Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

So word from caslte creations tech department is ZIPPY and LOSI lipo packs are junk. This weekend my buddy was running his losi 8ight T with a castle creations Mamba Monster 2200 combo with a ZIPPY 25-30c 4s 5000mah pack. Truggy was running fine till simply seized up on him down the straight. At first he thought he lost a driveline with the way it stopped. He pulled the truggy off the track popped the lid of checked the wires,drivelines and motor etc... nothing was bound up and everything looked good, he hit the gas and BAM the whole damn speed controller lit up like a smoke bomb.

So today after speaking with the tech they informed him that ZIPPY packs are junk and should not be used with their products. They said the pack surged and blew a capaciter which is why the car shut down and when he gave it gas again it surged and fried the ESC. They claim the zippy packs are total junk but they are not allowed to say anything to consumers in their packaging.

So if this holds true here is the way I look at it. You will need to pony up 280 and up for 1 good lipo pack, you get MAX 20 min run times and these packs take over an hour to charge so you will need minimum 3 packs per vehicle you run.

I think im going back to nitro.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

SMC Packs charge at 8-10 amps takes like 30 min to charge 5000
Old 02-23-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Apprentice

Sounds like a load of crap to me. My friends and I run a plethora of Hobby City packs, Max Amps packs, Yea Racing packs, Zippy, Rhino, Loong Max, and we've never had a problem. It sounds like something in the driveline/motor was seized and when the throttle was applied it caused the ESC to detonate.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Apprentice

This is wierd. I can sort of understand such a statement about Zippy since they're a Chinese/Korean "budget" battery but the Losi battery? If this is really true then I'd be bold enough to say CC stuff is junk, not the battery. But frankly, I think neither is the case. Tons of people have has nothing but good things to say about Zippy batteries. I've been using Zippy batteries in my MMM2200kV combo for 3 months now with absolutely no problems. Heat is low and power is high. Sounds more like a freak accident to me. Are there any other instances of this happening?
Old 02-23-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Ditto...My buddy has been using zippy's with the 2200 for a while and no problems have come...
Old 02-23-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aceldama
Sounds like a load of crap to me. My friends and I run a plethora of Hobby City packs, Max Amps packs, Yea Racing packs, Zippy, Rhino, Loong Max, and we've never had a problem. It sounds like something in the driveline/motor was seized and when the throttle was applied it caused the ESC to detonate.
Trust me, we both find this strange. Here is the kicker we are both using the Hyperion duo II which is the best charger/balancer on the market. No joke the 2 zippy packs he was using have about 4 cycles on them. Castle at first was trying to tell him that it really was not a warrenty issue since the battery fried the ESC. Now I have a losi Xceleron 2100kv in my 8e and I have the CC MM in my truggy. I have had zero issues with either them. The only thing I noticed is with my Losi Lipo I only get abuot 15min run times and that was a 200 dollar batt and my 75 dollar ZIPPY's get me 20mins. Also the Losi 2100kv motor with my 4s pack gets up to 200 degrees even with a heat sink and fan combo on the motor.

300-350 for motor and ESC
250 and up for a good quality lipo (according to CC)
3 batts min. per car
300 for a hyperion charger/ 80 for the power supply
This is $$$$$$$$$

Don't get me wrong I love the power of my Electrics but I just don't see how they are gonna last very long im pretty sure im going to stay with nitro.

The tech told my buddy they are having alot of issues with people riunning zippy packs, so they bought a bunch of zippy packs and have tested them. Results junk. False c rating. 1 cell always turns bad after a few cycles and never is 100% at burst.

Keep in mind my buddy is not the kinda guy to take some BS answer he argued with the guy for awhile and told him that's BS that they say a zippy pack caused the meltdown and if it happens again he is up shitcreek
Old 02-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
So word from caslte creations tech department is ZIPPY and LOSI lipo packs are junk. This weekend my buddy was running his losi 8ight T with a castle creations Mamba Monster 2200 combo with a ZIPPY 25-30c 4s 5000mah pack. Truggy was running fine till simply seized up on him down the straight. At first he thought he lost a driveline with the way it stopped. He pulled the truggy off the track popped the lid of checked the wires,drivelines and motor etc... nothing was bound up and everything looked good, he hit the gas and BAM the whole damn speed controller lit up like a smoke bomb.

So today after speaking with the tech they informed him that ZIPPY packs are junk and should not be used with their products. They said the pack surged and blew a capaciter which is why the car shut down and when he gave it gas again it surged and fried the ESC. They claim the zippy packs are total junk but they are not allowed to say anything to consumers in their packaging.

So if this holds true here is the way I look at it. You will need to pony up 280 and up for 1 good lipo pack, you get MAX 20 min run times and these packs take over an hour to charge so you will need minimum 3 packs per vehicle you run.

My buddy was running a O.S. Speed in his GS storm buggy, he was just running down the straight and bam it blew up.

Contacted O.S. tech and they said that the crappy GS drivetrain put too much load on the motor and blew it up.

The way I see it you have to buy a $600+ Kyosho MP9 to run.

I think I am going back to collecting star wars figures.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

from what i know from reading what the SMC guy writes, all lipo cells are made in asia "somewhere." some are higher quality than others. the thing with Zippy it that they can make lots of power on a budget, but voltage spikes are huge in their budget cells. other companies are using higher quality cells that do not have the same voltage spikes.

sounds like the capacitor boiled and all the voltage spike ate the ESC. the battery could not handle the infinite number of times it is turned on and off during operation, and the capacitor was finally tested to its limit. once that fluid inside the capacitor boils, its over. there is nothing protecting your esc.

my idea do this is get more capacitors, or bigger ones, that can handle the voltage spikes thrown at them, or dont skimp on the batteries.

"you get what you pay for"

i would also buy from a company where you could actually call and talk to someone, not a HK place where its online communication only.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm planning a conversion now and will ONLY run SMC packs. Zippy's are a lot of battery for the money, but they bypass the dealer/distribution network all together. I'd like to hear more of Castle's standpoint on their batteries, regarding the Zippy. I'm sure the experts on here are much smarter than Castle though.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjderstine
from what i know from reading what the SMC guy writes, all lipo cells are made in asia "somewhere." some are higher quality than others. the thing with Zippy it that they can make lots of power on a budget, but voltage spikes are huge in their budget cells. other companies are using higher quality cells that do not have the same voltage spikes.

sounds like the capacitor boiled and all the voltage spike ate the ESC. the battery could not handle the infinite number of times it is turned on and off during operation, and the capacitor was finally tested to its limit. once that fluid inside the capacitor boils, its over. there is nothing protecting your esc.

my idea do this is get more capacitors, or bigger ones, that can handle the voltage spikes thrown at them, or dont skimp on the batteries.

"you get what you pay for"

i would also buy from a company where you could actually call and talk to someone, not a HK place where its online communication only.
Totally agree with what you are saying. One of the reasons we bought the zippy packs was all the rave reviews I have read about them on here. CC says those are the biggest capacitors they can put on the ESC. 200 bucks and up for a batt pack and needing at least 3 per vehicle, simply is not easy on the wallet. Yes nitro is $$$ but not alot more reliable than this has been so far.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

CC sounds like they are not being good. Airplane and heli guys have been running zippys too and they put a lot more stress on their batts. I havent seen anything on the heli forums about zippys frying heli and air escs.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
I'm planning a conversion now and will ONLY run SMC packs. Zippy's are a lot of battery for the money, but they bypass the dealer/distribution network all together. I'd like to hear more of Castle's standpoint on their batteries, regarding the Zippy. I'm sure the experts on here are much smarter than Castle though.

The tech said, they are built poorly and the rating they claim are totally off par. They recomended thunderpower or it was flight something can't remember would have to ask my buddy again.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Totally agree with what you are saying. One of the reasons we bought the zippy packs was all the rave reviews I have read about them on here. CC says those are the biggest capacitors they can put on the ESC. 200 bucks and up for a batt pack and needing at least 3 per vehicle, simply is not easy on the wallet. Yes nitro is $$$ but not alot more reliable than this has been so far.

check with danny at SMC. hes is SMC and will set you straight as far as batteries go.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-4s-packs.html

that a nice thread on his new 40c 4cell packs. 175, is nota bad price at all.

i have heard thunderpower is great too, but wow, what a price tag.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mjderstine
check with danny at SMC. hes is SMC and will set you straight as far as batteries go.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...-4s-packs.html

that a nice thread on his new 40c 4cell packs.

i have heard thunderpower is great too, but wow, what a price tag.
Ok so here is another thing, the tech also said not to use anything higher than a 25c rated pack. Stated that anything above that simply wastes power and will not yeild as long of run times. From what I have been reading it stated the higher the c rating the better. Im not trying to stir the pot just get some answers before I decide to ditch all my electics. So far I have not had any issues other than the fact that I think the losi system runs way to hot and planned on replacing it when it burs up.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trust me, we both find this strange. Here is the kicker we are both using the Hyperion duo II which is the best charger/balancer on the market. No joke the 2 zippy packs he was using have about 4 cycles on them. Castle at first was trying to tell him that it really was not a warrenty issue since the battery fried the ESC. Now I have a losi Xceleron 2100kv in my 8e and I have the CC MM in my truggy. I have had zero issues with either them. The only thing I noticed is with my Losi Lipo I only get abuot 15min run times and that was a 200 dollar batt and my 75 dollar ZIPPY's get me 20mins. Also the Losi 2100kv motor with my 4s pack gets up to 200 degrees even with a heat sink and fan combo on the motor.

300-350 for motor and ESC
250 and up for a good quality lipo (according to CC)
3 batts min. per car
300 for a hyperion charger/ 80 for the power supply
This is $$$$$$$$$

Don't get me wrong I love the power of my Electrics but I just don't see how they are gonna last very long im pretty sure im going to stay with nitro.

The tech told my buddy they are having alot of issues with people riunning zippy packs, so they bought a bunch of zippy packs and have tested them. Results junk. False c rating. 1 cell always turns bad after a few cycles and never is 100% at burst.

Keep in mind my buddy is not the kinda guy to take some BS answer he argued with the guy for awhile and told him that's BS that they say a zippy pack caused the meltdown and if it happens again he is up shitcreek

I find Castle's logic a bit flawed. They say that Zippy packs don't meet the C rating that they are being labeled as, they say they come up short. Ok fine, let's say they do for the sake of argument. So how does a pack that doesn't deliver as much power as advertised blow up the ESC? If anything it would cause the pack to puff but it couldn't cause the ESC to blow.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.