Novak motor ruined?

Old 08-06-2010, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Or it just could be Novak for ya
yeah really dude,if can't help then get the hell off with (that's novak for ya).
Old 08-06-2010, 07:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Colts View Post
Or it just could be Novak for ya
Don't you have anything better to then that's Novak for ya ..... we all get the point that you had a bad experience with a motor from them.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Now it could have been the bearing going out a while ago and then finallythe balls from the bearing got in the rotor and shattered it.I haven't had issues with my ballistic yet.(knock on wood)
Old 08-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shim's or bearing's seem to be the first thing's I would check.
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

So I removed the front casing and the bearing seemed ok. Not 100% sure how to check it but it wasn't visibly damaged. I couldn't get the rotor out though? I removed the rear end cap and there are no more screws to pull out. The heavy magnets were sucking the rotor from side to side and didn't want to just yank on it since I break a lot of things unintentionally that way.

How exactly do I remove the rotor or check for further damage? I would LOVE to have this motor working as I need a replacement for my 1512 in my Slash but it's not happening so far!
I know I sound like a noob but I've never had to take apart a brushless motor before, and especially a Novak one.

Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 154 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
So I removed the front casing and the bearing seemed ok. Not 100% sure how to check it but it wasn't visibly damaged. I couldn't get the rotor out though? I removed the rear end cap and there are no more screws to pull out. The heavy magnets were sucking the rotor from side to side and didn't want to just yank on it since I break a lot of things unintentionally that way.

How exactly do I remove the rotor or check for further damage? I would LOVE to have this motor working as I need a replacement for my 1512 in my Slash but it's not happening so far!
I know I sound like a noob but I've never had to take apart a brushless motor before, and especially a Novak one.

Thanks.
The recommended way to remove the rotor is to slip one of the Novak plastic rotor packaging tubes into the motor around the rotor (so it doesn't touch the stator as you slide it out) then grip the shaft with pliers and pull it out.

Since you probably don't have a rotor packaging tube, the next best thing would be to roll up some sturdy paper into a tube you can slide into the motor. Besides preventing you from scratching the plating on the rotor, this moves the rotor further from the iron stator and makes it easier to get out.

But since you have now removed the rear bearing too, there is nothing centering the rotor and you may not be able to use a paper or packaging tube. Given that, you just have to grip the shaft with pliers (or put a pinion on it) and pull it out slowly. Dont be tempted to yank. A good way to do it nice and slow is hold the can in one hand, grip the pinion/pliers in the other and hold it in front of your chest. Then rotate your elbows back, giving you lots of leverage, but no speed.

When you put it back, roll up a paper tube that fits both inside the motor and around the rotor and then install it. Do not use newspaper - use something sturdy like an index card, otherwise you will leave pieces of paper in the motor when you pull the tube out and that will not be good.
Old 08-08-2010, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
The recommended way to remove the rotor is to slip one of the Novak plastic rotor packaging tubes into the motor around the rotor (so it doesn't touch the stator as you slide it out) then grip the shaft with pliers and pull it out.

Since you probably don't have a rotor packaging tube, the next best thing would be to roll up some sturdy paper into a tube you can slide into the motor. Besides preventing you from scratching the plating on the rotor, this moves the rotor further from the iron stator and makes it easier to get out.

But since you have now removed the rear bearing too, there is nothing centering the rotor and you may not be able to use a paper or packaging tube. Given that, you just have to grip the shaft with pliers (or put a pinion on it) and pull it out slowly. Dont be tempted to yank. A good way to do it nice and slow is hold the can in one hand, grip the pinion/pliers in the other and hold it in front of your chest. Then rotate your elbows back, giving you lots of leverage, but no speed.

When you put it back, roll up a paper tube that fits both inside the motor and around the rotor and then install it. Do not use newspaper - use something sturdy like an index card, otherwise you will leave pieces of paper in the motor when you pull the tube out and that will not be good.
+1

And without the tube getting the rotor back in the motor is a BITCH!!! I did not try the paper method but it sounds like it will work. I did the same thing with my SP 5.5 550, I had to be very creative to get the rotor back in.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:18 PM
Tech Adept

I watched youtube vids and thought thats easy... On youtube it took them like 2 minutes to reassemble motor and me 30 minutes because that magnet is really hard to get out with those metods if you dont have that plastic tube.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Its not really that big of a deal, use a tube or cut a index card the proper size. Put rotor in, leave plastic off the end so you can eyeball the end of the rotor through the hole in the bearing, done. Make sure you reoil the bearings and spray the can out with air while you have it apart. It will be hard to pull the rotor out, you will have to use pliers.

Last edited by brickshouse; 08-08-2010 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post

Thanks for the help. I actually haven't removed any bearings from anywhere. I took the front cap off, saw the rotor, took the rear plastic cap off to look at what was underneath, gave a gentle tug on the rotor to see if it would come out (obviously it didn't) and put it all back and asked you guys.

Will try this paper method, thanks again!
Old 08-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

I had one of the first HVs and a chip snapped out of the rotor. Since it was new and under warranty, Novak sent me a new rotor before I even sent the damaged one in. Never had anymore issues with the motor. All it cost was postage.

THAT IS NOVAK FOR YOU.