Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What is in the future for RC Cars? >

What is in the future for RC Cars?

What is in the future for RC Cars?

Old 08-09-2010, 08:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What is in the future for RC Cars?

I havent bought an RC Car in about 10 years until recently. it had motorized servo's to control the throttle and an upgrade to an ESC made a huge difference and that seemed like new technology at the time. Back then we had long radio antennas, at the most was a 3000mah battery that had to be ordered from an RC magazine and was not a LiPo (Im now running a 5000mah Lipo and getting plenty of runtime) and motors were not brushless.

I melted a battery once in the old days because my recharger just told me 15 minutes for how long it took to charge, now I got this one that narrows it down to cell count, amperage and even shuts off if the battery gets too hot.

I am impressed with all the changes that have happened since then, its like I took a time machine into what is now the future from what I remember. Only reason I did not really get into it back then was I did not have the funds to be a serious RCer. Now that I am an adult with a decent salary, RC is not such a huge expense anymore and I am impressed with all the changes since then and that electrics are now competitive with the Nitro's.

If theyve made that big of changes in the last 10 years, whats in store for the next 5-10 years?

I could not imagine it getting any better than Lipo's, brushless motors and digital radio's, but could I be wrong?
Old 08-09-2010, 09:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default .

http://www.rctech.net/forum/brunei-r...future-rc.html
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Same as what is happening now but more so, electric will continue to come back, nitro will continue to go away (for a few reasons, slower/noisy/pollution/chemicals/etc).

The smaller scale cars will get more popular I think for indoor racing
Old 08-09-2010, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Someone will come up with a better battery formulation than LiPo (more stable, hopefully). Electronics and motors will get more efficient. Otherwise, as far as chassis design goes...it's pretty much incremental now. Small improvements over time.

Nobody really saw the Short Course phenomenon coming, don't know if the business has something else like that up their sleeve...but onroad could certainly use the boost.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

Originally Posted by foamrc10 View Post
nitro will continue to go away (for a few reasons, slower/noisy/pollution/chemicals/etc).g
never
Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 PM
Tech Rookie

wireless power.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ecu controlled fuel injected nitro/gas engine
Old 08-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Better and better batteries for electric. I think now that performance has kinda tapered off, more will try to couple scale looks with that performance. Might be another hit out there like SCT's.

As for Nitro, I see it going into the fourstroke era before dying off. Wont be long and ANYTHING two stroke will be banned in Cali and europe, so it's only a matter of time before viable alternatives are found if nitro will survive.

Better and better electronics for 1/8th scale may take the classes to new levels. It's already booming here and the electronics out now are far from reliable.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Telemetry! The future is in telemetry and data analysis (even real-time?). Our hobby is very analog (one of the reasons I love it so much - as everything else in my life is so digital) and it will naturally become more digital.

Imagine running a few practice laps, tweaking your setup, running a few more laps, then going back to the pits to pick up your slate computer to review *all* of the details of your run including an analysis of what properties were effected by the setup changes you made. Syncing all of your practice and race data to the cloud so you could track your own progress over time - even compare with others in different locations.

I'm not just talking about lap times and engine RPMs. I'm talking about sensors all around the track and all over the car that give you tons of data. Attitude when leaving a jump, rate of acceleration going into and out of a turn, wheel slip, etc.

Honestly, how many of you feel like you fully understand the impact that each of the setup adjustments on your cars has? If you're like me you just go with what the pros use and then start making small tweaks to fit your track/driving style. But even then it's often just a wild guess. Wouldn't it be great if you could get finely detailed feedback on every aspect of the car and ANY changes that you make to it?

Yes, the equipment would have to be cheap, durable, and available to the masses. That stuff happens over time. We in the software business call them "implementation details".

If you don't think people are interested in racing advantages gained by PC-controlled adjustments, just go to a big onroad race and watch everyone tweaking the timing profiles on their Tekins.

If I ever start a company in the RC space it will be focused on this stuff.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

Originally Posted by mdowney View Post
If I ever start a company in the RC space it will be focused on this stuff.
Count me in. Sounds like you got an idea.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 PM
Tech Master

Believe me - if Microsoft weren't keeping me so busy I'd seriously consider it. I am working on an Arduino (micro computer) project that will collect sensor data in the car. I have a lot more research to do but the more I think about it the more excited I get about the potential.

If I come up with anything interesting I will post some vids and you guys can tell me if I'm on to something.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Addict

This is one future....

Pretty damn popular in these parts

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:41 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by buttmonkey1969 View Post
HAHA - that's the thing that got me back in to RC a few months back. I was reading Engadget one day and read about the fuel cell-powered RC car and thought, "Hmm - I haven't looked in to RC cars since I was ten and raced my JRx2. I do need another hobby..." Then there was a bright flash of light and the rest is a blur. Now I have six cars and circuit boards laying around everywhere.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

Attached Thumbnails What is in the future for RC Cars?-dscf1241-1.jpg  
Old 08-09-2010, 11:59 PM
Tech Rookie

The future of RC is probably going to be any RC vehicle floating in the air, just like back to the future , when M j fox ride on floatable skateboard.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.