Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Need advice for a Tamiya off-road buggy (Looking to get one possibly) >

Need advice for a Tamiya off-road buggy (Looking to get one possibly)

Need advice for a Tamiya off-road buggy (Looking to get one possibly)

Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Red face Need advice for a Tamiya off-road buggy (Looking to get one possibly)

Hey Guys,

I'm looking at getting a Tamiya 4x4 Buggy. I'm new to the forums, but certainly not to the hobby, been doing it on and off since 1999. I don't race, though I have started to consider it.

Mostly it something that my wife and I enjoy with our 20 month old son and soon to be daughter (due VERY soon). My wife's vehicle is a Tamiya Dual Hunter with Grave Digger Body (She loves grave digger) with a Futaba 3GR-FS (Stick) 2.4ghz controller. My wife being left handed, she doesn't like the Pistol controllers and she likes the stick format better.

My vehicle at the moment is the Tamiya Clodbuster with Futaba 3PM 2.4Ghz controller. I LOVE this truck, with NIMH batteries, I get about 30 minutes of run time easily. *SIDE QUESTION* What would be the easiest way to make the diffs locking so I could use it better in snow?

ANYWAY, I'm waiting a 4x4 buggy from Tamiya, because as much as I love my Clodbuster, and I DO love it, I want something that is faster than it! I'm not really interested in upgrading the Clod because well . . . I don't want to break it, I like how balanced my Clod is now, and I want to keep it that way.

I been doing some research and I've noticed there are really two drive systems available from Tamiya, shaft and belt driven.

Could someone give me a recommendation for a good Tamiya 4x4 Buggy kit that would be good for yard bashing? Preferably something will both a ton of hopups and a ton of spare parts that are easily available?

Any advice would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

If I were you, I'd consider a Tamiya DF03 buggy.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Tech Regular

A DB01 wouldn't be a bad idea either, its a more entry level four wheeler based on their TRF501X race buggy so if you ever wanted to get into racing there are plenty of hop ups available for it.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avink007 View Post
A DB01 wouldn't be a bad idea either, its a more entry level four wheeler based on their TRF501X race buggy so if you ever wanted to get into racing there are plenty of hop ups available for it.
As nice as they are. They are more a budget racer option then a basher option IMO. I used to have one and unless you like maintainence, then you won't enjoy it. I was always having to fiddle with the diffs/belts.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I was considering a DF03 as well, but a guy at my local track said their chassis break pretty easy, so you may want to take that into consideration.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:48 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by RatsacK View Post
As nice as they are. They are more a budget racer option then a basher option IMO. I used to have one and unless you like maintainence, then you won't enjoy it. I was always having to fiddle with the diffs/belts.
But thats almost something I'm looking for, I'd like to get a Tamiya buggy that I have the possibility of taking to track and doing some racing, probably not serious, but thinking about trying to get into it.

I read some reviews on the DF03 seems to be front heavy which results in the buggy nose diving. It seems the DB01 doesn't seem to have that issue. Does anyone have any experience or advice about this?

I appreciate all the advice!!!!

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-13-2010, 09:45 AM
Tech Apprentice

I have a df03 and love it, after a few upgrades it's rock solid, I've heard people say the upper gearboxes break so I bought a couple of spares, but never needed them, no issues with it nose diving either, it's a 4wd so you have a fair bit of air control.

run on mine on lipo though maybe that helps with the weight.

Never broke a chassis either, worst thing about the buggy is none of my hardcase lipo's fit in it,

If I had the choice again I'd get a Durga or DB-01R, because they have more hop-ups,are made of better plastic and better parts support
Old 08-13-2010, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

I would say go for the Durga. It is a similar layout to the 501/511(belt wise), uses stick packs, the drivetrain is enclosed and it can easily be upgraded. just my .02
Old 08-13-2010, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I have the DF03MS with the rare 3racing carbon fiber chassis installed. I just got the chassis a couple weeks ago so no track time yet, but the car ran really well with the mamba 5700KV prior to the CF chassis. There are round case lipos available to fit in these now. Oh, T-bone racing makes new skid plate bumpers for the front and rear and reinforce the lower front gearbox and supposed to keep it from cracking. I can't wait to try out this setup at the local track this weekend.
Old 08-14-2010, 02:02 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by greenpea76 View Post
I have the DF03MS with the rare 3racing carbon fiber chassis installed. I just got the chassis a couple weeks ago so no track time yet, but the car ran really well with the mamba 5700KV prior to the CF chassis. There are round case lipos available to fit in these now. Oh, T-bone racing makes new skid plate bumpers for the front and rear and reinforce the lower front gearbox and supposed to keep it from cracking. I can't wait to try out this setup at the local track this weekend.
Hey Guys,

I'm leaning toward the belt system, mostly because I have never done a belt system and I'm curious to see how it would work. So I'm leaning at the moment to the DB01.

However I'm also looking at the DF02 Plasma Edge, I know this is an older chassis and not really race setup . . . at all, however its cheap, and I'm not sure how much I'm going to enjoy the 4x4 buggies.

Which is easier to race 4wd buggies or 2wd buggies? Which is more popular to race?

Thanks
Disjaukifa
Old 08-14-2010, 07:54 PM
pdx
Tech Apprentice

i love the picture of the buggy. i own a slash 4x4 electric but am really liking the body style of a buggy. i plan on buying a buggy real soon. i was leaning towards a team associated rc10 b4.1....but now seeing that photo i just don't know...

i may have to break down and buy both.

-pdx
Old 08-15-2010, 12:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by disjaukifa View Post
*SIDE QUESTION* What would be the easiest way to make the diffs locking so I could use it better in snow?
Use a hot glue gun to lock up your diff. I've had about 4-5 differerent Clods and I always used this method. The best part is that you can go back to free diffs if you want, just pick out the glue. You'll be floating over the snow with no worries now. And yes, I am Canadian!