R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #91
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

LiPo's are not going too ruin the RC industry .

People who make assumptions about something they know little about and then post threads like this are ......
Old 08-19-2010, 08:58 AM   #92
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Lipos will ruin the hobby.

Guns kill people.

and

Pencils, pens and keyboards misspell words.

lol......... this thread is just plain retarded.
01d5k001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #93
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I have read the whole thread and it still amazes me the amount of mis-information out there. I ran Stock dirt oval in the late 80's/early 90's and remember swapping 27turn stock motors after every heat race to save my best motors fort the main. Had a Tekin peak charger that I ran off a deep cycle marine 12 volt battery to charge my Sanyo 1600 red cells. Discharged the battery packs with my 1157 20 bulb light strings to drain the batteries. Had 8 packs for just one car (an original RC10 converted to Dirt Oval). We didn't use connectors back then and hard wired everything (soldering in the packs and motors after each heat or main). Finally got bored and sold it all off.

Got back into racing in 2003 running Nitro Touring Car because I wanted to go faster and run longer than what I ran before. Ran good for a while but eventually got out of it. Fuel and tire costs finally wore me down. Wearing out a set of Nitro Shoes every other week and about a gallon of fuel a month (used to practice a lot) eventually got to be too much with the associated parts breakage and engine wear. After a few engine rebuilds and the NTC3 first design rear suspension breakage, I got out again (got out just before the 2nd design NTC rear suspension came out).

Got back in this time with a SCX-10 rock crawler and a Slash. If it had not been for Lipo batteries, I probably would have not come back. Did a lot of reading and research before coming back went Lipo this time.

To still hear people fear mongering about Lipos is beyond me. I have only seen one lipo blow up that wasn't intentional or someone disreguarding the charging guidelines. That was an 8th scale gas buggy with a lipo receiver pack that went up after a very hard hit from another buggy. We figure that the pack got punctured as the hit was hard enough that it left suspension components impailed in the buggy that went up and the othe buggy cartwheeled off minus the right front suspension with a bent chassis (like I said, it was a very hard hit). I have seen a few puffed from overdischarging but again, that is the driver's fauut not the battery.

Lipos and brushless motors have been a boom for the entire RC industry. It is now cheaper to run that it has ever been before.
CustomWorks Outlaw Sprint Car
Xray T3 2012 USVTA

Last edited by GP40X; 08-19-2010 at 11:45 AM.
GP40X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:54 AM   #94
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

On a related note:

I think brushless is going to kill RC for good.

I put a 2.5T with 12 Lipo cells in my Losi Micro and now I cant keep it running. This is proof positive that brushless is no good for our hobby.
burnineyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #95
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

+1!

yep, the 1157 bulbs u get from the auto store. I was like 12 years old (i think) putting those bulbs together. And there were a number of guys at our dirt oval track who use to solder directly. I converted a jrx2 to a truck and i ran stock truck dirt oval. It was a place called Ascott in Gardena CA. Tuesday night racing. That place use to STAY packed with racers. Those where the days.

But yes, lipo's and brushless motors are both godsend compared to back in the day. No more running one battery per day and no more worrying about replacing brushes and breaking them in. No more "man, his stock motor is way faster than mines". Those days are gone thanks to lipo's and brushless motors! No more matched cells and no more buying individual cells and soldering them together and getting frustrated because i have a cheap soldering iron that don't solder well. No more capacitors on motors to stop my AM radio from glitching over there in that one corner of the track. No more yelling out my freq number because someone in the pits left their radio on. No more waiting by the driver stand waiting for someone with your freq to be done with running their car. NO MORE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP40X View Post
I have read the whole thread and it still amazes me the amount of mis-information out there. I ran Stock dirt oval in the late 80's/early 90's and remember swapping 27turn stock motors after every heat race to save my best motors fort the main. Had a Tekin peak charger that I ran off a deep cycle marine 12 volt battery to charge my Sanyo 1600 red cells. Discharged the battery packs with my 1157 20 bulb light strings to drain the batteries. Had 8 packs for just one car (an original RC10 converted to Dirt Oval). We didn't use connectors back then and hard wired everything (soldering in the packs and motors after each heat or main). Finally got bored and sold it all off.

Got back into racing in 2003 running Nitro Touring Car because I wanted to go faster and run longer than what I ran before. Ran good for a while but eventually got out of it. Fuel and tire costs finally wore me down. Wearing out a set of Nitro Shoes every other week and about a gallon of fuel a month (used to practice a lot) eventually got to be too much with the associated parts breakage and engine wear. After a few engine rebuilds and the NTC3 first design rear suspension breakage, I got out again (got out just before the 2nd design NTC rear suspension came out).

Got back in this time with a SCX-10 rock crawler and a Slash. If it had not been for Lipo batteries, I probably would have not come back. Did a lot of reading and research before coming back went Lipo this time.

To still hear people fear mongering about Lipos is beyond me. I have only seen one lipo blow up that wasn't intentional or someone disreguarding the charging guidelines. That was an 8th scale gas buggy with a lipo receiver pack that went up after a very hard hit from another buggy. We figure that the pack got punctured as the hit was hard enough that it left suspension components impailed in the buggy that went up and the othe buggy cartwheeled off minus the right front suspension with a bent chassis (like I said, it was a very hard hit). I have seen a few puffed from overdischarging but again, that is the driver's fauut not the battery.

Lipos and brushless motors have been a boom for the entire RC industry. It is now cheaper to run that it has ever been before.
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #96
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Lagace View Post
Honestly is there still this need for fear mongering in regards to lipos?
Hear hear!

Smokey
Smokeyr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:17 PM   #97
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

People can bitch all they want about LiPo technology. But, to actually think that it would ruin an entire industry is kind of funny. All you need to do is look at the history of this hobby(which people have already done in this very thread) to see that LiPo technology like other technologies will become extinct at some point. I'm no expert, but I would give LiPo batteries another 2 or three years at most before another more powerful, longer lasting, and reliable electric energy source is ready for consumer use.

This industry like just about any other industry, is constantly evolving. I for one can't wait for the day when my transmitter has an interface as nice as my iPhone or any modern touch screen phone for that matter. They cost me the same amount of money, but my M11x has the interface of cell phone from 2002 at best. But, I'm not going to start a thread about how the RC industry is screwed because the interfaces on transmitters and chargers are a solid decade behind what are currently available on cell phones. I'm a little of track, but you see my point.

Griping about a specific form of technology is good, because it helps the entire industry progress and develop. But, making assumptions that a "lack of standards here" or some "unreliability there" with a particular power source will ruin a rather large industry, is some what retarded. Instead of bitching about what is wrong, use this media outlet to come up with solutions and reminisce about the days when it was a huge pain in the ass to be competitive.

That is my rant for the rant. This should be called the "War Stories and Rants Thread"
Old 08-19-2010, 02:24 PM   #98

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle3333 View Post
People can bitch all they want about LiPo technology. But, to actually think that it would ruin an entire industry is kind of funny. All you need to do is look at the history of this hobby(which people have already done in this very thread) to see that LiPo technology like other technologies will become extinct at some point. I'm no expert, but I would give LiPo batteries another 2 or three years at most before another more powerful, longer lasting, and reliable electric energy source is ready for consumer use.

This industry like just about any other industry, is constantly evolving. I for one can't wait for the day when my transmitter has an interface as nice as my iPhone or any modern touch screen phone for that matter. They cost me the same amount of money, but my M11x has the interface of cell phone from 2002 at best. But, I'm not going to start a thread about how the RC industry is screwed because the interfaces on transmitters and chargers are a solid decade behind what are currently available on cell phones. I'm a little of track, but you see my point.

Griping about a specific form of technology is good, because it helps the entire industry progress and develop. But, making assumptions that a "lack of standards here" or some "unreliability there" with a particular power source will ruin a rather large industry, is some what retarded. Instead of bitching about what is wrong, use this media outlet to come up with solutions and reminisce about the days when it was a huge pain in the ass to be competitive.

That is my rant for the rant. This should be called the "War Stories and Rants Thread"

here u go kyle!!!

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #99
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

LOL what a waste of internet ink.
hbj069 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #100
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 90 (100%+)

I would like a refund on the time I just spend on this rediculous thread. LIPO's have changed this hobby to a more level field , its more driver then ever before!!!
dan-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:05 PM   #101
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I can't believe what this post has turned into, and how long it has lasted.

Bottom line 1: Lipo offers people a choice of power source. Some people here love Lipo, others love NiMH. Having such a choice will make it easier for people to enter and stay with the hobby.

Bottom line 2: Nobody can argue that the high discharge capability of Lipo batteries has actually increased interest in the hobby. Most people want insane speed from their cars, boats, and planes, and Lipo offers that with the added benefit of a significant weight savings.

Enough with the other crap already.

WWW.TRAVELINGMINISPEEDWAY.COM
MojoManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #102
Tech Adept

On reflection, I think LiPos and brushless motors may be killing RC!

It makes it too easy to play with our toys - I mean if you dont have to wait 24 hrs to recharge your $100 battery after running your truck for 5 minutes, then when the hell are we going to get time to do the hustle with the neat chick from the malt shop...How will we get the next generation of rc guys!

Smokey
Smokeyr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:00 PM   #103
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

if it wasnt for lipo bl i wouldn't have got back into the hobby, maintenance sux eg changing brushes, battery discharging nicad crap ,..... lipo's are awesome! eg Li-poly cells, the "thin film rechargeable lithium battery", has been shown to provide more than 10,000 cycles.
mihy is offline   Reply With Quote