Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SMC Battery puffed... >

SMC Battery puffed...

SMC Battery puffed...

Old 09-23-2010, 11:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
+1. I had several 5200 40C puff, both 2S & 4S. SMC replaced them all and without me having to send the puffed packs back, which would have cost an arm and a leg cos I'm in Australia.
This is more than I can say for Fantom who refused to provide any meaningful help when one of their 4S 5000 40c packs arrived with a bad balance wire.
They wanted me to send it back before they would do anything, wouldn't even send a replacement case or offer one for sale. Not sure about anyone else out there, but i'd be damned if I put a faulty lipo in the mail. As it turned out when I pulled the case off, the balance wire was just floating around with a huge blob of solder. I'm lucky it didn't short whilst in my car, and glad I didn't post it.
it would be your fault if the faulty smc battery burn down the post office or airplane if you ship it back to smc, thats why they wont ask you to send it back.
btw i paid $130 for my smc cmax and it dont perform good as speedpower on track. and it swell after few times of use
Old 09-24-2010, 06:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littlealex View Post
it would be your fault if the faulty smc battery burn down the post office or airplane if you ship it back to smc, thats why they wont ask you to send it back.
btw i paid $130 for my smc cmax and it dont perform good as speedpower on track. and it swell after few times of use
Exactly... but Fantom insisted that they weren't able to help unless I sent the pack back to them.. Where as SMC understood this and ask for some HiRes pics.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 502 (100%+)

This is an interesting thread....I just found it. I, myself, like SMC batteries very much but I have had my share of trouble with them. I have 4 5200 28 or 24c packs that I use for stock racing. They work well but lose balance more frequently than other packs that I have. These particular packs work very well when taken care of. However, I had 2 5200 40c packs that both swelled for absolutely no reason. I only race/practice in 5-7 minute intervals because races run that long. I've never even heated them up, but still, after 20 cycles or so they both swelled enough to pop the case.....I threw them out and won't buy their higher end batteries anymore. I also had a 9000mah SMC that I used for practice in my SC trucks and that battery was awesome. I sold it because it was too heavy...but it was among the best that I've ever had and could run forever. I guess its hit or miss.....
Old 09-27-2010, 01:30 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had two SMC 6000 mAh packs, don't have a problem for a year since I balanced the lipo and take care of them.
Old 10-20-2010, 05:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I recently bought 2 6000mah 28c 2s lipos for my sc10. After about 2-3 cycles both have swelled. I have about 10-11 cycles on each now and they still work fine and have not swelled anymore (I think). The swelling isn't anything major. However when I put each up against a flat surface you can sort of rock the battery side to side. I always balanced both packs since the initial charge as my charger only has that setting. I run a LVC on my truck so I am not exactly sure what the problem is.
I don't bash, all I use these batteries for is race days or pratice at whatever track I go to. How do I get in touch with SMC about this issues.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My SMC sportmax 6000 28c+ 7.4 packs have done the same thing. They both puffed enough to swell the case and bulge it stressing the ROAR approved tape. Mine came with instructions, to which I have followed to a t. I bought a pair of Reedy 2c packs, and a set of 3 4s flightmax packs. The Reedys came so far out of balance it took forever balancing before I could charge them. The Flightmaxes have been by far the least trouble.. Go figure.. I probably won't buy SMC's again, but thats my luck with them. Every time I charge them, it's in a lipo sack, and I always wonder if there is a disaster coming. I don't with my Reedys or flightmaxes. With the Reedy or the Flightmax, if I were to forget my charging sack, I'd still charge them up. The SMC's I'd just go home without running. I just dont have confidence in them. I haven't tried to contact SMC, as I am not sure I would want to use their batteries anymore anyway!
Old 10-21-2010, 06:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 502 (100%+)

Its been almost a month since I posted and all 8 of my SMC 24c packs are doing fine after 1-2 nights a week of running 3 classes a race night. No complaints.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Laloosh View Post
I recently bought 2 6000mah 28c 2s lipos for my sc10. After about 2-3 cycles both have swelled. I have about 10-11 cycles on each now and they still work fine and have not swelled anymore (I think). The swelling isn't anything major. However when I put each up against a flat surface you can sort of rock the battery side to side. I always balanced both packs since the initial charge as my charger only has that setting. I run a LVC on my truck so I am not exactly sure what the problem is.
I don't bash, all I use these batteries for is race days or pratice at whatever track I go to. How do I get in touch with SMC about this issues.
hope this helps their customer support is pretty good from what i've read ...

http://www.smc-racing.com/
Old 10-25-2010, 07:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I had a 5200mah 25c swell in a couple weeks use. I sent pictures and everything requested by them and they basically told me to pound sand.
Old 10-26-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

I had 2 2S 6000ma 28C packs and they puffed after about 3 months. Customer service was awesome, they replaced both free of charge (which included shipping to Canada). Unfortunately the replacements have puffed also. I have taken care of these and stored as per SMC recommends. Funny thing is I have some cheaper batteries that I have totally abused and the are just starting o puff after 2yrs of abuse.
Old 10-26-2010, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

SMC lipos SUCK,plain and simple.....
Old 10-26-2010, 06:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

SMC is the best battery...hands down. I wouldnt use any other brand.