Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SMC Battery puffed... >

SMC Battery puffed...

SMC Battery puffed...

Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Here's my take on it, and mine alone. Do what you will, but I'm not responsible.

If the lipo goes off, there is nothing you can do to stop it. So, whether you are there or not is actually not going to matter much, unless you are there with the right kind of fire extinguisher in your hands. So, you might as well always charge in a fireproof container whether you are going to stand around and observe it or not. Just because you are there, don't assume you can charge without any fire protection, as they tend to move around shooting flames out, so anything flammable nearby is going to be messed up. So, no matter what, fire proof container unless you charge outside in the desert or something. The other thing is that the smoke is horrible and very corrosive. If it is in your house or garage, then you will suffer much smoke damage even if you are there with a fire extinguisher to put it out. You are better off making sure that you are able to charge safely if you are there or not. Especially since according the murphys law, the thing will only ignite when you are called inside to answer the phone or do something for the wife. You can sit around and charge all day, and the 1 minute you leave is when the fire will happen. So, you might as well secure your charging area pretty well, and not have anything in the area that you care too much about, except of course for the charger. I think that just like forest fires, STD's and teen pregnancy, the best bet is prevention. Make sure your cells are well taken care of. Know your charger, and never assume anything about the settings. I use a cellpro 4s, because I can't screw it up. I charge in a large clay flower pot, sitting on a clay base, and then I have a base from a larger flower pot to sit on top. It will contain fire very nicely. There's nothing I've seen yet to stop the smoke. What I would really like to do would be to build a small brick or cinder block bunker to charge in, so everything is protected from rain and all that, but no smoke or fire can possibly damage the house. or have a small fire proof enclosure in the garage than vents out to the outside by a fan with a duct, so no smoke can damage anything. That's an expensive and cumbersome way to go, and not likely to happen, unless I win the lottery and build a mega-house. Then I would have a workshop with one of those vent hoods for doing nasty chemical reactions in, like in chem class. Lots of ventilation. Sealed in cabinet with plexiglass windows, with the thick gloves mounted in them.
That's probably about the only thing that could ever truly be considered safe. Just having them in the house or car is a risk. However, life is not without risks. We are probably much more likely to slip in the tub and die than to ever experience a lipo fire firsthand.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=144

I'm new to all this lipo stuff but it sure is frightening to read all this stuff about lipo home and car fires. Coming from a Traxxas Stampede I sure didn't realize there was so much to charging lipo batteries.

This information is a few years old but how much of it still applies to today's lipos? What precautions do you guys take with your lipos?
Old 08-09-2010, 10:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
How many nationals and world wins does turnigy or zippy have? SMC's provide power to win, not just to get by at a club race.
And sure as hell not for us bashers as I found out the hard way, which makes SMC's useless to people like me.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MulliganAl View Post
[/I]
This information is a few years old but how much of it still applies to today's lipos?
All of it
Old 08-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Freezebyte View Post
And sure as hell not for us bashers as I found out the hard way, which makes SMC's useless to people like me.
It is what it is. Asking SMC to use cheaper lower quality and lower performing cells and placing their winning results in jeopardy is wrong to me. Remember, what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. If your happy with the cheaper cells, great. But for me having the top performing equipment puts me at ease that the equipment is sound and let's me concentrate on driving. I've had 27c SMC's out perform 40c's from other company's in my car. That's why I run SMC's, pure performance!

Last edited by chensleyrc1; 08-09-2010 at 06:45 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by chensleyrc1 View Post
It what it is. Asking SMC to use cheaper lower quality and lower performing cells and placing their winning results in jepordy is wrong to me. That's why I run SMC's, pure performance!
Then they should have put that in BIG ASS BOLD letters PRINTED on a bright and large sheet with their Lipos and on their website with their products so that woulda saved me alot of time, money and grief last year.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM
Tech Adept

All of it

What are the pros/cons of LiFeP04 batteries vs. lipo batteries?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Tech Adept

Old 08-09-2010, 12:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MulliganAl View Post
What are the pros/cons of LiFeP04 batteries vs. lipo batteries?
LiFE Lithion Iron Phosphate

Pro's:

Incredibly stable battery chemistry, will not explode or catch fire, simply smokes from physical damage
Can be charged and discharged at very high rates vs LiPo
Does not need to have a LVC, can be run all the way down with no ill effects
Cannot be overcharged or discharge
More charge/discharge cycles

Cons:

Initial higher cost
Lower market saturation and makers
Lower cell voltages 3.2v vs 3.7v for LiPo
Packs tend to be larger
New to industry and not well established
Old 08-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Then they should have put that in BIG ASS BOLD letters PRINTED on a bright and large sheet with their Lipos and on their website with their products so that woulda saved me alot of time, money and grief last year.
Dont blame the manufacturer because you didn't do your home work.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

When you decided to buy SMC, what was the reason? I am hoping you wanted a top performing race pack. If you wanted a sport pack why on earth would you pay the price of the SMC for sport performance?
I'm not trying to be an ass, I feel your pain on the loss. I have had problems with equipment also, but I don't blame the manufacturer for me not using the product the way it was intended.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

give SMC some room. They are just trying a new method of making batteries.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

sorry i started this thread.
I have nothing against SMC. just bummed my batts went bad.

the race pack i do have, well that one is still workin great. it was just their sport packs i had that went bad, and they aren't even bad. just puffy. and not much at all.
Old 09-18-2010, 10:49 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

me and my 3 other track friends group buy a bunch of smc cmax batteries for expensive price (compare to other brands with similar specs) and all of our batteries swell within 4 months and we are all experienced and know how to take care of our lipo batteries
smc batteries is not reliable and not powerful (tested with different brand on track)
Old 09-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

smc website is closed! what happend?
Old 09-19-2010, 05:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I had the 6000mah 28c pack and it puffed. I called SMC and they replaced it, no charge. Thats better customer service than most.
+1. I had several 5200 40C puff, both 2S & 4S. SMC replaced them all and without me having to send the puffed packs back, which would have cost an arm and a leg cos I'm in Australia.
This is more than I can say for Fantom who refused to provide any meaningful help when one of their 4S 5000 40c packs arrived with a bad balance wire.
They wanted me to send it back before they would do anything, wouldn't even send a replacement case or offer one for sale. Not sure about anyone else out there, but i'd be damned if I put a faulty lipo in the mail. As it turned out when I pulled the case off, the balance wire was just floating around with a huge blob of solder. I'm lucky it didn't short whilst in my car, and glad I didn't post it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service