedo? What benefit is there if any?

2) So soldering the BEC's input wire directly to the jumper of two 2S packs is the best option for a 4S battery configuration wired in Series?

3) What will happen if you plug the packs and turn-on the ESC's switch if the BEC's input wire is not connected to the jumper? Will any damage occur or will the ESC just not funtion?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions thoroughly. If possible, a pic of an actual set-up would be very helpful as well.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:26 AM
Tech Initiate

1) Im not quite sure their exact theory behind the BEC setup they went with but using a 7.4v source no matter how many cells you are running is a lot easier on the BEC (less heat) than 11.1+. Before the SPX8 came out i ran sphere comps on 4s with novak BECs and the bec put off a lot of heat. I would assume running 7.4v would be more efficient as well. The size of the spx8 would most likely be much bigger if it had an internal bec that could handle 3s and 4s+. Hence the Tekin and Mamba Monster being twice the size.

2)yes, and it is your only option with a (2)2s pack configuration.

3)Nothing will happen. The esc will not turn on if there is no power to the BEC.

I will try to shoot a few picture of my setup and post them on here.