Wiki Posts
Search

Speaker wire ok to use for ESC to Motor

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Speaker wire ok to use for ESC to Motor

Going to solder my tekin rs to my novak 17.5 ballistic tonight.
I was originally going to go with 12 gauge wire, but after trying to mess with it last night I decided that my soldering skills are not good enough for that big of a wire.
I have some 14 awg speaker wire. I realize its not silicon insulated but its still high strand and flexible. Surely this setup isn't going to get hot enough to melt the cable or anything on 2S Lipo?

No LHS or I would just run get some of the proper cable. Just wanting to race this weekend.

Thanks for the input
Old 08-11-2010, 04:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

i would go to you track where you are going to race and ask if someone will help you. im sure someone will
Old 08-11-2010, 06:21 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Although speaker wire may be multi strand, it just will not handle the power needed. Go to your local hobby shop or track and pick some up. Your components will thank you later
Old 08-11-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I think he wrote there is no LHS around. I would suggest against speaker wire as well though. If you have any batteries you're not using rip the wires off there and be frugal!
Old 08-11-2010, 07:15 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

The problem with speaker wire is not the copper. Provided you are using high quality speaker wire with a high strand count and sufficient gauge, it will handle the current. The real problem is the insulation on the speaker wire. The PVC insulation on speaker wire melts rather easily, especially when soldering heavy gauge wire.

The reason we use the silicone insulated wire in RC cars is for it's ability to withstand heat.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

I wouldn't use the speaker wire. I've heard that motor whines and complains all day long.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:47 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

He said he has 12ga wire, but he couldn't solder it correctly. Like z50king said, he needs to just show up to the track early, and have someone help him solder the 12ga wire he has.

logie_bear

When your at the track, pay close attention to whoever ends up helping you solder. Ask some questions and try to learn. The key to good soldering is good prep. Take a look at this soldering guide from Novak. Follow it and you will be soldering like a pro in no time. Another thing you can do is get some wire scraps and practice soldering, this will help you learn what works and what doesn't without the risk of destroying something expensive.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Tech Elite

Some of you guys are out of your mind. I assure you that the rc companies are getting their power wire from the exact same place that Monster Cable and Streetwires and others get theirs. Stranded wire is stranded wire as long as it is reputable and the strand count is the same. Car stereo is the reason why you guys have ultra flexible wire from Tekin, TQ, etc.....

BUT, if you use cheap stuff like lamp cord, etc... from Home Depot or Ebay, that is a different story.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I will agree to disagree with you Mike.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:42 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Some of you guys are out of your mind. I assure you that the rc companies are getting their power wire from the exact same place that Monster Cable and Streetwires and others get theirs. Stranded wire is stranded wire as long as it is reputable and the strand count is the same. Car stereo is the reason why you guys have ultra flexible wire from Tekin, TQ, etc.....

BUT, if you use cheap stuff like lamp cord, etc... from Home Depot or Ebay, that is a different story.
correct, but 99% of the wire out there is not a high strand/silicone wire
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

You can also go to a parts store and buy bullet concetors they snap on tight to the tekin.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:16 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

I wouldn't use the speaker wire. It isn't simply worth the risk in my opinion. I would do what z50king said and get to the track early and have someone help you.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

High strand count does not increase ampacity. 12 AWG is exactly that regardless of stranding, American Wire Guage has been around for over 150 years and it is ultimately a measurement of the cross section of the wire, regardless of stranding.

So both 14 AWG wires will perform the task of current flow comparably. I know the OP had 12 vs 14 and those are definitely different in current capacity. But, the reason for additional stranding is flexibility.

The insulation however can make a difference. You have to take in to account heat dissipation which the silicone does very well and the PVC on typical speaker wire/zip cord does not dissipate heat well which will lower ampacity and increase resistance as it heats up. The silicone is also much more flexible, which we like. Here is where there is a difference in functionality and its not related to the copper wire, but the insulation instead.

It will not make the motor run differently unless it gets hot. Would it look kinda trailer park? yep...

If you are not proficient at soldering, your more likely to have bad performance from crappy soldering. Have someone that has a good hot iron do it for you, your results will be much better.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

ive got a nice pack of novak super flex wire in 3 colors red black and blue ill ship it to ya for the cost of shipping maybe 3 bucks?
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

im sure ryan uses the cheapest of speaker wire for his builds. like that side by side stuff for home use

lol speaker wire

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.