R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 08-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)
Default help with a sc10 brushless rtr

what can i do to a rtr brushless sc10 to make it faster and have better traction i would like any tips i can get thank you
ndiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Obviously go brushless and put real tires on it(AKA or JConcepts). I ended up letting go of my SC10 because their diffs can't handle brushless power. I got sick of blowing the diff gears out. It was fast though. I could come off a double and when I opened up the throttle it would stand on its rear wheels and wheelie about 40ft. down the staright.
Cody01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Faster would be gearing and battery setup, what brushless system are you using? And battery.

Better traction is tires and shock oil. Track type comes into mind also, if your track is low grip then speed wouldn't be your best bet. For my Tq truck I mostly change tires. When it's hot or cold I change shock oils. The temp out side can make shock oils thick when cold or thin when hot.

Ty
Old 08-01-2010, 11:59 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

im running the stock 3300 brushless motor it came with i did get a little more out of it by gearing it up and i will try the shock oil idea to thanks
ndiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

I'm certainly not trying to undermine any of the other posts but I feel that the SC10 Brushless is a very competant truck right out of the box depending in where and how you're running it......

Certainly track use dictates an aftermarket tire - there are LOTS out there with more grip than the stockers but be careful in your selection as the softer compounds certainly wear faster than the medium or firm. Ask around if you're running on a track and more experienced racers will be glad to help you!

If you're just bashing, probably one of the many aftermarket tires will work better - possibly the ProLine Switch which retains scale appearance with a softer (though not SUPER soft) compound which balances grip with wear. With new tires being released almost daily it's always wise to check with your local hobby shop for stock and advice!

I can't agree with Cody01 on his assessment of Associated diffs - the truck arrives with a gear diff and a brushless motor.... When you insert the variable of WHICH brushless motor - I'm sure that it's possible to stuff a 5700 or 7700 motor in the SC10 which combined with a high grip situation would certainly place extra stress on the standard gear diff. BUT, durability has certainly NOT been an issue when using the standard brushless which is more than adequate for most situations!

As far as gearing is concerned; gearing up will certainly yield more speed. BUT, under some circumstances (high grip & track use) can also yield excessive HEAT which can damage both the speed control and the motor. One or two teeth probably won't cause a lot of problems - more than that be careful and keep an eye on motor temperatures!

Enjoy your SC10 - they're a fun, quick vehicle that's durable and designed to be used by all levels of rc'ers!!!!!

Last edited by Chris K; 08-02-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Chris K is offline   Reply With Quote