R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)
Default An expensive 6 laps! :/

Before I start...Ya, I should have checked temps sooner SO..MMP (sensored only mode), LRP X12 8.5 and a fresh 2s 5000mah 30c Zippy battery. I never used drag brake and decided to try it. I threw in 20% drag. 6 laps later my SC10 stops. Smoke was coming out of the motor The MMP wouldn't power up and I found that somehow it killed my lipo in the process. On the charger, it just says connection break.I put a new motor in and changed the settings in the MMP back to 0 drag. On the bench, sometimes the new motor would get 'stuck' or cog and with a little twist of the shaft...it would spin free. It still seemed like brake drag was on too. Now I'm sending the motor and MMP out for repair My spare MMP worked perfect. live and learn...the hard way!
Yeti AS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Drag brake is really great to drive with but that's not the first time I've heard that happening. Sounds like a crappy day!
Neu_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 06:48 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Be interesting to hear what they have to say what happened and the cause . Why would running drag cause these issues ? I run a little drag and never had any issues .

Yeti AS3 , do you race at LH ?
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #4
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would get rid of that mmp poo and get something that is suited fir racers and nit for bashers... if ur worried about going heluv fast go with remind so much better circuitry same for lrp, novack, speed passion... but good luck and sorry bout your bad luck!!!

PS next time go with small steps first 5%, 7%, 10% etc... and personally I am not sure why guys use a lot of drag break anyhow. It does and will heat up everything!
YotieKillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
Be interesting to hear what they have to say what happened and the cause . Why would running drag cause these issues ? I run a little drag and never had any issues .

Yeti AS3 , do you race at LH ?
The way I understand it. The escape is always under power every time u lessen the throttle its engaging break and especially if ur end point aren't set correctly for both ur controller and the esc. That's what a Guy from novack told me in a nut shell when I had a gtb burn up.
YotieKillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:42 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

he had probably set up the gearing to be on the high edge of temps so then the drag brakes pushed it over the edge
mcdragon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:58 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Wow, yeah that really sucks! But it shows how nice have a backup system available is!
Eagletal88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:45 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 77 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdragon2 View Post
he had probably set up the gearing to be on the high edge of temps so then the drag brakes pushed it over the edge
Geared 17/84 and the motor never went over 140 before this. Gear mesh was fine. Like I said...I tossed in a new MMP (no drag) and another LRP X12 8.5 and ran the rest of the weekend at the same 140 temp.

On another note...I just ordered a Tekin RS and a Speed Passion Competition V3 8.5T
Yeti AS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti AS3 View Post
Geared 17/84 and the motor never went over 140 before this. Gear mesh was fine. Like I said...I tossed in a new MMP (no drag) and another LRP X12 8.5 and ran the rest of the weekend at the same 140 temp.

On another note...I just ordered a Tekin RS and a Speed Passion Competition V3 8.5T
Hopefully you get lucky in the tekin esc lottery.
CincinnatiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I run 100% drag brake and have zero heat issues. Don't get me wrong, I have run without it and temps go down. You just have to watch your temps and gearing.
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 12:28 AM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to z50king

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincinnatiKid View Post
what are you talking about? we have had many rs and rs pro systems and have never had a problem
Eric #187. Associated, Tekin, West Coast RC Raceway
t4, mod t4, sc10b, lcc, scx10
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:26 AM   #12
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by z50king View Post
what are you talking about? we have had many rs and rs pro systems and have never had a problem
Well I have never run tekin until a couple of weeks ago. Bought a rx8 combo and 2nd day it was giving me 1,3,and 5 lights. Lipo cutoff or thermal shutdown. Not right! It was definately not a battery problem and the esc was only 2 days old and not getting too hot. Called tekin and they werent suprised at all. Seems like this is a fairly common problem with the rx8 as well as other malfunctions and over heating. Dont get me wrong, they are probably top notch electronics when they are working properly. I will let tekin get their stuff through the loop for a while and fix all these bugs before I buy from them again. Just bought a monster and couldnt be happier.
CincinnatiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 09:47 AM   #13
Tech Adept

I think it couldnt be caused by drag brakes...
L@gger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:30 AM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

Quote:

The RS and RS Pro are great ESCs with very rare issues . The RX8 on other hand has with the older black ESCs .

Just because you are having a problem doesn`t mean someone has to be lucky to get a good one . All I use is Tekin and been for a few years with no issues , including RX8s .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #15
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Well I have never run tekin until a couple of weeks ago. Bought a rx8 combo and 2nd day it was giving me 1,3,and 5 lights. Lipo cutoff or thermal shutdown. Not right! It was definately not a battery problem and the esc was only 2 days old and not getting too hot. Called tekin and they werent suprised at all. Seems like this is a fairly common problem with the rx8 as well as other malfunctions and over heating. Dont get me wrong, they are probably top notch electronics when they are working properly. I will let tekin get their stuff through the loop for a while and fix all these bugs before I buy from them again. Just bought a monster and couldnt be happier.
really i havent run the rx8 but i have a rs and rs pro and the work great. but i have gone through 5+ mmm in just over a year.
pferris is offline   Reply With Quote