Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SMC Battery puffed... >

SMC Battery puffed...

SMC Battery puffed...

Old 08-03-2010, 09:06 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default SMC Service

Been running several SMC packs. Hit'm long and hard with SC 2wd and 4wd. Did have problems last year with the puff. Brian sorted me out on two different occasions. The new stuff is hit'n.

I race and understand it cost money and requires increased knowledge to keep the special white smoke inside the equipment.

This Lipo stuff is still fresh and cutting edge.

Time to have fun, be happy with your next double or maybe triple.

--SouthernMan
Old 08-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I have been running an SMC 5200mah 50c pack with no issues. Great product as far as I am concerned!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

yeah, my saddle is great from SMC> no issues for three years.

maybe the sport packs were a bit lower quality, they are much cheaper, and the hard cases are, well, not the same great quality of the red cased packs.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Tech Fanatic

Your not the first to have an SMC lipo go bad on you...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...smc-lipos.html
Old 08-05-2010, 12:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by drew840 View Post
I have the same battery and it did the same thing... These batteries are known for this..

another buddy of mine at the track had the same problem...

after that I started buying Turnigy batteries from Hong Kong and to be honest, I love them.

No more $100 batteries for me

I do REALLY wish SMC would have given us specific instructions, IN PRINT in regards to running and maintaining their particular Lipo, ESPECIALLY the storage and usage requirements. This again emphasises that we need to have better standards amongst the lipo industry so we we'd have less issues, ruined property, wasted money, lost time and ill tempers about a companies product. Had I known from the beginning that SMC's were that "picky" of a Lipo, designed specifically for frequent, hard racing use, I would have never have bought them and not lost $160 in two pairs of SMC Lipo's and months of waiting with no Lipo's for my Flux to run.

I do thank Bryan and SMC very much for going out of their way to help with that ordeal from last year and giving me lots of good information and advice. I just wish it didn't end up costing me so much time, money, energy and me being the poster child of a new Lipo user suffering from lack of Lipo knowledge.

That being said, i've got 2 pairs of Turnigy Lipos coming from HK. Amazingly enough, even with two seperate orders from ACROSS the ocean, it still cost less then one pair of those SMC lipos I got locally in the USA.

In the end, we all learned something from this. I just ask that ALL Lipo makers give buyers detailed, PRINTED instructions on how to use and care for their specific lipo products. It wil prevent alot of incidents like this happening in the future IMO.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

interestingly enough i already read your thread yesterday...

we are brothers in arms in the "we bought the best purpose-built lipos we could find and didn't use them correctly" club.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I had the 6000mah 28c pack and it puffed. I called SMC and they replaced it, no charge. Thats better customer service than most.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I am glad I just found this thread,now I can vent..I purchased a SMC 50c max 2c lipo about 6 months ago,the 4th charged it swelled,I called SMC had to email the owner from Canada 6 weeks later had a replacement lipo,now it has a cut positive wire and the owner of SMC said there wasnt anything that could be done because it was inside the hard case..so,I have a 120.00 SMC lipo that is 4 months old that is now in a salt water bath...SMC plainly SUCKS....Now I know why I switched to MAXAMPS,there customer service ROCKS,and warranty is the BEST...
Old 08-06-2010, 08:44 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I had the 6000mah 28c pack and it puffed. I called SMC and they replaced it, no charge. Thats better customer service than most.
====

Like I said earlier, I did have SMC puff... Brian sorted me on battery, knowledge, etc. Fantastic service and product. I continue to buy his stuff. SMC's hit hard. I play with Tur^&*y and many others but race ROAR approved SMC.

Last insert, some of the the same Lipo "growing pains" have happened with two other premium manufactures, the service and product is no where near the same level as SMC's. One place said "oh, your a year and a half into a 3 year full warranty... you have to pay half the cost of the batteries." Mmmmmm... where is the "full warranty" that I payed a extra/premium for. They have a extra cost for their "full warranty" that is not. But could be
Old 08-08-2010, 07:02 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

well sadly i puffed my 1st lipo. a 28c 'EFRA' pack (bullets). 2wd buggy 2day and i was well into a run, cutoff works well, but i stopped before that when car started to lose its snap. as i was spinning the retaining nuts on my b4's strap the battery expanded with it. u could watch the carbon battery bar bend. crazy stuff. oh well, went to battery heaven. i think i did get 70bux worth out of it. still if i do any 2wd mod racing this winter (tough since i moved further away), i'll be doin LiFe.

R
Old 08-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

cant say i have ever had or seen someone have a problem with any smc pack at the tracks i frequent
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Initiate

SMC provides great products and customer service. Problems happen with any product, cars, appliances, etc. What makes the difference is customer service and SMC has demostrated that. As for not saying anything except how to care for their products on boards speaks volumns about quality customer service.

I have in my stash, Reedy's; Zippy's, SMCs, and a couple of other brands. To date, I can say I have had good experiences with all but problems too and SMC has been there to provide direction and if the issue is with thier product, which they stand behiind, the deliver.

SMC keep the great service and products.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
I am glad I just found this thread,now I can vent..I purchased a SMC 50c max 2c lipo about 6 months ago,the 4th charged it swelled,I called SMC had to email the owner from Canada 6 weeks later had a replacement lipo,now it has a cut positive wire and the owner of SMC said there wasnt anything that could be done because it was inside the hard case..so,I have a 120.00 SMC lipo that is 4 months old that is now in a salt water bath...SMC plainly SUCKS....Now I know why I switched to MAXAMPS,there customer service ROCKS,and warranty is the BEST...
You switched from SMC to MAXAMPS for better customer service? Wow! That statement sounds really crazy! But whatever floats your boat!

I have had 8 SMC lipos and had 2 puff that were replaced for free and 2 others puffed that were old and they swapped those 2 in for 2 new ones at half price, no questions asked!

Maxamps? I had 2 new ones puff, returned them for nothin! The basically said I was S.O.L.! Good luck with that!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

SMC liops are the bomb and Bryan at SMC rocks. I wont use any other lipo. Their service is excellent and their batteries are awesome. I run them in my RC8TE and my Ve8 plenty of run time and power for 15 and 20 minute mains.
Old 08-09-2010, 06:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How many nationals and world wins does turnigy or zippy have? SMC's provide power to win, not just to get by at a club race.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service