Search

battery questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 05:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default battery questions

Hey guys,
I recently traded for a savage flux which is on its way. So today in anticipation I bought. The xl conversion kit to make it xl size and then bought a gigante body and the new bulletproof diffs. Now I'm going to purchase batteries and this is the question since I'm definatly going to by a pair of 2s batteries should I also get a pair of 3s batteries-is the truck drivable on 6s or is just a novelty- should I get a pair of 3s or stock to 2s ? Fyi I don't plan on racing just bashing. Is 6s to destructive on Tue truck?
Old 08-06-2010, 05:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by symmetricon
Hey guys,
I recently traded for a savage flux which is on its way. So today in anticipation I bought. The xl conversion kit to make it xl size and then bought a gigante body and the new bulletproof diffs. Now I'm going to purchase batteries and this is the question since I'm definatly going to by a pair of 2s batteries should I also get a pair of 3s batteries-is the truck drivable on 6s or is just a novelty- should I get a pair of 3s or stock to 2s ? Fyi I don't plan on racing just bashing. Is 6s to destructive on Tue truck?
6s has crazy power. You almost can't floor it. But it's a blast.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Most of the speedies that are smoked seem to be on 6S....not sure that means much though.

Do what I did, I got a pr of 2S and a pr of 3S. That way I can run 4S, 5S or 6S whenever I want to. Just get them the same capacity and C rating so they're mixable. I'd gfet at least 30C rated lipos, Castle recommends 125 - 150amps min.

When you get it, check the 18/23t gear set in the top of the trans. These were orig put out with mild steel gearset which may have been good enough for nitro, but isn't good in a Flux for very long. HPI has a hardened version which solves the prob. HPI P/N 102514.

In case no ones told you, need to use some kind of strap on batt boxes - the boxes will come open while running otherwise and your lipos will come out and potentially be damaged. I use a pr of velcro straps and have never had one come open. Use something in the batt boxes to prevent lipo from moving as well. New, HPI included foam blocks of various sizes to put in the box to prevent lipo from moving. Zip tie mod for the F&R bupmer brackets and you're ready to go!
Old 08-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Tech Elite

Duster thanx for the help, I have not heard about that gear so i just ordered it. Where do you go to bash in houston, since i live hear too im interested in some cool place to bash.

Last edited by symmetricon; 08-06-2010 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I live on the west side of town and a city park is nearby. Not much in the way of varied terrain (pretty flat) and Harris County has planted a ton of small trees making it dicey in some areas where the trees are close together.

At this time of the year, I run in my backyard which is bigger than the average back yard. Running in the park while schools out usually winds up with a bunch of little kids getting way too interested in what I'm doing(apartments all around the park) and I ususlly have to quit.

I'm always up for a better spot to play in.....
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Duster_360
Do what I did, I got a pr of 2S and a pr of 3S. That way I can run 4S, 5S or 6S whenever I want to. Just get them the same capacity and C rating so they're mixable. I'd gfet at least 30C rated lipos, Castle recommends 125 - 150amps min.
I'm so glad you mentioned this. I've been trying to decide which lipos to get and was wondering if I could use two 5000 30C 2S lipos in my RC8Be with my MMM 2200; is it pretty easy to join them into one unit?

Also, can I use only one 5000 30C 2S if I just want to run it for a few minutes without hurting my esc?

The guys at Castle said to make sure I use 5000 or greater to avoid damaging the esc but I wasn't sure if I could run less than a 4S.

This is all new to me so please excuse my newbie questions.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 PM
Tech Elite

Well i ordered 2 pairs of the new turnigy nano-tech batteries 2 2s 6000mah 30-60c and 2 3s 5000mah 30-60c....3 day ups shipping... cant wait.