R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 06-21-2004, 08:50 AM   #106
Tech Adept

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

As an American that has never driven an American manufacturer's 4WD (i.e. Losi) I would like to respond to the statement, "Not enough of your drivers were game to try other products." I've always raced 'foreign' 4WDs.

It has been my experience in the past that raceable 4WD kits used to run up to 3 times the price of a good 2WD. We are talking in the neighborhood of 450-600 US Dollars! I do not know whether this was due to import costs (from Japan, UK, <insert country here>) or simply due to lack of interest (and therefore low volume).

For the beginner/hobbyist cost is often a large factor as to what class(es) they choose to race. 'Club Level' racing is where world champions start. Also, I think 4WD has a stigma of being "hard to wrench on" due to the more complex drivetrains. I think Losi has done a good job trying to stamp out this 'rumor' and I believe that is part of their success with 4WD.

Also, until very recently (maybe 6 yrs) 'foreign' parts were hard to get in the USA. Tamiya was imported by MRC (sucked) and Yokomo...wasn't really available. Now that TamiyaUSA and YokomoUSA exist, parts for these kits are much easier to get.

Tamiya doesn't have a serious 4WD offroad kit nowadays. They just cannot compete in 'big' races. Hopefully that will change.

Yokomo does have a serious 4WD kit, but I think there is a serious lack of hobby shop support here in the US.

I believe some of the resistance to other kits relates back to nationalism. I'm sure the same could be said in the UK (for Schumacher) or Japan (for Yokomo). If it is built 'locally' parts and support are bound to be easier to find.

What is popular at the club level is what wins and what is affordable and what is easy to repair.

Currently, Losi has all three of these things covered.

As a side note: I think if the BJ4, X5, Durango or the Academy 'SB Sport' could capture a National or World title, their sales would skyrocket.

'nuff said,
MX4

PS--This is not ment to be a flame in any way ... it is just my .02 USD

Quote:
Originally posted by cannon
Guys, don't take this the wrong way but Americans seem to be too patriotic....you only really stick to American products...there is nothing wrong with this as such but until recently having only one 4WD manufacturer has meant that the class has suffered. Not enough of your drivers were game to try other products. Lets face it, you guys are largest country of racers....with enough support any class with work....but you must be willing to try a product made elsewhere (quickly putting on my bullet proof vest to fend off the flame about to come)
YoKoMo-MX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 09:04 AM   #107
Tech Elite

Greg H. - At what point does racing become more like a job? You mean Todd Hodge isn't rollin in a E55 MB.LOL! It's refreshing to hear someone say what you said. Good Luck in the future.
Chris Reilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #108
Tech Elite

It is an unbelieveably expensive proposition to produce a molded graphite chassis, much less all the other parts involved in an R/C car. Adding to the expense is the difficulty of making small things and the complexity of 4WD.

When we returned from the Nats, I spent over $5,000 on changes to the X - 5 mold to strengthen the spot where we had trouble, with no guarantee it will work, and still no guarantee I'll ever sell enough kits to get my investment back, much less make a buck. The molds for the gears, covers, and ancillary parts are adding up to 60% of the chassis mold.

I'm doing it because I believe the wheeler class has tremendous room for growth. With at least three new cars coming on stream (BJ 4X4, X - 5, and Academy) and perhaps some major media coverage, the Ford-VS-Chevy thing should start to work.

The cars are expensive, if you're getting the fully race-prepped model, but they're far more complicaterd than a 2WD, therefore priced fairly. Those driveline parts are expensive (see above). But they're the fastest thing on the track, and that's what we're here for -- going fast. And a beautiful thing, too. Watching a dialed-in wheeler navigate a difficult track faster than anything else is major.

Anything that helps the class helps all manufacturers. I hope BJ and Academy sell millions of cars, and Losi too. Success for any one makes it better for all, manufacturers and racers alike.

Finally, I agree that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Now I've got to find a driver...
YoungChazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 11:55 PM   #109
Suspended

Send a message via AIM to Gabe Boudreau

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungChazz
Finally, I agree that what wins on Sunday sells on Monday. Now I've got to find a driver...
Driver Here! I can help you with your venture. I helped Gil Losi Jr. test some of the first production XX-4's back in 97' when Team Losi first released the car.

And I hear ya about cost to produce molded chassi's...folks it is not cheap!

I too have dreams and aspirations to "take down the establishment" like Greg has said...

Hit me up if your serious about engineering to win...

Gabe Boudreau
Gabe Boudreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2004, 08:28 PM   #110
Tech Elite

I'd like to speak with you, Gabe. I can't find an E-mail address for you in the Members section here. Please check www.4wdrc.com on the Contact page, then call me or E-mail.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:11 AM   #111
Suspended

Quote:
Originally posted by YoungChazz
I'd like to speak with you, Gabe. I can't find an E-mail address for you in the Members section here. Please check www.4wdrc.com on the Contact page, then call me or E-mail.
Hey Chazz,

email is [email protected]
AIM is meancrxsi

GB
Old 06-24-2004, 11:24 AM   #112
Tech Elite

Gabe, an E-mail has been sent to the address you listed.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:19 PM   #113
Suspended

Chazz, send it again, cuz it didnt go through!

GB
Old 06-24-2004, 09:20 PM   #114
Tech Elite

There, I sent another.

If you don't get it, please go to www.4wdrc.com and check the contact page. I'd prefer a phone call.

Thanks