Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Neu 1512 1.5d motor in a custom Slash >

Neu 1512 1.5d motor in a custom Slash

Neu 1512 1.5d motor in a custom Slash

Old 08-05-2010, 12:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default Neu 1512 1.5d motor in a custom Slash

I've got a custom LCG mid motor Slash I built and am running a Neu 1512 1.5d (3200kv) motor with 32P gears, a Mamba Max ESC, and either a 5800 25C or a 5000mah 20C lipo. Gearing is currently 19/58. After maybe 4 mins the ESC is really warm (not dangerously warm but would thermal fairly soon at that rate) and of course the motor being a Neu is ice cold. First thought is undergeared but doesn't appear to have the makings of undergeared? I'm not a noob so I checked all the obvious.

No binding, proper mesh, running 5.5mm bullets/deans, punch control at 30%, no drag, etc.

The MM is a pretty good ESC and my truck is only 4 oz heavier than a stock Slash so not sure what the deal is. I put a fan on it and it helps tremendously but it still shouldn't be getting that hot so quickly.
Any suggestions?

Also, the fan I'm using is a compact 12v fan barely bigger than a standard Novak fan. Any ideas on how to get 12v to it instead of running 7.4v off the lipo balance taps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Initiate

gear down.. that was happening to me too. I went down a couple teeth.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Good to hear the Neu is working for you! I'm sure it is a beast in a 2WD.

i guess you are using the mamba max not the mamba max pro? I think the pro may be a better fit, or even a MMM sense the NEU isn't sensored. You can get basically brand new MMM ESCs on the forum for under $100.

The speed control heating up and the motor staying cool does not usually mean you are over geared. That would make the motor much hotter. I think you just have too much motor for the speed control you are using. You definetly need a fan on whatever ESC you are using.

Hope you got the VXL in the mail.

Rich
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I was told by Castle (via the phone just this week) that they don't want to see batteries lower than 25C being used with the Mamba ESC's.

I know you said you had one at 25C, but I saw 20C listed too so I wanted to chime in.

Wouldn't hurt to call them. Their customer service is pretty decent.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
I've got a custom LCG mid motor Slash I built and am running a Neu 1512 1.5d (3200kv) motor with 32P gears, a Mamba Max ESC, and either a 5800 25C or a 5000mah 20C lipo. Gearing is currently 19/58. After maybe 4 mins the ESC is really warm (not dangerously warm but would thermal fairly soon at that rate) and of course the motor being a Neu is ice cold. First thought is undergeared but doesn't appear to have the makings of undergeared? I'm not a noob so I checked all the obvious.

No binding, proper mesh, running 5.5mm bullets/deans, punch control at 30%, no drag, etc.

The MM is a pretty good ESC and my truck is only 4 oz heavier than a stock Slash so not sure what the deal is. I put a fan on it and it helps tremendously but it still shouldn't be getting that hot so quickly.
Any suggestions?

Also, the fan I'm using is a compact 12v fan barely bigger than a standard Novak fan. Any ideas on how to get 12v to it instead of running 7.4v off the lipo balance taps?

Thanks in advance.
I am surprised your drive train hasn't disintegrated with that motor. The ESC is probably getting hot because that motor pulls a TON of amps. We used to use them in 8th scale years ago and you could barely get 12-13 minutes of run time with a 4s 5000 pack. Great motor though. Always ran cool, but it put a hurting on batteries and speed controls.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

try turning down the punch control
Old 08-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's a hot motor - like 1000 watts. With a 2-cell LiPO it may be sucking a lot of amps through the esc off the lower-volt battery. Say the motor is running at its wattage rating of 1000 watts and you have 7.2 volt batteries. It'll want to pull 1000w/7.2v = 138 amps. Amps = heat. Anyone else - let me know if the calculation is wrong.

Would you be willing to try a smaller motor like a 1506 1.5Y?

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1500_series.html
Old 08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by richvarner View Post
Good to hear the Neu is working for you! I'm sure it is a beast in a 2WD.

i guess you are using the mamba max not the mamba max pro? I think the pro may be a better fit, or even a MMM sense the NEU isn't sensored. You can get basically brand new MMM ESCs on the forum for under $100.

The speed control heating up and the motor staying cool does not usually mean you are over geared. That would make the motor much hotter. I think you just have too much motor for the speed control you are using. You definetly need a fan on whatever ESC you are using.

Hope you got the VXL in the mail.

Rich
The motor and shocks are incredible. Thanks for the good deal! I agree with the not being overgeared part but I also don't think it's undergeared either with the FDR I currently have. That's why I'm confused though. I've owned 1/8 scale buggies AND truggies with MM speedos and they ran just fine on 4S with an external BEC.

It does work well with the fan and lasts a full 5800 pack so I will keep doing that. I just need to find out a way to get the full 12v to the fan instead of the 7.4v the lipo puts out. Maybe a 9v battery with an on/off switch in between? I dunno. Suppose I could use a standard fan but that's too easy!
I did get it and sent yours back off, albeit a little late. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Drusillus View Post
I was told by Castle (via the phone just this week) that they don't want to see batteries lower than 25C being used with the Mamba ESC's.

I know you said you had one at 25C, but I saw 20C listed too so I wanted to chime in.
It's funny all the misconceptions about lipos. People always think a 25C is better than a 20C or whatever. Take a 5000mah 20C and it's able to maintain 100 amps discharge. Take a 3000mah 30C and it can only handle 90 amps. Last I checked 100 > 90 . There is more than just a discharge rating when calculating battery quality but I do appreciate the input. CC service is awesome and that's why I use them.

Originally Posted by Edumakated View Post
I am surprised your drive train hasn't disintegrated with that motor. The ESC is probably getting hot because that motor pulls a TON of amps. We used to use them in 8th scale years ago and you could barely get 12-13 minutes of run time with a 4s 5000 pack. Great motor though. Always ran cool, but it put a hurting on batteries and speed controls.
It's only on 2S and it's a 3200kv motor. If I could get traction I may have issues but the VXL tranny is almost bulletproof and I'm running steel outdrives so after 2 days of practice and 1 race night it's been perfect. I also extended the slipper plate away from the tranny too with thrust balls and still no problems. (I'll explain in my build thread about to be posted!)
Old 08-05-2010, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
That's a hot motor - like 1000 watts. With a 2-cell LiPO it may be sucking a lot of amps through the esc off the lower-volt battery. Say the motor is running at its wattage rating of 1000 watts and you have 7.2 volt batteries. It'll want to pull 1000w/7.2v = 138 amps. Amps = heat. Anyone else - let me know if the calculation is wrong.

Would you be willing to try a smaller motor like a 1506 1.5Y?

http://www.neumotors.com/Site/1500_series.html
The motor is ice cold. And the 1000 watts is what it CAN do if I'm correct. Not what it puts out all the time?
138 amps is more than the MM is rated for so when the funds allow maybe I'll get the MM Pro.

Definitely not looking to go down to a 1506. Maybe a 1509 but that's the lowest I'd consider. I am also very interested in the 1400 series motors because with the 15 I have now there are very few gearing options I have available due to the diameter of the can.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

I cannot wait to see the build thread!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer View Post
The motor is ice cold. And the 1000 watts is what it CAN do if I'm correct. Not what it puts out all the time?
138 amps is more than the MM is rated for so when the funds allow maybe I'll get the MM Pro.

Definitely not looking to go down to a 1506. Maybe a 1509 but that's the lowest I'd consider. I am also very interested in the 1400 series motors because with the 15 I have now there are very few gearing options I have available due to the diameter of the can.
The 1509 is more appropriate for a slash. Even a 1506 would probably work well. The 1512 1.5d could push my rc8 to 65-70mph like it was nothing on 4s. I used to destroy my center diff like every 15 minutes before we figured out how to shim them properly to compensate for all the torque of that motor and the rpms which is why I asked if your drive train is surviving.

Even on 2s, the motor is still a power hog. I used to race it on 3s and my lipos would come off the track at like 140 . Ran two fans on the Mamba Max with it. One on top and another on the bottom of the esc.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have a wattmeter on my shopping list for later this year. Definitely would love to see what kind of wattage you're pulling during acceleration - that would help to compute the amps. I don't know how well they operate on amp bursts > 100A, but here's one with probably enough capability:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10786
or this one to 130A
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080
Old 08-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by richvarner View Post
I cannot wait to see the build thread!
Here it is!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...tor-slash.html
Old 08-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmcvicker View Post
I have a wattmeter on my shopping list for later this year. Definitely would love to see what kind of wattage you're pulling during acceleration - that would help to compute the amps. I don't know how well they operate on amp bursts > 100A, but here's one with probably enough capability:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10786
or this one to 130A
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10080

Yeah, next 2 tools I purchase are digital calipers and a Watts meter.

Thanks for the input! My buddy has a meter I may try to borrow. Would be good info to have.